Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Detoxing and medicine withdrawal
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: June 08, 2009 05:38PM

I am getting ready to go all raw here soon, and have postponed because I am currently tapering off of psychiatric medications. The withdrawal symptoms are depression, anxiety, and inability to sleep much. It's awful. I'm hoping that going raw will help detox me of the medicine's (Klonopin and Trazadone) but also am worried that detoxing will excacerbate my symptoms. Does anyone have any experience or input on this? I am very eager to find some people who can give me their opinions.

Thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Detoxing and medicine withdrawal
Posted by: flipperjan ()
Date: June 08, 2009 06:03PM

Hi Annasophia,

I managed to wean myself off anti depressants before I had ever heard of raw. It took me several attempts because as you say, the symptoms kept coming crashing back. I was on the pills for several years and I do believe that although they saved me in a way at the beginning I should not have taken them for so long - I have a feeling - no proof - that they did me damage in other ways.

Just go carefully - can you wean yourself off the meds with supervision from a doctor or councellor? (Not all doctors are the enemy smiling smiley mine is very up for alternative remedies and diets so long as he see's me healthy and happy)

I did not suffer any detox reactions but some people apparently have quite severe detox symptoms. This might make coming off your meds even harder. I would suggest easing yourself towards 100% raw and being guided by how you feel. Personally I think the first task is to get off the meds. then you can address the raw buisiness - but it might be that the two go well together.

Hopefully someone better qualified than me will respond to your post. Stay in touch - we are all here to give you suppport

Posted by: cocoa_nibs ()
Date: June 08, 2009 07:31PM

Youa re getting advice from flipperjan. Also keep in mind that detox symptoms as you are weaning yourself off the meds can often mask the original symptoms, but are in reality detox. Going slow is the ticket. Very very slow. Also, many Doctors do not know much about this, research books by GLENMULLEN (Prozac Backlash and others).

Best wishes to you!

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: June 08, 2009 10:46PM

Thanks for helping.

I am so confused because part of me thinks that until i go raw, i will get no relief from this withdrawal. i really think maybe what i need to do is detox my body by going raw, so i can release any toxins that led to my problems to begin with. I'm on Trazadone, and just finished weaning from Klonopin. It's been nothing short of the worst nightmare I could have imagined for myself. I don't know where to go from here to get relief. I don't want to turn to more drugs. If anyone has been through benzodiazapine withdrawal, please give me your input on how going raw affects withdrawal. thanks so much!

Posted by: flipperjan ()
Date: June 09, 2009 07:45AM

I haven't had that family of drugs myself - my withdrawal was I think probably easier.

I really wouldn't worry too much about going 100% raw immediately - you really have got enough on your plate as it it. Eat lots of fruit and salad and maybe good cooked vegan such as steamed veg., rice, baked squash etc.

Can you get support from any self help groups or from alternative therapists. Acupuncture, reiki, massage. All these will help and you will be getting support from them. The worst part of it is when you want to hide under the bed and not see anyone but this is possibly the worst thing to do. Try and find a support network - that you can meet in the flesh smiling smiley (we can only do so much)

A few people who are/have been going through what you are will really hel[p you as you can them.

The very best of luck to you.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/09/2009 07:46AM by flipperjan.

Posted by: cocoa_nibs ()
Date: June 10, 2009 04:06AM

Again agreeing with Flipperjan. Dont focus on the number of %, just go slllllloooooowwww. I can imagine the impulse to just get the drugs out of your body as fast as possible to be very strong at the moment, but according to what I have read in the Glenmullen books too fast can backfire. I'd focus on having food give you stability and balance rather than stressing your physiology and emotional state with detoxing too fast. Best wishes on your path and I too hope you can get good support

Posted by: frances ()
Date: June 10, 2009 03:42PM

A couple weeks ago, Matt Monarch posted an interesting interview with a woman who went raw and checked herself into a rehab clinic to get off the prescribed cocktail of pharmaceuticals that was killing her. It's an extreme case, but you might find her story helpful:

Weaning off medications with Raw Foods

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables