Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Fruit vs. Fat
Posted by: OkunDeji ()
Date: July 19, 2009 05:00PM

OK peeps,
Those who follow my story know recently I have been having energy issues. I still awaiting test results, however the main suggestion is to reduce sweet fruits (yeast overgrowth, worms and proteins in blood, amongst other things) and increase healthy fats.
Yet most raw foodies say no, fats r bad, keep below 10%. So if I do that then I have to eat cooked food to get the calories necessary in a day.
I am trying a new food plan for 30 days, see what happens. Up my intake of healthy fats to between 30 & 40% of daily calories. It is more challenging than I thought, luckily avocados are coming into season here now and I have gotten hold of a Rastaman that makes coconut oil by using the suns rays (I haven't seen the process yet).
More research indicates that for success I have to pay stricter attention to food combining. So all my fruit intake will happen in the mornings, leaving the afternoon for this high fat plan. All food combining sources I see categorize oils and seeds as neutral, can combine with anything, so I don't really understand what the problem is. Raw nuts have protein, so they are the main ones to watch the combinations for.
I am posting here because I trust the suggestions I received from you all in the past and I know there will be a wide range of opinions.
The theory is the higher fat live-it, will help dilute the toxicity of the fat stored in my body as it is released into the system. My goal is health first, anything else is second place.
Thanks in advance for your input.
I been doing this for a couple of weeks, I am sleeping better marginally and I have more energy, mostly, still not what it used to be and I released 3 lbs making 81lbs total since Oct 28th. Progress.

Peace winking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/19/2009 05:08PM by OkunDeji.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fruit vs. Fat
Posted by: Lightform ()
Date: July 19, 2009 05:53PM

Hi Okun

I am also dealing with the fruit sugar issue. I've been a raw foodist for 3 years now, but it hasn't worked well enough to stop my dental deterioration. In search of a real answer I've just turned to the Hippocrates diet to see if that works, and I am currently in the transitioning stage. If you want to hear a commentary on fruit sugar by Dr Brian Clementfrom, a guy who has seen 10's of K's of people get well from EVERYTHING, go here
[www.hippocrateshealthlifestyle.com]

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: July 19, 2009 06:11PM

OkunDeji,

I get why reduction of fruit temporarily may help ameliorate your yeast issues, but still don't understand how increasing fats would help. Coconut oil, maybe, but you'd have to eat tons for therapeutic effect. I do second Lightform's suggestion about trying high greens. Although Brian Clement is famous for not offering statistical data to back up his anti-fruitarian stance, his high greens regimen is known to work well in crisis cases where sugar is a concern. I wish you luck and speedy healing : )

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/19/2009 06:12PM by Tamukha.

Posted by: rawdanceruk ()
Date: July 19, 2009 08:54PM

how about green smoothies??

plenty of other veggies, cucs, tomatoes etc...

high greens ..and non sweet fruit would make sense over high fat..that isnt going to help with healing IMHO

anyways..fully wish you the best with your healing and journey smiling smiley just my two cents lol

x

Posted by: Hellokitty ()
Date: July 19, 2009 09:34PM

I don't understand how you get your calories with out fruit or fats. You would need one or the other.

It also conserns me about this high bread fruit. I don't always eat organic so im not sure how to get away from this type of over bread fruit.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: July 19, 2009 11:27PM

Do you mean artificially selected/BRED fruit?

It's really not that big a deal as some people try to make out. Who says humans always pick the sweetest and most sugary fruits?! Who says human taste is so wrong when it comes to what's good for them?!

Human taste is only wrong when it's put towards cooked/processed foods because we're just not developed for them. I have always liked white grapefruit a lot more than the orange kind, and only recently I found out they're significantly lower in sugar.

When I buy apples and don't like them, it's usually because of their poor quality, NOT their sweetness. We're attracted to things of better quality because they're better for our health... the withery ones are no good. Conclusion: The fruits today are perhaps BETTER than our ancestors had.

To be honest though, it really is an unsettling point and concept... but it's to an EXTREME extent not borne out in my own experiences of losing all possible extra weight and feeling so fine and healthy and my skin clearing up after them at all. I have considered going to Africa to pick wild fruit out, if I do I promise to bring back some for you HelloKitty. smiling smiley

I would be far more worried about GM foods.

Hellokitty Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I don't understand how you get your calories with
> out fruit or fats. You would need one or the
> other.
>
> It also conserns me about this high bread fruit. I
> don't always eat organic so im not sure how to get
> away from this type of over bread fruit.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 07/19/2009 11:29PM by SuperInfinity.

Date: July 20, 2009 05:28AM

Yes
I am with you Hellokitty, it is the calories that concern me too.
Just to clarify, i am not saying that this is the way i will eat for life, I am just tired of being sick and tired and it is the last thing to do, high fat high greens.
Maybe you meant hybrid fruit/ vegetables, rather than high bread...lol. In the tropic we have a fruit called breadfruit, I think it came with Capt. Bligh to feed the enslaved in the Caribbean. Delicious roasted on an open fire, some Rastas say that left to ripen fully it can be eaten raw too.
I think the protocol that was suggested to me is similar to Hippocrates, only thing i do not have the sprouts in the volumes he talks about, I did find his talks interesting though.
If I reduce the fruits and don't increase fats what do you suggest I eat that is raw? When I travelled in Afrika for 20 months 10 years ago now, (wow). I lost so much weight (as a vegetarian), unintentionally, main reason there was little to no fast food, there is little pubic transport, so I did a lot of walking and ate loads of fruit, palm oil and coconut water, ground nuts, tree nuts, frozen yoghurt, there was little variety or quantity of vegetables and I ate loads of eggs. (I am not recommending anything here just recalling) and the staples of cornmeal pap in various forms, some fermented or in porridges.
I ate loads of everything and the weight just fell off me still winking smiley aah wonderful memories. I think I'll join you on that trip SuperInfinity.
Peace

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: July 20, 2009 09:16AM

Hi Okun Deji

Which countries did you visit in Afrika?
Can you say more of what you saw/experienced? I would like to visit sometime.
I've never been there. I am not sure if I ate breadfruit. Is it that big fruit that when you open it up, it is like you are getting pieces of fluffy candy?

Posted by: Hellokitty ()
Date: July 20, 2009 01:06PM

hybrid fruit/ yes I ment this. Sorry Im dyslexic I always make really stupid spelling errors.

some times I just cant spell something so I just put the mistake and hope people figure it out.. LoL

Date: July 20, 2009 02:54PM

What does IMHO stand for?
When I was in Afrika, I visited Ghana, Togo, Benin, Ethiopia, Kenya, Tanzania, Malawi, Mozambique, Swaziland, Zimbabwe and Azania (South Afrika). Absolute time of my life. Seeing the wealth of natural things, yet the poverty of the people's condition confuses me to this day. Their foods were huge, in Zim I saw avocados the size of rugby balls. I have pictures of yams as big as my thighs (and I am a big girl). The soil was richly red which some women ate when they were pregnant.
So much more. I would like to live there one day, as long as I can contribute to the people and not exploit as certain nations have done for centuries!
Food is very cheap there, although getting there is too expensive. When I visited 10 years ago, I was backpacking and living cheap, eating local and sometimes sleeping in the tent I brought with me.
I was 6 months in Ghana alone, traveled all over, south to north to west and back, some of that time I stayed with friends camping on their beach front property lawn, and in all that time I only spent US$200. And I went everywhere I wanted to, ate and drank everything I wanted, paid for rooms and travel etc.
I went back six years ago and the village 40km outside of Accra where I spent a lot of time in it, had been spoiled by progress in my eye. Electricity had been brought to the village, which now made it attractive to a European element, they brought loud music, alcoholics in smokey bars and plenty prostitutes. The quiet village I knew and love was gone.
We have so much to learn from those people, about community living especially. Yet they, like most of us, get bamboozled by the illusion of so called "progress". The wealth they had is gone, replaced by I don't know what, the times of leaving your front door open there was gone, thieving went through the roof.
Anyway enough of my ramblings, I would encourage anybody able to visit, any country, help the wonderfully friendly people, do not exploit them.
Peace

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: July 20, 2009 05:03PM

IMHO = in my humble opinion smiling smiley

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Posted by: luvyuu ()
Date: July 20, 2009 05:46PM

I did a no fruit diet for about 2 1/2 months... lots of greens... and little amounts of fat... and honestly i felt pretty good... I did it for the idea of balancing the blood PH as i was dealing with metabolic acidosis... and since i have been eating fruit again... i have been feeling more acidic...but i have been having trouble getting myself to go back to the no sugar diet... i crave these lovely sugars... and i tend to eat loads of fruit when i eat it... but partly i discovered that i can't have any of the Brasica family or kale due to Gall bladder issues and it left me with not very many choices... I will be interested to hear more about this experiment...

and if anyone is planning a journey to Africa i want in!!!

love laugh and dream

Date: August 02, 2009 12:06AM

This may be a little long, however I think I am overstanding this fruit vs. fat debate better since I read 'Arnold Ehret Mucusless diet system'. Which I picked up for 5 bucks, (at last I didn't have to be independently wealthy to be indepedently healthy.)
What I have put below is not to offend or deter anyone of anything, I just found his information extremely useful. His transition diet is a staged one, also advocates fasting and hints at breatharianism in principle, which I haven't gotten my head around that one yet.
He knows through long term self experimentation, that high fruit and greens, if desired, is the optimal diet, but only once the body has been cleared of mucus/ toxins.
His is the first theory that really matches my symptoms. i.e vitality = power - obstruction ("O"winking smiley (mucus). "Here then, is the cause why so many "fasting" and "fruit-diet", etc, "cures" fail. THE INEXPERIENCED LAYMAN ALWAYS COMES TO THE DEATH POINT. In other words, he removes the mucus too rapidly, too much at once feels "fine" for a while, the dissolving process goes deeper "O" increases - he feels terribly weak, falls back on the wrong diet, and thru this wrong diet stops the elimination of more "O". feels well again, blames the good food for his weakness and sees the wrong food as the food of vital efficiency. He looses faith and tells you in all sincerity, "I have tried it, but it is wrong". He blames the system, entirely ignorant regarding it, when he lone is to blame. Here is the stumbling block even of other diet experts and naturopaths experimenting in dietetics".
Well he's just described me to a T, "-what happens with good foods as well as with bad ones in the human body...even the best foods which have the highest, most vigorous healing properties can become harmful, even dangerous in the beginning, if not carefully used; that they become mixed with the filthy mucus and poisons which they have loosen up in the body, and thereby become poisoned, entering the blood stream in this poisoned condition." Well that's a description of chronic fatigue if I ever heard one.
So in his transition diet it states. "Raw fruits and, if desired greens-leaf vegetables form the ideal food for man. That is the mucusless diet. But the mucusless diet as a healing system uses raw, rough vegetables for their cleansing qualities, baked ones as food, and baked and sweet fruits AS A LESS AGRESSIVE DISSOLVER of poisons and mucus to MODERATE THE ELIMINATION IN SEVERE CASES. This is one of the most important principles of the system, a point the raw-food fanatic ignores entirely. Eating raw potatoes, raw cereals and unfired pies is, in my opinion, absurd (italics) and worse than if they are carefully baked, which means developing the starch into at least partly digestible gluten and grape sugar."
Over the years I have ingested A LOT OF POISONS, in my life time that I been conscious of weight, I have released and gained (gulp) 475 pounds. My poor body has been doing gymnastics trying to keep up with all that crud, and it laid down a lot of fat and by definition, a lot of toxins. MAybe my body is refusing to release any pounds these last few months to budge an inch down on the scale, because I am still holding onto the last and most toxic of the crud. What I realize is that to be safe, I have to go at this slowly and in stages.
My high fruit is just flushing into my blood stream and my wonderful body is protecting me, it just can't handle it. Body knows best.
Since adopting the high greens fat livity I have felt better, still some nights of sleeplessness. However this intestinal broom is sweeping the debris out of my body, such as staph infections, recently found down there.
SO I am in for a long slow haul of high greens and fat (which dilutes toxins), I can't afford to be in a rush about these things, as I get cleaner I can then reintroduce more raw fruits into it. It makes sense to me.
Again everyones livity has to be different and work for them only.
Thanks everyone for letting me share mine,
Peace

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables