Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

The Raw Guru Wars
Posted by: RusticBohemian ()
Date: July 07, 2009 02:11AM

At times, the clash between the the "raw gurus" - a term I dislike, btw - and between the followers of the raw gurus, can get quite heated.

One says one thing. Another another thing. People get pissed. Forum members get banned. It goes on and on.

I've recently come up with my litmus test for raw gurus - what I apply to them before I'll really listen to their message beyond a superficial level.

I've posted it on my website, and I'd like to hear your thoughts as well: www.raw-food-health.net/Raw-Guru.html

What additional criteria do you apply, and what in my list do you think is misplaced?

Peace,
Andrew

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: The Raw Guru Wars
Posted by: plainlydressed ()
Date: July 07, 2009 02:16AM

Very balanced, practical, and logical. Thank you for sharing this with us. I agree with you. When it comes down to it for me, it's pretty basic:

* How do I FEEL ?
* What foods are READILY available (and affordable) to me at grocery or local markets?
* What best fits my schedule and preferences?

I really don't need a guru, except to get me started. I have enough intelligence to take it from there. =)

BTW - I just want the recipe to that gorgeous Corn/Tomato salad in the PICTURE on that webpage !!!!!!!! *LOL* =)

"Educate and inform the whole mass of the people... They are the only sure reliance for the preservation of our liberty."
—Thomas Jefferson

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: July 07, 2009 02:20AM

i think the only guru people need to tap into is themselves.

what makes a good self guru in my opinon?

common sense
excellent research skills
being able to make a decision one way or another
listening to the selfs body signals
making an attempt to make TODAY better then yesterday
an understanding of basic biology and physiology
giving something a chance to work

im sure i could think of more smiling smiley

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: July 07, 2009 05:34AM

People buy the sizzle - not the steak. If YOU are very excited and living your dreams....then people will want to follow you too....and argue about YOUR technique....which is entirely secondary to your passion. Thus, there is only ONE path...the passion in the individual. The rest is just finding the right suit for the occasion. Heh..heh.

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Posted by: plainlydressed ()
Date: July 07, 2009 12:09PM

David - I always appreciate your logical posts on this forum. Thank you.

"Educate and inform the whole mass of the people... They are the only sure reliance for the preservation of our liberty."
—Thomas Jefferson

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: July 07, 2009 03:17PM

Good post, Andrew. It is exasperating sometimes. I like to read what every "expert's" argument is, but I am ever thankful that I am not a "follower."

Posted by: madinah ()
Date: July 08, 2009 04:04PM

RusticBohemian Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> At times, the clash between the the "raw gurus" -
> a term I dislike, btw - and between the followers
> of the raw gurus, can get quite heated.
>
> One says one thing. Another another thing. People
> get pissed. Forum members get banned. It goes on
> and on.
>
> I've recently come up with my litmus test for raw
> gurus - what I apply to them before I'll really
> listen to their message beyond a superficial
> level.
>
> I've posted it on my website, and I'd like to hear
> your thoughts as well:
> www.raw-food-health.net/Raw-Guru.html
>
> What additional criteria do you apply, and what in
> my list do you think is misplaced?
>
> Peace,
> Andrew

Your own arguments are questionable especially point 1. <Finding A Raw Guru: Trying To Have It Both Ways>
Just because raw fresh food is superior does not imply that we cannot eat other foods. Just because hybrid cars are better does not imply we cannot drive other cars. Food is cultural and we cannot expect all to jump to a 100 percent raw food diet besides there is not a single case of a 100 percent rawfooder living long. It is the 100 percent raw fanatic that make raw food not being embraced by more

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/08/2009 04:04PM by madinah.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: July 08, 2009 06:15PM

You are correct in saying this about "Raw Gurus". I'm sick of them. How hard is it to figure out what is healthy and what isn't. The Raw Gurus are ego-driven individuals that are generally condescending toward anyone who hasn't been "raw" for 10 years. I've been raw for nearly 10 years and I love telling people about it. But I don't make it my life. Beware of the RG's who do raw foods for a living. If they don't have a restaurant, then what are they doing to make a living. Let me guess, pretending to know more than anyone else.

Posted by: jericho sunfire ()
Date: July 08, 2009 06:57PM

I dont really think that the raw gurus have any power, it is the consumer or fan that gives them the´power!

I always know something is not right when a bunch of people say that this is the best way to go because I know the importance of individuality.

Theres nothing wrong with raw gurus but you simply have to choose one thats right for you at any given time.

JS

JERICHO SUNFIRE-BASIC TRAINING
www.jerichosunfire.com

Posted by: pampam ()
Date: July 08, 2009 07:32PM

There needs to be a variety of people in order to reach out to new comers in the raw food movement. People are individuals and have a wide variety of interests so there is a variety of people out there to share there experiances in being raw. One problem i have since becoming raw is I need to find a way to earn money but there are so many things out there that i really don't want to be a part of so I get a little frusterated. I no longer desire to work in the medical area and don't want to work in the food business. I want to be able to share about the changes the raw diet bring to the human body so in many ways I understand why these people want to share there lives in the raw food business. I am sure there are some snakes in the works as in any area of life but its up to us to discern those snakes and stay away from them, right?
I have some raw leaders I really admire and some I don't but the ones I don't I feel are for other people however there are some that teach things I absolutly disagree with and have no problem stateing my disagreements with these people but there are always going to be a contraversy to ponder on, like the raw cocao and just how much fruit one should eat in a day.
Life is full of conflicts.

Posted by: debbietook ()
Date: July 08, 2009 09:46PM

Madinah, how do you know there is not a single case of a 100% raw fooder living long? Do you know the diet of every human being in the world? If you said not a single 'publicised' case you might have a point. It's certainly true that only a very tiny weeny percentage of people are 100% raw, and that could have been why you haven't heard of any living long - because there are so few of them!

Also, sure...not everyone wants to be 100% raw and some find it difficult to be 100% raw. High-raw diets are great diets! But take care not to 'judge' those who simply don't want to eat cooked food!

Love, '100% raw fanatic'. :-)

Posted by: The Fruit Faery ()
Date: July 08, 2009 10:51PM

100% raw fanatic.
Ha love it too.
So Sweet. (not wishing to appear condescending)

ffx

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables