Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Strategy for slips
Posted by: EZ rider ()
Date: July 11, 2009 07:53PM

I was just thinking about Possible strategies to use when tempted to "slip":
Maybe stop eating (fast) until raw food looks good again or the pull from junk food diminishes. Do you have a strategy ready to go if you get tempted to eat junk food ?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Strategy for slips
Posted by: rawdanceruk ()
Date: July 11, 2009 08:02PM

go outside and train.

Keep no cash/card

avoid going to grocery stores(buy everything bulk)

cuts out temptation for me...

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: July 11, 2009 08:38PM

No need to buy everything bulk, buying fruit bulk and it will go off.

The best strategy is to never let yourself go hungry. If you're tempted to slip, or even if you think about processed foods, then you know you're hungry.

There is no possibility of "enjoying" synthetic foods more because you can only taste raw foods, all of your tastebuds are fully utilised you just have to get used to it more... and you can only eat a small number of processed foods while you can eat loads and loads of delicious raw fruit & veg.

Posted by: rawdanceruk ()
Date: July 11, 2009 09:18PM

I dont have any problem with fruit going off smiling smiley eat it up!

Date: July 11, 2009 09:22PM

No need to feel bad about a slip. Look at slips as an opportunity to learn and grow. Just think about Thomas Edison when he invented the electric light bulb. Each time he wasn't successful he didn't quit he just learned another way that didn't work and so he was getting closer each time to succeeding. It took him a 1000 tries before he finally figured out the way that worked. Perseverance wins.

Date: July 11, 2009 09:40PM

The reason I started this thread is I just slipped. It was the first slip that I have had in over a year. I immediately started taking notes about this experience realizing that "its not what happens to a person that matters but what he/she does with what happens that counts". After that I laughed and felt good about it knowing that it was a one meal set back and most definitely an opportunity to learn and grow. So if you have any thoughts or ideas about slips and slip strategies I would like to hear em - I'm all ears. :)

Posted by: plainlydressed ()
Date: July 11, 2009 11:57PM

I appreciate this thread, because I'm starting week #4 on 100% RAW and feeling the struggles and cravings. I can usually satisfy my BIG hunger cravings with a giant fresh salad loaded with every fresh veggie imaginable. I've also learned to love raw sweet corn on the cob, and will fall back on raw nuts if I'm REALLY tempted to chow into something "bad." Today I was craving a visit to some of our favorite ethnic restaurants - especially Mexican, Chinese, or Italian. *sigh* I hope the battle gets easier and the cravings are less and less with time and discipline. It's hard sometimes, though. I'm SO GLAD I have this forum for support or I'd never make it.

"Educate and inform the whole mass of the people... They are the only sure reliance for the preservation of our liberty."
—Thomas Jefferson

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: July 12, 2009 01:06AM

plainlydressed Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I appreciate this thread, because I'm starting
> week #4 on 100% RAW and feeling the struggles and
> cravings. I can usually satisfy my BIG hunger
> cravings with a giant fresh salad loaded with
> every fresh veggie imaginable. I've also learned
> to love raw sweet corn on the cob, and will fall
> back on raw nuts if I'm REALLY tempted to chow
> into something "bad." Today I was craving a visit
> to some of our favorite ethnic restaurants -
> especially Mexican, Chinese, or Italian. *sigh*
> I hope the battle gets easier and the cravings are
> less and less with time and discipline. It's hard
> sometimes, though. I'm SO GLAD I have this forum
> for support or I'd never make it.

It's okay, you're doing fine. smiling smiley Worst case scenario: one slip up every four weeks isn't going to kill you. The only way you could well and truly fail and suicide all your effort is if the one slip turned into another the next day and then you just decided to give up your raw diet and then tell yourself: "I eat pretty healthy anyway, don't have to be all raw"... and that is when you would really and truly fail. Don't let that happen, just keep going and if even if you have to glutton yourself on the good stuff, do it, you'll still eat hugely less than if you ate cooked. smiling smiley

Posted by: plainlydressed ()
Date: July 12, 2009 01:31AM

Thanks for the encouragement SI. For me, food is such an emotional thing that I can't even afford one little slip or I'll dive straight into it headlong. *LOL* I've learned to GORGE on huge salads when I'm craving alot of savory. Lots of onions and avocado usually do the trick for me. Nuts when I'm craving something crunchy, aside from the standard carrots, celery, and radishes. LOL =)

"Educate and inform the whole mass of the people... They are the only sure reliance for the preservation of our liberty."
—Thomas Jefferson

Posted by: suncloud ()
Date: July 12, 2009 03:33AM

Great attitude EZ!

Date: July 12, 2009 02:38PM

I got up this morning and the first thing that happened is I had a "push" BM. This is so opposite the norm for me that it really caught my attention. I can more fully appreciate now why so many cooked food eaters have colostomy bags.

I now realize that the best strategy concerning slips is to be very observant and take plenty of notes about everything having to do with the "slip" experience. My desire to continue raw has been heightened to the tenth power by this experience.

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: July 12, 2009 02:46PM

i have a little 20 page photobooklet in my kitchen , when im heading towards a slip just flipping through the pics of me when i was 225+ lbs is a pretty good slap upside the head and i forget about eating something obnoxious smiling smiley

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Posted by: eaglefly ()
Date: July 12, 2009 04:01PM

Take a long walk.Wear yourself out.
Drink a huge glass of water.Fill yourself up.
Dont have tempting foods in the house.

Do I do these things all the time?

No.

But most of the time,and it works.

Vinny

Posted by: The Fruit Faery ()
Date: July 12, 2009 04:37PM

For me, once tempted, I'm in TROUBLE.
I had to work out how to not get tempted in the first place.
It does not always work. The steamed veggies are the hardest for me to break.
(The ones i don't care for raw) like broad beans, sweetcorn, sweet potato etc.

I find that if i don't eat enough fat or sweet fruit then I'm in trouble. I start craving sweet things or that 'heavy' comfort food feeling.
I have to get this balance right. I try to eat my sweet fruit in the morning and my fat in the evening.
Pressure will send me off the rails, so i have plenty of strategies to avoid or offset stress.

ffx

Posted by: Wheatgrass Yogi ()
Date: July 12, 2009 05:17PM

A good strategy for Slips might be to only slip
on healthy foods. Then wear tight jeans as a reminder.
People who constantly slip are called Bulimics, aren't they?....WY

Date: July 12, 2009 06:46PM

Great input, thanks everybody.

I may have missed a "slip" learning opportunity. I woke up today with what I can only call a cooked food hangover which consisted of a number of unpleasant physical and mental after effects -- yuck. :( It occurs to me that if I had eaten even more (within good common sense) I probably would have experienced even more of the yuck factors. Careful monitoring of my body signals has left me with no desire to eat any cooked food again so I probably won't get a opportunity to check this theory out anytime soon. Has anyone had the experience of eating plenty of cooked food as an abrupt departure from a clean raw diet ?

WY -- your comment about wearing tight jeans made me laugh and then I thought about a pair of "tent pants" that I still have that I wore when I was at my cooked food fattest. I wonder what effect putting those pants on with a rope to keep them up while eating the cooked food would have had psychologically ?

Posted by: Wheatgrass Yogi ()
Date: July 12, 2009 08:05PM

EZ rider Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> WY -- your comment about wearing tight jeans made
> me laugh
Thanks EZ. I was trying to be amusing while talking
about a most serious subject. I know a thing or two about
slipping. I'm 5'8" and weigh 132 lbs. now, but have been as
heavy as 177 lbs. just 10 years ago.....WY

Posted by: suncloud ()
Date: July 12, 2009 09:08PM

Oh well, I've definitely had that "experience of eating plenty of cooked food as an abrupt departure from a clean raw diet".

I hope you'll take my word for it that eating plenty of cooked food will be a lot worse and take longer to mend than eating less cooked food! No need to take any opportunity to experiment further. smiling smiley

Good for you EZ that after your cooked food slip-up, you're not feeling like eating any cooked food again. Don't worry. You haven't missed a thing!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables