Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

to soak or not to soak; that is the question
Posted by: khale ()
Date: July 30, 2006 12:08PM

I've noticed a few of you making a point of not soaking your food. Storm and Jingee don't soak either. And by soaking your food I mean nuts, seeds, grains and etc. and not necessarily as a prelude to sprouting but to eating.

I'm currently soaking all nuts, seeds, and legumes prior to eating because I learned that these foods contain natural enzyme inhibitors to prevent premature sprouting and that soaking these foods not only makes them easier to digest but releases the valuable enzymes locked within them.

I guess my question is, Why would you not soak? What is the value in not soaking?

thanks,

~Kathleen

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: to soak or not to soak; that is the question
Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: July 30, 2006 12:54PM

The same thing that is in the value of cooking -taste- which does not necessarily correspond to health.

-David Mason

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: July 30, 2006 02:23PM

What are the arguments for not soaking beside the time?

Date: July 30, 2006 02:27PM

I don't understand your response David. Are you saying that soaked seeds taste better or don't taste better? In my experience they both taste good, both soaked or unsoaked. The primary reason for soaking is to enhance nutrition and digestability.

what do you think?

~K

Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: July 30, 2006 04:07PM

-I'm saying most people don't soak to save time - and that they might prefer the taste, though I believe that soaking is healthier.

-David Mason

Posted by: sodoffsocks ()
Date: July 30, 2006 04:22PM

Texture. I soak nuts when I want softer nuts for making things like cream. If I'm wanting harder nuts (for a say a pie crust), I don't soak them.

Ian.

Posted by: Ally ()
Date: July 30, 2006 08:56PM

That's such a good question Khale.

In the past I've pretty much stayed away from soaking my seeds and never soaked my nuts, mainly because of time and flavor. I like the crunchier seeds and nuts, with the burst of seed oil flavor when they're unsoaked.

Lately though I'm considering soaking SOME seeds just to bring down the fat content, since they're less fatty when they're soaked. Perhaps both the soaked and unsoaked nuts/seeds have their place in an optimal diet.

With all the trouble people can have in staying raw, a regimen that excludes ONLY unsprouted nuts and seeds because of something like enzyme inhibitors (a concept that never would have occurred to our raw ancestors) in my opinion is not conducive towards steady maintenance of raw. In addition to not always being convenient, it may not be satisfying enough. And for some of us who lose excessive weight when going raw, we may need the fats contained in the unsprouted nuts and seeds. In addition, the unsprouted nuts and seeds contain more protein, which may be desireable if we don't eat a large quantity of other foods for whatever reason. Like maybe we just can't afford to buy a whole lot of fruit and veggies. Those foods aren't cheap. Or maybe we just don't have the stomach capacity for so much quantity.

Anything that makes maintaining a raw diet easier might be an indication that it's a good thing. If a raw diet is the best and most natural diet for humans, it shouldn't be so difficult to maintain.

I was just thinking about this very issue this morning, when I thought about the wild pigs. Where I live, we have a lot of wild pigs, a cross between the Polynesian pig and the European wild boar. Most people hate them and shoot them whenever possible, but we've become somewhat attached to them and have quite a large herd here on our land. They love our place because there's so much fruit, but most of all, because there's so much macadamia nuts. Naturally, the pigs don't soak nuts before they eat them. They just crunch them on down. Of course, humans are different than pigs (sometimes), but the same is true with squirrels, monkeys, and all other species that eat nuts and seeds. In fact it's probably true that all of the more primitive indigenous humans eat wild nuts without soaking them. The Hunzas, some of the longest living people on the earth, string the unsoaked apricot seeds to eat during the day while at work.

To say that humans have to soak their nuts when all other critters do not, is to me, similar to saying that humans have to eat cooked food when all other critters do not. Maybe the enzyme inhibitors need more thorough study. Maybe we somehow release them during digestion. I don't know, but the evidence in nature is that rather than being unhealthy, unsprouted nuts/seeds are a staple for many critters, including centenarian humans who labor and maintain their health well past their hundreds.

Well that's my take on it. Sprout em and don't sprout em; they're both good for you. Maybe lower your weight with more sprouted than unsprouted, and gain weight with more unsprouted than sprouted. Raw maintenance is the priority.

Best wishes, -Ally

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/30/2006 08:57PM by Ally.

Posted by: Ally ()
Date: July 30, 2006 10:20PM

Oops, In my last post, beginning of the 4th paragraph, I meant "a regimen that INCLUDES ONLY unsprouted nuts and seeds...in my opinion is not conducive towards steady maintenance of raw."

Sorry. But I probably said enough smiling smiley that you got my meaning.

-Ally

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/30/2006 10:22PM by Ally.

Posted by: thehulaqueen ()
Date: July 30, 2006 11:16PM

David Wolfe recently said in a talk that people should eat some unsoaked at times. Apparently they contain some amino acids that are changed by soaking into something else. He was recommending to soak most though.

Date: July 31, 2006 12:35AM

hey thanks everyone.

I like the idea of both soaked and unsoaked being good for you in different ways.

...works for me.

~Kathleen

Posted by: rawgosia ()
Date: July 31, 2006 03:49AM

I tend not to soak the nuts. Soaking them would mean planning to eat them, and I never do (I do not eat nuts often). I noticed though that soaked almonds taste better than the unsoaked ones.

Gosia

RawGosia channel
RawGosia streams

Posted by: alive! ()
Date: July 31, 2006 08:17PM

I eat a combination of soaked and unsoaked. I usually buy 5 lbs of pumpkin seeds at a time, bring them home and soak all of them, let them sprout for a day and then dehydrate them. If nuts and seeds have been soaked, sprouted and then dehydrated, they are MORE crunchy than unsoaked. Also, I occasionally marinate some of them in: Nama Shoyu, lemon juice and cumin and then dehydrate. But, not too often, because I have a hard time when they are in the house - can't get stopped and then I go way over my limit of what's healthy. Plus, I'm trying to cut down on my nuts, seeds and fats. I think my body is telling me it's time. I am starting to really like the way I feel when I've eaten lighter, simpler meals. I had a big salad today, but it was just romaine lettuce, cucumber and french dressing. No nuts, seeds or avos. I feel real good!

Life Is Good!

alive!

Posted by: purenkind ()
Date: July 31, 2006 09:40PM

i also buy several pounds of nuts at a time, then soak, sprout and dehydrate and store them. that way when i want to make a pie crust or something i have crunchy soaked nuts on hand to use. i find them lighter, tastier and crunchier than unsoaked. when i'm making a particular recipe that will require blending up nuts, like cashews for a raw pudding, i will use unsoaked nuts, soak them and then use them right away.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: August 01, 2006 12:50AM

Do you include avocado seeds and citrus fruit seeds in your smoothies? They do not seem natural to me but with a speed blender, some rawfooders are using them, I read.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables