Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Sore joints and cold in general
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: August 02, 2006 07:38AM

I've been 100% raw for the last 8 weeks and about 70% for the 8 months before that and as this is my first winter completely raw I am finding that I am really cold all the time and even in the sun I am wearing a jumper. Also I do quite a lot of meditation and I am noticing quite a difference in the soreness of my knee joints and muscles recently. Has anybody else experienced similar effects and can I expect them to last if I stay completely raw.

regards

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Sore joints and cold in general
Posted by: jackie ()
Date: August 02, 2006 12:26PM

I take it you are "down under" from me <--florida USA.

I have noticed that my average temp daily is not 98.6, more like 97.5 and some days I'll be pretty cold, and my temp will be 96.5. Brrrr! It's not terrible because it's summer here, and hot. But I can imagine how upsetting it would be if it was winter. Ah, winter in like New York, not here in FLA.

My joint issues, which I had previously with SAD, disappeared pretty fast once I went all raw. And I supplement with fresh ginger root daily, which is a must for me. I ran out a few weeks ago, was totally stressed from a project, and my finger joints flared up for the first time in a year. I added back the ginger, and the pain stayed away. The stress is still with me though!

My only other thought is: how much leafy green veggies are you eating daily? I'm talking spinach, chard, kale, beet greens, watercress, dandelion greens, not just lettuce although romaine is pretty good if you can get the real GREEN ones, not the pale versions I've seen in Costco here in Florida.

If you're not getting a LOT of greens, you're missing out on the nutrients that you really need. And, long term, you won't be a happy camper.

You may be familiar with Victoria Boutenko "raw family.com"; she goes into a lot of detail about the need for greens.

Sorry I can't be more helpful, but good luck.

Posted by: sunshine79 ()
Date: August 02, 2006 06:12PM

I read somewhere that alot of people get cold when they first start a raw food diet - something about the body's natural process in ridding toxins or healing the internal organs or something - but that it eventually passes.

Have you tried eating avocados or flax seed oil?

Last winter (I'm in NY) my raw food diet was high in those fats & I was able to walk around outside in a short-sleeved t-shirt - I was shocked, because I've always been one of those girls who's always cold.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: August 03, 2006 07:35AM

Thankyou ladies

Yes I'm down under in Byron Bay. I am eating salad greens daily from my garden and also supplementing with lots of flaxseed oil and hemp seed oil.
So hopefully as you said sunshine 79 it will just be a passing phase for me.
I will use more ginger and check out victoria's raw family website. Thanks for posting.

xx

Posted by: morrisson66 ()
Date: August 03, 2006 02:01PM

try actual flax seeds instead of oil... my wife still maintained problems with just flax oil.. but when she started eating flax on a near daily basis her knees stopped hurting... now she can do really vigorous activities that involve her knees with no pain. She is still cold though... hmmmm

Posted by: mallow ()
Date: August 03, 2006 03:51PM

I enthusiasticaly second Morrisson's suggustion of subbing whole flax for flax oil. That has helped me tremendously.
I started raw last summer, and during some of the fall, all of the winter and some of this spring I was FREEZING! However, since then I have been exposed to chilly temporatures, and have been fine. I also experienced similar symptoms with my joints initially.
I think that it is some sort of detox/adjustment that the body goes through.
Hang in there, and you should be fine.
Oh, one more thing:
Try adding some green juices in addition to the greens, and eat organic sea veggies (I reccomend Main Coast Sea Vegetables), and make sure that you omegas 3,6, and 9 are in a good ratio. That should help you out.
peace,
mallow

Posted by: rawgosia ()
Date: August 03, 2006 10:56PM

I used to suffer from joint pains before raw. They are completely gone now. I heard about similar experiences from others too.

Gosia

RawGosia channel
RawGosia streams

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables