Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

muscles loss???
Posted by: jwebs16 ()
Date: July 31, 2009 05:08AM

I've been transitioning to raw for about 3 weeks now. I play roller derby which requires boot camp style training a few times a week. My energy level is unbelievably high!! But I've noticed that I've lost muscle mass and that worries me. I need my muscles. I'm wondering if I am getting enough protien.

So I guess my questions are...

-does anyone here have an intense workout schedule and knows the secret...lol?

-if I feel I'm not getting enough protien and don't eat meat or fish how could I load it into my daily diet?

Thanks in advance for any help here! I wanna stay with this but I'm worried about my performance.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: muscles loss???
Posted by: kleinphi ()
Date: July 31, 2009 05:15AM

Look up raw athletes such as Tim VanOrden or durianrider. When you first go raw, you are expected to lose weight and even feel less than optimal for a few weeks or month as the body gets rid of the old, inferior material made from damaged (cooked) protein. Then you can start building new muscle made from raw foods.

Posted by: EZ rider ()
Date: July 31, 2009 10:40AM

When eating raw the body also eliminates fat. This includes all fat anywhere on the body including the fat found in and around the muscles but not the muscles. So your just getting leaner.

Posted by: fiddler1 ()
Date: July 31, 2009 03:32PM

I am a runner, I weight train and do yoga. I am a physical and health education teacher. I have been raw for 3 years and was shocked at the decrease in my size at the beginning of my journey. I am fairly heavily muscled, people often stop me on the street and ask what "sport" I do. I continue to weight train 4 times per week and have not lost any strength but my muscle volume seems much leaner. My weight has gone back up to my pre raw state, thank goodness as I was getting too thin, but my % body fat has decreased. I guess that means I have gained muscle to account for the weight. I always bring fresh juice or an apple and almond butter to devour right after a workout. That is when your body will direct it right back into your muscles which have been used. (Window of about 30-45 minutes after workout) I am a 49 year old female and most of my high school students, including males, cannot keep up with me on runs, push-ups, sit-ups etc. (Not that I compete with them, I just try to quietly inspire them.....) I sometimes mix a vegan protein powder (some will not agree with this I know) in with my fresh juices to boost the calories. Good luck and keep at it, the results are amazing.

Posted by: irena ()
Date: July 31, 2009 04:40PM

From what I understand, a lot of "muscle" on people with SAD lifestyle is water retention due to the body striving to dilute the toxicity produced especially from excessive protein consumption (common especially in ppl who weight train). So if the above is correct, you have not lost any muscle but water.

Posted by: jwebs16 ()
Date: July 31, 2009 04:53PM

You guys are awesome...thank you so much!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables