Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Raw Vegan Puppy story
Posted by: The Fruit Faery ()
Date: July 11, 2009 11:38AM

Apologies for asking this on the main forum.
The pet section has been static for a while.

Any of you own a RV dog?

I switched my 6 month old puppy to total RV about 10 days ago ( after much deliberation/ research and desperation, due to the puppy being very sick.
She has been x rayed and blood tested by a vet. Tests normal.
I also have an older dog that will remain on her traditional diet, She shows no interest in fruit and veggies, whereas the puppy loves it.

I knew this was controversial, but it worked for me, so why not her?
I need not have worried.
The puppy is now enjoying the same health benefits as I am. No more sickness or diarrhoea.

Although she had lots of energy, she lost a dramatic amount of weight in the first few days, now she is starting to gain slightly.
She is also leaving unwanted food,and returning to it if she feels like it. On the traditional diets, she gulped and vomited.

She is now on a diet of whole fruit, veggies nuts and seeds. Just like me!
Her eyes are clear. They no longer have a mucky discharge.
A huge plus is she no longer has breath or flatulent odour!

I cant tell you how pleased i am to have a healthy happy puppy again.
As for many of us, raw vegan food came to her rescue.

As soon as she hears the sound of the vitamix, she comes running!

ffx

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Raw Vegan Puppy story
Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: July 11, 2009 01:07PM

That's very interesting. As the owner of a partly raw old guy dog, I am intrigued. Best of luck to you and the pup!

Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: July 11, 2009 01:15PM

Excellent. There are many good sites out there....as reference for raising RV pets. Many agree that this can be done....if the dog/cat gets the requirements it needs. Here's an article I can across:

[www.vegandognutritionassociation.com]

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Posted by: WorkoutMan ()
Date: July 11, 2009 05:50PM

I dont want to rain on your parade, but you should reconsider and do more research. Dogs should mostly be eating raw meat, and should still get awesome benefits eating this way. Your puppy's conditions are likely clearing up from avoiding toxic grain and soy products contained in dog food.

Posted by: Sundancer ()
Date: July 11, 2009 08:16PM

Our dog eats 80% or more raw, but not vegan. He does love veggies and fruit and gets as much as he wants.

Date: July 11, 2009 08:17PM

I say if your dog is thriving, it must work for her. Dogs are omnivore, so if she's eating it healthfully, then great!!

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: July 11, 2009 10:25PM

WorkoutMan,

Agree with you about grains, but also agree with Sundancer--it's cats that are carnivores, and cannot thrive without meat. Dogs can do fine without it.

Date: July 12, 2009 12:04AM

Thanks for all of your posts.
(Useful link DZM)

WorkoutMan
Dont worry, you are not raining on my parade!
I expected someone to suggest i reconsider. No problem.
I have never fed the puppy soy products. I would not eat it myself.
most grain based products appear to make her hyperactive and incredibly flatulent.

I tried feeding her raw meat over about 4 days. The result was chronic diarrhoea and vomiting. My other dog has been fed on high raw meat for about 5 years. She is fine with it.

The most obvious thing to do was to at least try the rv diet.
so far, so good.

I will continue to research, observe and get her checked out regularly.

Anyway, if she remains so fit and healthy she will be able to catch her own meat if she wants it that much! I have no problem with that.

ffx

Date: July 12, 2009 12:51PM

Ani Phyo (well known raw foodist whose book I have) has a beautiful raw vegan dog. Her book has pix of the dog and recipes for dog food.

Date: July 12, 2009 04:22PM

Sundancer Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Ani Phyo (well known raw foodist whose book I
> have) has a beautiful raw vegan dog. Her book has
> pix of the dog and recipes for dog food.

Hi Sundancer
Kanga does look in great shape.
Ani's chapter about kanga helped sway family opinion towards trying pup on rv.
I had a look through ani's dog food recipies.
They contain salt,and garlic. Im not sure about that. I dont eat that myself. Im not sure about the dehydrated treats either. When i ate that stuff it made me feel quite ill.
The pup is doing well on chopped fruit n veggies. She has smoothie with me in the morning.
Pup loves avacado. I have been told that i should not feed this to a dog as it contains persin which is aparrently canine toxic.
Ani lists avacado as a food that Kanga regularly eats.

The place that i have found myself in is reminiscent of when i started out on my raw food journey. Some say this, others say that, scare mongerers and snake oils salesmen to encounter!
Its going to be another learning curve for me and pup.

Apart from pup's healing, which is wonderful in itself, this experience has had another really positive effect on my life.
I made a decision to let go of the occasional non raw items in my diet.

I have been totally raw many times. I still let these things creep back in.
After five days of no non raw, i have to say that there is a huge difference between high raw and everything i eat being raw.

It is said that when the student is ready, the teacher appears!

ffx

Posted by: EZ rider ()
Date: July 12, 2009 05:37PM

The Fruit Faery

i have to say that there is a huge difference between high raw and everything i eat being raw.

I agree. Being high raw is like drinking water thats 10% or 20% polluted compared to drinking clean water. Big difference.

Date: July 12, 2009 07:53PM

Here is a picture of my healthy puppy
ffx

Date: July 13, 2009 01:05PM

Hey Fruit Faery--
Your puppy is gorgeous!!! My four year old says your puppy is waiting for a big salad!! Our dog and cats love avocado and have had no problems with it.

Date: July 13, 2009 05:13PM

Thanks Sundancer
A large salad with avocado on the menu tonight!
Celery and citrus are the only things that she has refused so far.
Her favourite appears to be cantaloupe melon / pineapple and banana smoothie or salad with avocado.

Posted by: Frannie ()
Date: July 31, 2009 02:44PM

My dog is 5 years old now and has been raw from conception. She is mostly a raw meat eater though with some fruit and veg. For financial reasons she was eating mostly non-organic chicken, bones and meat. She seemed to be doing well on this until she got an ear infection which would not clear up even with as a last resort antibiotics until I started feeding her organic meat.

On organic meat she has also stopped having the bloody discharge most dogs have when in season. This is something I have always wondered about. I believe that it's only human females eating cooked food and our pets who have bloody discharges during their cycles and I could never figure out why my dog was still having a bloody discharge even though she was eating raw. I changed her over to organic meat 8 months ago and when she came into season last week there was almost no blood at all. Anyone else have this experience as well?

Love, Francis

Date: July 31, 2009 06:55PM

Hi Frannie
Interesting, isn't it?
My pup is now just over 7 months, she has just started her first season.

She has been totally raw vegan since June 28th, (just over a calendar month)
Previous to that she had a diet high in raw fruit and veggies.

No blood or discharge so far!
I had a suspicion that this would be the case, as her diet does not contain animal products or cooked food.
Swelling started 8 days ago, so only time will tell.
I will let you know what happens.

Posted by: musicbebe ()
Date: October 04, 2009 09:46PM

I am about to start my labs on a raw vegan diet again. I will be supplementing with raw organic chicken backs, for their teeth. I will carefully observe how this diet affects them and adjust accordingly. I have done an all raw meat diet for them before, and their health was not great. Raw vegan showed a lot of promise (fresh breath, good color--but I did not try it for long).

Fruit Faery, how is the diet working for your dog at this point? Any recommendations? I plan on feeding the bulk of their diet with Ani Phyo's main recipe.

Date: October 10, 2009 10:39AM

Hi musicbebe
The puppy is fine. She has raw fruit, vegetables, nuts and seeds.
I just chop it up small and she eats it. She also loves fruit smoothies. She hates green juice and blended veggies.
A favourite pass time of hers is to go blackberry picking in the local woods!
She eats whole bananas. She peels them,then eats the skins afterwards.
The downside of keeping a Rv dog is that she has eaten most of this years soft fruit crop and courgettes etc!
I will be investing in better fencing for next year!
Hope your transition goes well.
ffx

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables