Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

A question for the women
Posted by: Rawrrr! ()
Date: August 01, 2006 06:26AM

I always have my menses 1 time a mth. Since I've started the raw food diet, I've been spotting and started again 2 weeks after my last menses. Have you had this happen to you? I appreciate all helpful advise. Thank you!!

PS. I started drinking organic raw cow milk because I started to lose my hair and felt I needed more protein and b12, which it stopped my hair loss. Not sure if this is the cause because I can't remember if I was spotting before. Just thought I would throw that it just incase it may or may not be a suspect.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: A question for the women
Posted by: khale ()
Date: August 01, 2006 12:00PM

Yes. I have experienced some changes in my menstrual cycle...however, at my age I can't be certain whether or not the diet is a contributing factor. I may simply be heading into full-fledged menopause. All I can say is that prior to these dietary changes I was regular and since the diet I have skipped a month altogether.

However, I do believe that when you change one thing regarding the body you wittingly or unwittingly change the entire system as everything within the body system is related to everything else.

~K

Posted by: luna_sky_1 ()
Date: August 02, 2006 12:46AM

I think after your body detoxes and readjusts, things go back to a normal flow, though. Maybe not as long or as heavy, but no skipping.

Posted by: Jen Rose ()
Date: August 02, 2006 01:24AM

I don't know about your moon cycle but if you are losing your hair and need more protien and B's I would start taking E3Live.

www.e3live.com

Jen Rose

"You must first unlearn the lies, and then you will have room for the truth"

Posted by: life101 ()
Date: August 02, 2006 07:02AM

I eat raw egg yolks to help with the B12. Raw milk if it has colloidal silver would be good, too.

I avoid E3 live as it has spirulina which I'm allergic to.

Yes, your period will change on raw. There is a good article that was linked in another forum. It is [www.waldorfhomeschoolers.com]

Just copy and paste the link to read about raw vegan diet affecting the menses.

Take care.
Therese

Posted by: Rawrrr! ()
Date: August 02, 2006 07:57AM

Thanks Therese for your kind letter & help. Please tell me why I need the colloidal silver in the milk. Do the raw milk companies add it themselves, or do I add it myself?

Posted by: shep252 ()
Date: August 09, 2006 10:13PM

WOW, life 101, that was a great wedsite, I just bookmarked it. I've heard of this happening, but this gave great medical evidence behind it all.

I just lost my period after 1 1/2 months of being about 85-90% raw. My husband and I found that I'm not pregnant either. I know I'm not deficient in anything, too. I'm not even losing my hair. It is as thick and shiny than it's ever been. I am looking forward to not experiencing the bad symptoms of menstrating. My question is am I done detoxing if I'm not getting my period anymore?

So, yeah rawrrr, I am experiencing changes, too.

Posted by: sunshine79 ()
Date: August 11, 2006 03:16PM

Just the other day I was reading Paul Nison's interview of Gabriel Cousens, and here's what he (Dr. Cousens) had to say on the topic:

that in his observation the healthiest women have the lightest flow, it can be as light as 1 day with no adverse effects. There should always be a period - if it stops, that means there's an imbalance, or the woman doesn't have enough body fat. The body stops the menstrual flow to protect the woman (and possibly the species).

Date: August 11, 2006 06:45PM

Sunshine, can I ask you a question, then? Why then when I was on the SAD diet all my life (an unbalanced diet) did I have a period, now that I am eating everything that has vitamis and minerals including Blue-Green algae and fats am I not getting a period?

And if a woman is suppose to have a period, will I get it back after I gain more fat from the raw diet? I have heard that in some women it doesn't return unless a woman starts eating meat and dairy again. (According to this website[www.waldorfhomeschoolers.com] ) And why do woman have healthy pregnancies and deliveries on the raw diet without having a period? Just curious what your opinion on the above is.

Date: August 11, 2006 07:12PM

Wow that's interesting. I'm no expert so I don't have any opinion myself, I just thought I'd share what Dr. Cousens had said in his interview. Who knows... I wish there was more research.

I can share my own personal experience though - when I was in high school I did a low-fat vegetarian except fish diet, including lots of raw fruits and vegetables - and for a year I had no period. I was also probably anorexic (95 lbs - I'm 5'2"winking smiley. On the raw diet with plenty of fat I still get a period, even though I lost weight.

But if you eat fat, eat greens, vegetables, fruits - and still get no period, then it can't be unhealthy to not have one, can it? I mean if ppl on the SAD diet have a very heavy flow, and ppl on the raw diet sometimes have none - it seems to me that having none would have to be healthier.

Who knows, I'm going to read that article above, maybe that'll shed some light.

Date: August 11, 2006 07:21PM

Hey! Thanks for your thoughts! Interesting indeed. I guess everyone is different.

Date: August 11, 2006 07:24PM

Interesting article! - the waldorf home schoolers one above. Couldn't get through it all though, too squeamish. Def makes you think though...

Also I don't know if anyone else ever noticed this but they don't sell those junior size light tampons by themselves anymore. They have like ultra extra super plus tampons now, but no more junior size, they've been discontinued.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/11/2006 07:29PM by sunshine79.

Posted by: Horsea ()
Date: August 13, 2006 06:15PM

Off-topic a bit - I enjoyed reading Steiner's views on vegetarianism (found on www.waldorfhomeschoolers.com mentioned above). Thanks for that link.

Posted by: rosie ()
Date: August 27, 2006 09:14AM

WOAH!! I've got another testimony
I;ve been transitioning raw for about a year
fruitarian daily with salads for sup.
then this past month I ate a yogurt and sashimi three times!!!

Now i definitly was flowing more heavily and brightly than this whole time,
and I felt not one cramp, emotional imbalance (which is another topic all together) or uncomfortablility...except that it was the heaviest flow in my life.
So back to the fruit my dears.
thanks for the links and good support
we'll be in touch
Rosie

Date: August 27, 2006 10:26PM

Cool!

Yeah, an update on me is I did get my period 2 weeks late. But I didn't get the horrible cramps like I used to!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables