Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Dangours Potassium levels
Posted by: Hellokitty ()
Date: June 20, 2009 10:56AM

i went to see my GP for a blood test. She said that she was happy with this diet but as I eat about 5-7 bananas a day she said I could have dangours Potassium levels. Is this true. Some how Im thinking bananas alone wouldent cause this. Maybe bananas and vitiman pills might.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Dangours Potassium levels
Posted by: C. Dove ()
Date: June 20, 2009 11:02AM

You are correct....supplements or medications are the usual cause. Our K needs are very high. Without bloodwork,she would only be guessing. Are you over at 30 banans a day?

Date: June 20, 2009 11:32AM

I eat 5 to 7 a day

Posted by: juicerkatz ()
Date: June 20, 2009 11:57AM

I am reading through a website right now where the author is a raw foodist who consumes 12 - 20 Bananas a day.

[www.raw-food-health.net]

He has overcome many diseases by following the raw food diet. Check out his "About Andrew" page for his story. I won't really make too much comment about the GP's comments on the "possible" high Potassium levels, except to say that most Raw Foodists/Health Enthusiasts who do a lot of study/reading know more about nutrition than your average GP.

I quit seeing my GP over 15 years ago when he kept pushing allergy meds at me for sinus infections, which "miraculously" cleared up on their own when I started the raw food diet & stopped consuming meat & dairy.

Not much support for Dr.s from me...

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: June 20, 2009 12:45PM

Hellokitty,

Was your GP looking at your bloodwork as she said you could have dangerous potassium levels, or was she just winging it? That's irresponsible of her, especially if you haven't complained of chest pains, nausea, edema, low blood pressure, etc. Please explain to your GP that you are eating sufficient sodium and magnesium(these three must never be assessed separately, btw) to balance the potassium out. Then pause, and see what she says. Hopefully she'll accept this explanation.

Date: June 20, 2009 12:53PM

She is a good GP. But they don't know anything about Raw food dieting. She admited to me she doesent know and she was just going to blood check me to make sure. She was very supportive about the diet. Any way Im looking into it. Thats why i asked you guys. My health pills don't have potassium in them. and I think I will be fine i only eat 5-7 you guys eat 20 and you seem fine.

Posted by: Utopian Life ()
Date: June 20, 2009 01:00PM

i eat 20-30 a day.

Posted by: texasmelgal ()
Date: June 20, 2009 06:10PM

I don't think I could eat 20 to 30 a day! Maybe it's due to my SAD diet but banana's give me major heartburn.
This is a good question though. I've wondered about it myself.

Posted by: juicerkatz ()
Date: June 20, 2009 06:45PM

Utopian Life Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> i eat 20-30 a day.

That is amazing! Although, if you figure in what I do in smoothies, I suppose I do close to a dozen & a half. I eat about 5 a day or so, the rest in drinks. Yum!

Hellokitty - Good to hear that your GP is supportive about your diet plan; many just scoff when you tell them you are trying to make changes "naturally"...

Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: June 20, 2009 10:29PM

Right. There have been periods where I've eaten 20 or 30 bananas a day for a long period. I know everyone is different, but I think you will have a hard time poisoning yourself with ripe bananas. Most healthy food is pretty self-regulating.

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables