Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Coconut kefir vs coconut water
Posted by: jonl138 ()
Date: July 23, 2009 04:08AM

Can someone please explain what the difference is between Coconut kefir and coconut water? Is the kefir more nutritious? Is it safe to drink the water directly from the coconut?
Thanks,
Jon

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Coconut kefir vs coconut water
Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: July 23, 2009 03:27PM

jon,

Coconut water is not just safe, it's very nutritious, being full of electrolytes and other minerals. It can ferment as it's quite perishable, so it should be drunk fresh. Though I've never tried it, I've heard of coconut kefir, which is a fermented coconut beverage made from raw coconut milk(water + pureƩd flesh) and a probiotic starter. Try doing a search at goneraw.com or one of those other sites,; I know they have ideas for coconut kefir. Good luck!

Posted by: EZ rider ()
Date: July 23, 2009 04:07PM

I frequently blend the young coconut juice (water) and the pulp together and promptly drink the mix as fresh as possible. I considered making the drink into a Kefir but decided against it because of the fresh aspect. To make the kefir it is necessary to add the starter and then let it ferment for anywhere between 6 and 48 hours depending on the amount of fermentation desired. IMO this loses one of the coconuts best features - its freshness and I decided not to do that. My decision may not be the right one for you but I'm comfortable with it as right for me.

Posted by: brian1cs ()
Date: July 24, 2009 06:35AM

Jonl138, you don't need kefir when you eat a low fat raw vegan diet somewhere in the percentages of 80 carbs, 10 protein, 10 fats with your main source of calories coming from fruits.

Posted by: loeve ()
Date: July 24, 2009 12:02PM

jonl138 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Can someone please explain what the difference is
> between Coconut kefir and coconut water? Is the
> kefir more nutritious? Is it safe to drink the
> water directly from the coconut?
> Thanks,
> Jon

I've never made kefir but have read of how fermentation can be used in coconut oil production and alcohol drinks. I gather coconut kefir is made by fermenting coconut meat and/or water typically using a starter. Coconut will ferment on its own as well with varying results.

A perfectly fresh coconut will make a hissing sound when pierced (like a vacuum packed jar). Otherwise coconuts are often partially fermented when cracked. The water can have a touch of it or be downright putrid. I have my limits! Some nuts need to be tossed.
-brad

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables