Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

carbohydrates???
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: June 14, 2009 07:55PM

I am in the process of trying to transition into a raw foodist and doing quite a bit of research about maintaining a balanced diet that provides me with all the nutrients I need. I became severely anemic in the past when I became a vegetarian and I want to prevent deficiencies from arising this time. I am confused about how I am going to obtain complex carbohydrates in my diet, as I am receiving only simple carbohydrates from fruit. If anyone can help me understand what I am going to replace breads, grains, pasta... with I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks a bunch!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: carbohydrates???
Posted by: EZ rider ()
Date: June 14, 2009 08:42PM

I found good definitions of simple and complex carbohydrates if anyone wants definitions of these terms:
[www.weightlossforall.com]

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: June 14, 2009 08:45PM

far as i understand some vegetables (ie: peas, corn , beans, lentils) are complex carbs, maybe sprouted grains would work for you or any of the 100's dehydrator recipies for crackers/breads etc. i make pasta from zuchini smiling smiley

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/14/2009 08:49PM by Jgunn.

Date: June 14, 2009 09:04PM

Read Douglas Graham's Grain Damage. Complex carbohydrates like the ones that you described aren't really beneficial or even necessary to the human body. They're essentially just starch and fiber - which you can find in a whole host of other foods not limited to just fruit, but vegetables, pulses, nuts, seeds, herbs and other plants. If you ever have any concerns about deficiencies, feel free to message me. I underwent a B-vitamin deficiency and had to do a lot of research to keep myself from falling prey to one again.

Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: June 15, 2009 12:25AM

brooke_j

Complex carbohydrates or starch is totally unnecessary on the raw diet. The simple carbohydrates in fruit gives cleaner and easier to obtain energy than that which comes from starch. Just make sure you eat enough fruit to satisfy your energy needs, and you'll be fine.

But eat your veggies too. Tender leafy greens that is. The starchy vegetables are totally optional and unnecessary.

Posted by: loeve ()
Date: June 15, 2009 02:03AM

brook,
Fruits high in starch, iron and vitamin C

[www.nutritiondata.com]

Vegetables high in starch, iron and vitamin C

[www.nutritiondata.com]

Nuts and seeds high in starch, iron and vitamin C

[www.nutritiondata.com]

Legumes high in starch, iron and vitamin C

[www.nutritiondata.com]

..this was a narrow search and so is an incomplete list.. hope it helps anyway

Posted by: loeve ()
Date: June 15, 2009 11:41AM

..this is from EZ's link..

The food list below shows good sources of complex carbohydrates.
Potatoes
Other root vegetables
Wholemeal breads
Granary bread
Brown bread
Pitta bread
Bagel
Wholegrain cereals
High fiber breakfast cereals
Porridge oats
All bran
Wheetabix
Shredded wheat
Ryvita crispbread
Muesli
Cassava
Corn
Yam (Sweet potato)
Oatcakes
Peas
Beans
Lentils

Date: June 15, 2009 03:20PM

You prob. already know this, but anemia is caused by iron deficiency, not carb. deficiency, so be sure and include spinach leaves in your diet. I also take an iron pill once a day. But I don't think you need to worry about not getting enough "good" carbs, all carbs from raw foods are "good" for you.

Posted by: rawdanceruk ()
Date: June 15, 2009 03:22PM

plenty of fruit and greens. end of!

Date: June 18, 2009 11:44AM

Thank you everybody for your postings!!!

Posted by: marsh ()
Date: June 18, 2009 01:32PM

before transitioning to raw, i was the biggest carb junkie on the planet. all the "good" ones, some of the "bad" ones, and lots of them, they made up the bulk of my diet. and now, i hardly touch them. they don't even sound good anymore, and i feel so much lighter, and so much better without them. the best part is, it all happened naturally. i just switched my focus to better foods and eventually the craving went away.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables