Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

green smoothies
Posted by: marsh ()
Date: June 11, 2009 01:53AM

is there any way to make these not taste green?

i have to admit that the only green smoothie i've ever made was using spirulina. i'm leary of putting leafy greens in because i love the taste of fruit, and don't want to get a strong yukky taste. i'm looking for more ways to get more fresh greens in.

i posted here instead of the recipe forum hoping to get more feedback, and also because i don't think i need any recipes necessarily, just basic guidelines of which greens to use and how much so my fruit smoothies continue to taste good.

any and all ideas welcome....thanks alot!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: green smoothies
Posted by: pampam ()
Date: June 11, 2009 02:31AM

just take a walk on the wild side. da da da ta da you know like the song.

the best way is to add just a little greens at a time as your taste buds adjust. You don't have to make something nasty tasting I really enjoy mango with collard greens. I cut the stem off the collards because they tend to be stringy. Aher favorite is strawberry, banana with spinach but I got a little burned out on that.

Date: June 11, 2009 02:36AM

ok. such a simple concept, but brilliant. start with just a few greens... good idea.

the other thing i forgot to mention is that i don't have a fancy vita-mix, just a cheapo that requires adding liquid. upgrading to a nice blender is definitely on my list. does it make a big difference in the taste and quality of smoothies to use a better blender?

Posted by: Sapphire ()
Date: June 11, 2009 03:41AM

I notice that when I use spinach in my green smoothies, I can't taste it at all, but that might be just because I am so used to it. Try a little and see. I don't think it is very strong tasting, because I can even get my teenagers to drink it, and that's no easy feat!

My best advice is to experiment a little, you might be surprised!

Posted by: EZ rider ()
Date: June 11, 2009 03:41AM

Deleted

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/11/2009 03:46AM by EZ rider.

Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: June 11, 2009 03:48AM

Try using some romaine lettuce. When I played with green smoothies years ago, this is what I liked:

6 bananas
1/2 to 1 romaine heart
blueberries to taste

Also I liked using strawberries.

But after some time, I quit putting in the lettuce. My smoothies nowadays are just bananas & strawberries.

Posted by: pampam ()
Date: June 11, 2009 05:36AM

Marsh I have a old vita mix but I started makeing smoothies with a magic bullet and then I found a really cool blender at a yard sale that has only forward and backward but when I use the bleander and magic bullit I will chop up the greens and if useing frozen fruit I would let it defrost a little bit before blending. You really don't need the fancy stuff.

Posted by: rawdanceruk ()
Date: June 11, 2009 07:36AM

Spinach works a charm!! dosent taste green!!

Mango or berries..great combo!

Date: June 11, 2009 01:30PM

thanks alot everyone! i'll do some experimenting.

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: June 11, 2009 02:38PM

This morning a I had a purple kale, English cucumber, and banana smoothie. All I'm looking for is a "pleasant" flavor, you know, a bit grassy, a bit fruity. If it tastes yucky, that's no good!

I do mine in my Vita-Mix, and strain it slightly, because boy, that's a lot of insoluble fiber for 1 1/2 quarts! If you use just the leaves, and chop them up well before blending, and blend them in batches with lots of water, a regular blender works OK; before I go the VM, I used an Osterizer.

Posted by: lisa m ()
Date: June 11, 2009 02:52PM

I've never had a fancy blender, just regular cheapie ones, I've never had any problems blending smoothies. Just remember to add the water/fruity stuff first and blend a little to get the base going, then you can add the greens.

Date: June 11, 2009 03:55PM

great tips. thanks.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables