Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Commercial Juices
Posted by: petrichor ()
Date: July 21, 2009 05:01PM

What is your opinion on 100% natural, not-from-concentrate 'commercial' juices? I know they are not raw, and I know they are lacking nutritional value and enzymes. But as far as when you are out and about away from home and your juicer, do you think it's better to go without any juice at all?

I crave juice a lot, it's been a big part of my diet and a lot of days I just drink juice until the afternoon, but often times I'll be away on the weekends and it's so easy to grab a bottle/jug of juice. I prefer not to eat many large meals while I travel because I don't want to have to deal with any crohn's issues while I'm away from home. This weekend I bought a jug of juice from Whole Foods (ingredients: grapefruit juice.), as well as a flash-pasturized Odwalla orange juice during a breakfast run to Starbucks with the group I was with.

I guess what I'm wondering is, I know they are lacking on almost all nutrients compared to fresh juice, but would you consider them to cause more harm than good? I'd prefer drinking juice to straight water, for both flavor and calories.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Commercial Juices
Posted by: EZ rider ()
Date: July 21, 2009 05:56PM

would you consider them to cause more harm than good?
IMO eating "foodless" foods is putting your body to extra effort all the while adding nothing of value. For example take the salt that is an ingredient in commercial drinks. Its a dead chemical and causes the body to go to an effort to protect itself and then to safely eliminate it from the body. All of the dead ingredients in the drink are going to have to be delt with by your body. Why put your body through that ?

I'd prefer drinking juice to straight water, for both flavor and calories.
Not me. I'll take the water knowing that my body can use that in a healthy way.

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: July 21, 2009 07:15PM

petrichor,

Are there any juice bars or, like, ethnic restaurants around you which you can pop into to have a fresh juice or smoothie made? I'd opt for water rather than juice, if not. Cooked juice is a waste of money, as well as digestive effort.

Posted by: rawdanceruk ()
Date: July 21, 2009 07:53PM

do not..drink dead juice

as a former crohns sufferer I can understand, juice used to be through me in 20 minutes..pack a cooler with a meal...cutting corners with dead stuff isnt ... going to help your healing.

water.. juice bars..juicer..

Posted by: petrichor ()
Date: July 22, 2009 02:10AM

There is a juice bar about 25 minutes from my home, at a health food store I occasionally do my shopping at. It would probably be easier to do my own juicing, I'm waiting until I get another check so I can buy an omega juicer. I will then mostly be doing green juices, since I struggle to get those in. It's just so easy to start letting yourself slip, and just buy juice. I was so strict about it when I started this but you let yourself drink it once and suddenly it doesn't seem so bad.

I have a small amount of bottled juice left, I probably wont drink the rest because I really want to do this right, and there's not a better time than now. Thanks for all your responses. Much appreciated.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: July 22, 2009 02:38PM

The only concentrated juice I would even consider touching with a pole is blueberry juice... because blueberries are so good even their concentrate has to be pretty good. I think I'm done with even that though.

EZ rider, I think you have it spot on... even juice you blend yourself isn't ideal for me. People talk about fruits and their sugar content (the "cool" thing to do nowadays for people who buy into the myth that paleo man ate animal protein when he wasn't absolutely starving).... and then they put commercial juice into their trolley and drink the whole thing with their cookies like a complete idiot and think of it as a health food. What a joke some people are!!!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/22/2009 02:39PM by SuperInfinity.

Posted by: rawdanceruk ()
Date: July 22, 2009 03:19PM

agreed

I dont get why

just eat fresh. as a person healed from crohns, I know juice was the worst thing when I started my journey. I eat wholefoods

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables