Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

water fasting
Posted by: all4greens ()
Date: June 24, 2009 08:41PM

Is water fasting sonthing benifical for raw fooders, and if so is it better to do it when your newer to raw life or more advanced?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: water fasting
Posted by: suncloud ()
Date: June 24, 2009 10:58PM

For me, water fasting has always been beneficial, as long as I don't do it for too long or too often, and as long as I don't depend on fasting alone for my health. Fasting is most beneficial when combined with a healthy diet and lots of exercise.

If you'd like to try water fasting, maybe try a juice fast for a few days first, so you'll have an idea of what to expect.

It would be helpful to read some good books on fasting before you do it:

-Rational Fasting, by Arnold Ehret
-Fasting and Eating for Health, by Joel Fuhrman, M.D.
-The Miracle of Fasting, by Paul Bragg
-Fasting Can Save Your Life, by Herbert Shelton

It's probably good to limit your water fasting to 3 days the very first time.

And definitely beware of what you eat when you break your fast. You can really hurt yourself if you eat the wrong thing, especially the first day after fasting. The appetite often comes roaring back soon after a first bite of food, so you really have to be mentally prepared, and careful to keep that under control.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/24/2009 11:07PM by suncloud.

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: June 24, 2009 11:02PM

if you have time to just fast and rest its a great thing, i wouldnt suggest trying to continue working or home improvement projects or dealing with stress etc. while fasting

just water fast and rest if you have time and you will gain the benefits smiling smiley

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Posted by: juicerkatz ()
Date: June 24, 2009 11:18PM

I have water fasted a few times; It can be difficult, both mentally & physically. If you are very toxic, it can be a hard & fast flush on your system and that can make you feel very out of sorts.

I did it while on the SAD & I wasn't prepared for the symptoms which were very harsh for me. Leading into it with juices, as suncloud suggested, and also breaking the fast with juices is a good thing. Juices with berries would be good, as all berries are blood purifiers.

And, as Jgunn mentioned; plenty of rest, if you can do it. Allowing the body to flush while minimizing other, especially strenuous activities is a good thing.

Posted by: kwan ()
Date: June 24, 2009 11:33PM

I've done it a few times too. It can indeed be really tough if you have to work and be active at all.

The best water fast I ever did was 14 days on a camping trip, where I was able to lie still most of the time and just enjoy reading, meditating, and breathing fresh air. I'd get up to swim in the ocean a bit, or do some qigong, but I didn't have to do anything too taxing. I could have actually gone a little longer, thanks to all the rest and beautiful environment I fasted in, but on the 14th day I had to go home on a boat, so I quit then and there in order to have the strength to pack up our gear and carry a heavy backpack.

Sharrhan:

[www.facebook.com]

Posted by: juicerkatz ()
Date: June 24, 2009 11:54PM

kwan, that is a cool thing to be able to do! I just wish I could take 2 wks. off & go out into the woods & become "one with nature", while doing a water/juice fast. Sadly, with my schedule, it ain't gonna happen anytime soon...

Posted by: debbietook ()
Date: June 25, 2009 06:22AM

Yes, it is beneficial.

How about trying a 24-hour water fast?

Tips here:

[debbietookrawforlife.blogspot.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/25/2009 06:23AM by debbietook.

Posted by: kwan ()
Date: June 25, 2009 03:57PM

Yes, even a day or two of water fasting is really helpful. Sometimes if I really feel a need to fast, but I'm busy, I can still manage 36 hours of water fasting. If you juice fast for 2-3 days before water fasting, it's even easier.

Sharrhan:

[www.facebook.com]

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: June 25, 2009 04:24PM

i agree with sharrhan , i find it quite difficult to go from solid foods to just water unless im really feeling a fast is critical *NOW* i ease into it and then ease out of it. how i do this more or less is like this

solid raw foods 3-4 days
smoothies 3-4 days
juicing 3-4 days
water 3-4 days (or up to 7 days if feeling really low or toxic or stressed)
juicing 3-4 days
smoothies 3-4 days
solid raw foods 3-4 days

repeat...
repeat...
repeat... hehe ya get the picture smiling smiley

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Posted by: The Fruit Faery ()
Date: June 28, 2009 05:21PM

I agree with the posts above, mentioning gradual movement into, through and out of water fasting.

Maybe try juice fasting before water fasting
Be gentle with yourself

ffx

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables