Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Colon cancer recovery and Raw food
Posted by: fiddler1 ()
Date: July 04, 2009 04:07PM

My mother has had a large portion of her colon removed due to cancer about 2 years ago. She is healthy now but finds it very difficult to eat raw foods. I thought that since the enzymes were still intact in raw food, it may be easier for her body to digest. All she seems to eat are eggs and cooked potatoes. She was the original health food nut when she raised us and it is difficult for her not to be able to eat the fresh veggies that she used to. She is 75 years old, active and has all her marbles! Any ideas why she is having this trouble (diarrhea and gut pain after eating) and perhaps what she can do about it?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Colon cancer recovery and Raw food
Posted by: all4greens ()
Date: July 04, 2009 04:15PM

The diarrhea may be caused by the fact that part of her colon was removed. food is still mostly in the liquid state while in the small intestines. The liquid begins to be pulled out in the first part of the colon so the fact that its gone my be the cause and perhaps the pain. Suz

Posted by: LikeItOrNot ()
Date: July 04, 2009 04:31PM

I don't understand this post.. So her colon was removed 2 years ago, and NOW is the only time she's ever had diahreah? Were her stools normal before she tried raw?

If she's been eating ONLY or MOSTLY cooked eggs and cooked potatoes for 2 years, anything new she'd eat would give her cramps and diahreah.

If she's always had the diahreah - half her colon is gone which means the stools can't form into normal stools.

She should probably ease into raw and start with Juices and blended foods. Easier for the gut to "digest" since juices don't really digest.

Posted by: Sapphire ()
Date: July 04, 2009 04:40PM

I think that for pretty much everyone who goes from the type of diet you are describing that your mom is following who goes to a purely raw food diet, there will be some very interesting cleansing processes. This would not be all that unusual even for someone with no major health history, and will settle down very quickly - same with any bloating or stomach discomfort. I remember when I first switched to raw food, I was shocked at how bloated I was at first, but in a very short time, I was actually much less bloated than I had ever been when cooked.

I don't know if you mom's health and colon conditions would make it a little more challenging to make the change, but a little diarrhea at first is probably just the start of the body adjusting to the change. After a few days or weeks, I bet it would all settle down. I think that a few people try raw food, and are put off by the initial cleansing that the body goes through, but it is really a good thing, and only temporary.

But really, I am not knowledgeable about your mom's condition, she is the best judge of that. If she feels that it is more than just the adjustment to the change, she may be right and might consider seeking a professional opinion.

Date: July 04, 2009 05:33PM

My mother is not attempting to eat a raw only diet. She is trying to find things that her body can take. She has been experimenting over the past two years and has pretty much had diarrhea regularly. You can understand her fear of trying new things. At times she cannot even go out for fear of having an "episode".

Nothing with seeds, no nuts, she can handle cooked carrots and most cooked vegetables but has trouble with the raw. I think juicing may be an answer for her, I have a great juicer (angel 3500) and will perhaps try her on some veggie juices. Thanks

Posted by: EZ rider ()
Date: July 04, 2009 06:16PM

I agree with Sapphire's post above that when a person first goes raw vegan "stirring up" and "bloating" usually are some of the early detox symptoms they experience. I think thats because the body is scraping the walls of the colon clean with all the quantity of roughage found in raw vegan foods. Also the change in the quality of the roughage is a factor. Take a look at a raw carrot compared to a cooked carrot. Take your fork and mash the cooked carrot and then mash the raw carrot. Something happens to the cooked fiber that effects peristalsis. I also agree with Sapphire that in time the effects of eating raw foods should settle down.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/04/2009 06:28PM by EZ rider.

Posted by: tanawana ()
Date: July 04, 2009 10:35PM

Raw vegetables are trying on digestion in all cases. Most people don't notice it though and it is not that big a concern. But, in your Mother's case with a compromised colon she will be more aware of issues as well as most people with sensitive digestion.

Raw Foods isn't a guarantee of easy digestion.There are many types of Raw foods(vegetables, greens, fats, fruit, skins, etc) to consider.

My advice is if she wants these vegetables to try steaming, otherwise just stick to the raw foods that don't cause distress.

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: July 05, 2009 03:10AM

fiddler 1,

How is your mother's liver/gallbladder system? Did it incur any damage during her treatments, whatever they may have been? Chronic diarrhea in such a case could be a bile-production disorder.

Date: July 05, 2009 06:09PM

She has had her gall bladder removed.

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: July 05, 2009 09:21PM

Ah, that explains the chronic diarrhea. A raw diet would actually benefit her, especially if it consisted of a lot of blended green drinks. Anything that helps to limit/regulate bile overproduction--the lower fat, the better. Fat, and complex protein, for that matter, are murder on an overtaxed liver or gallbladder.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables