Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Chia Seeds - your experiences ??
Posted by: plainlydressed ()
Date: July 14, 2009 11:48AM

I've been studying and learning alot more about chia seeds and received a sample packet with an order in the mail. Trying them in my smoothie and really like it. They definitely seem like the "SUPER SEED." Do you use them and what are your experiences and thoughts?

"Educate and inform the whole mass of the people... They are the only sure reliance for the preservation of our liberty."
—Thomas Jefferson

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Chia Seeds - your experiences ??
Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: July 14, 2009 01:40PM

IMO: Slimy when soaked or chewed. Bland tasting, but good for mixing with stronger flavors. Sprout iffily. Very filling. Make excellent raw crackers with good "snap." Thicken smoothies well. Good nutritional bang for the buck.

Posted by: kris5194 ()
Date: July 14, 2009 03:58PM

Here is an AWESOME recipe for *"BETTER THAN TAPIOCA"CHIA PUDDING: 4 c. water, 1 c. raw almonds...Blend together water & almonds and strain through a nylon milk bag. ADD: 1/3 to 1/2 c.Real Raw agave* 1 tsp. pure vanilla, 3/4 tsp.raw salt, 1/2 c. white chia seeds*,fresh grated nutmeg to taste. Mix well with a wire whip and let stand 15 min. Whip again and let stand approx. 1 hr. (if you can wait that long!!) until pudding is the texture of tapioca. VERY DELICIOUS!!
*Taken from the Shining Light RAW RECIPES for life by the Schafer Family
*the best raw agave I have ever tasted is from www.ultimatesuperfoods.com
*I get white chia seeds from www.naturalremiteas.com..very economical!

Posted by: pborst ()
Date: July 14, 2009 07:01PM

hmmm.

Nutitional information about them vs. flax seed is contradictory. My package says they are better than flax. USDA database says flax is better than chia. One thing is sure. Flax need crushing to get the oil out, chia doesn't. Chia doesn't sprout well. It's hydrophillic. Add 9 parts water to one part chia and flavor accordingly. You will get a viscous gelatinous beverage that is very filling. I use them for that and as a compliment with hemp seeds. Don't pay extra for white Salba brand of chia seeds. I read on the net that the nutritional quality doesn't vary.

Paul

Date: July 14, 2009 07:11PM

I much prefer The white chia seeds in recipes as the black ones tend to look like frog eggs!! I made the mistake of taking the chia pudding to a raw potluck but I used black seeds instead of white...some people new to raw food where grossed out!! Marion from natural remi teas does not charge much more for the white seeds and I have found that they seem to thicken better in some fruit dishes than the white.

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: July 14, 2009 07:17PM

what is the difference betwwen the white and black seeds? is one more mature or are they 2 different kinds entirely? smiling smiley

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Date: July 14, 2009 07:34PM

from what I have read they are both chia seeds...but one is a slightly different variety...the white one is also marketed as "Salba" at a ridiculous price!

Date: July 14, 2009 07:49PM

chia seeds for the chia pets seem to sprout quite easily i wonder if they are a special kind or perhaps chia just likes to sprout on terracotta and not in a typical sprouting situation smiling smiley the type is Salvia hispanica is that different then the white and black type? smiling smiley

Posted by: eaglefly ()
Date: July 14, 2009 08:17PM

Cha cha cha ....chia.
I remember those chia heads.
Never have eaten them though.
smiling smiley

Posted by: pborst ()
Date: July 14, 2009 08:58PM

you pay more for the white seeds (Salba). Nutrionally, you are just wasting your money.

Date: July 14, 2009 09:06PM

hehe yea eaglefly ! i never ate them either lol .. what a shame letting that good nutrition just grow an die lol smiling smiley

Posted by: plainlydressed ()
Date: July 17, 2009 05:36PM

Loving them so far, on my salads and in my smoothies. Easy little things to eat and not bad taste.

"Educate and inform the whole mass of the people... They are the only sure reliance for the preservation of our liberty."
—Thomas Jefferson

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables