Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Watermelon and Weight Gain
Posted by: NeonBee ()
Date: July 27, 2009 03:10AM

It is watermelon season where we live and they are addictive and cheap. The sweet dark red, pink, and yellow flesh is a constant temptation, so much so that I am consuming a full melon a day. The varieties are all in season so there is a lot to pick from and a couple of bucks a melon is a steal compared to the store price. The problem is that I am gaining weight! I am wondering if it is water weight or perhaps it is too much simple carbs. I am estimating that there are about 10 calories per ounce so a whole melon is averaging 1400-1600 calories. This is in addition to what I nornally eat per diem and I have been indulging now for about 3 weeks. The season will soon be over so perhaps I am concerned about nothing but the jeans are feeling tight.

Your thoughts - water or fat gain?? I know moderation is key but sometimes you just can not get enough of a good thing! I have never had a problem with weight gain but this is an exception from the normal routine. Any input is appreciated.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/27/2009 03:12AM by NeonBee.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Watermelon and Weight Gain
Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: July 27, 2009 06:12AM

not surprised
melons don't really digest well with other stuff

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: July 27, 2009 12:09PM

NeonBee,

What else are you eating? And when? Don't mean to quiz, it's just, as la_v says, it doesn't play well with others for most people. Eating watermelon first thing in the morning is best, with nothing for a few hours afterward, I've found. If your were eating nothing but melon, it would be difficult for you to put on weight from it.

Posted by: NeonBee ()
Date: July 27, 2009 03:05PM

Thanks for the input, perhaps it is bloating but I do not have that bloating feeling. I eat it first thing in the morning and through out the day usually as a mono. Yes, sometimes I do follow it after eating nuts, avacados, fats, so maybe it is a combination of bloating and water weight. I eat a lot of right before I expire for the evening.

Posted by: EZ rider ()
Date: July 27, 2009 04:12PM

When watermelon season started I replaced my morning juice with watermelon. Notice I replaced something not just added more to the per diem. When my body signals or watermelon season ends I will most like go back to my juice for breakfast routine again.

Posted by: plainlydressed ()
Date: July 27, 2009 07:33PM

I can't eat melons with other foods, even other fruits. Causes discomfort in my tummy. But I can sit and eat one entire watermelon and/or cantaloupe in one sitting and feel perfectly fine (although need to stay close to the bathroom afterwards *LOL*). =)

It's oft-said that melons do not mix well with other foods, even other fruits. Seems to be true in my case as well. I can't see actual weight-gain from just watermelon alone, however, it could be the fluid-retention from mixing it with other foods. Excuse the graphics, but I usually pee it all right out of me shortly after ingesting it...at least within the following 3-6 hrs. I don't even feel full or bloated from it.

"Educate and inform the whole mass of the people... They are the only sure reliance for the preservation of our liberty."
—Thomas Jefferson

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables