Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Stomach discomfort from eating bananas.
Posted by: Hellokitty ()
Date: June 18, 2009 06:52AM

I am trying to eat bananas only with the brown spots. But the problem is every one sells them really green or yellow. How long does it take a banana to ripen. Then I know how much I need to buy.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Stomach discomfort from eating bananas.
Posted by: debbietook ()
Date: June 18, 2009 07:08AM

Depends on the weather. Think you're in the UK, like me. Few days on a sunny windowsill?

Also, although some people will insist that only spotty bananas are ripe, I really don't agree. Sometimes spotty bananas can taste good, but other times I find they can taste unpleasant.

Yellow with the odd spot is ripe enough for me.

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: June 18, 2009 07:08AM

2-3 days maybe depends how warm the room is smiling smiley i think there is a way to speed it up by putting them in a paperbag or something .. i seem to recall someone mentioning that smiling smiley

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Posted by: rawdanceruk ()
Date: June 18, 2009 07:10AM

a good week here

dont eat them before that..not worth it for someone who has stomach trouble already!

Posted by: pakd4fun ()
Date: June 18, 2009 11:37AM

I have found if we sit them by something else, like an apple or melon, they ripen a lot faster. We live where it's hot, Louisiana, and they start to get a few spots after a couple days. I think they do ripen faster in the summer here.

We buy around 40 pounds of bananas a week and there are six of us. We LOVE them in smoothies when they are falling apart with ripeness. I have to hold the banana over the blender and pour it in when I peel it. It tastes spicy, sort of like ginger but not really. Yumm!

Posted by: Ananas comosus ()
Date: June 20, 2009 02:53AM

The stores I go to have a "discount" produce rack. There are always tons of spotty bananas and I buy them up. Otherwise, bananas ripen on my counter in 5 to 7 days. I live in the Northeastern U.S.

Posted by: juicerkatz ()
Date: June 20, 2009 03:43AM

I can't stand the taste of under-ripe bananas! To ripen them, do this, as jgunn suggested;

Put the fruit in a loosely closed paper bag. This traps the ethylene gas (emitted by the fruit) inside and accelerates ripening. Don’t seal the bag too tightly or use a plastic bag.

If you trap too much moisture, mold may grow. If you really want to ripen things in a hurry, put an apple in the bag with your other fruit — they produce a lot of ethylene gas.

I usually buy under-ripe fruit, since we go through a lot of it. That way, I can control the ripening process (to a point) to make sure I always have yummy fruit on hand.

I have a list that I compiled from various web sources on storage/handling of most fruits/veggies. I printed it out (3 sheets worth), laminated them & have them on the refrigerator door for easy, quick reference.

If you want I could pm it to you, as it is rather lengthy. Let me know. But for sure, the fruit in a loosely sealed paper bag will do the trick.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables