Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Question about sweetcorn/corn on the cob....
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: August 05, 2009 07:05PM

I bought some today, it doesn't say it's raw or contained any other ingredients...

It's suspiciously like the "lightly cooked" stuff though... what do you think?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Question about sweetcorn/corn on the cob....
Posted by: Molli ()
Date: August 05, 2009 07:08PM

If you purchased it in the produce section and its still on the cob, I think its very likely that is is raw. I am eating some sweet corn cut off the cob in a salad today. Yum.

Posted by: eaglefly ()
Date: August 05, 2009 11:22PM

I had raw corn on the cob from a local farm stand today and it seemed slightly soft almost like it was steamed.Interesting,as I would think raw corn is always rather tough.But it was indeed raw.

Vinny

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: August 06, 2009 12:08AM

well it can steam in a sense in its own husk smiling smiley if it was picked early when there was still dew and then it sits in the back of a hot truck then a hot farm stand etc smiling smiley

the best you can get is fresh picked of course smiling smiley

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: August 06, 2009 01:03AM

If you found a live worm in your corn, it pretty certain the corn was live smiling smiley

Freshly picked corn can be very tender and sweet. But as is ages after being picked, the sweetness turns to starchiness and the corn becomes less tender.

Posted by: musicbebe ()
Date: August 06, 2009 02:08AM

My neighbors farm backs up to my property and he grows sweet corn. He lets us pick our own for free when it's ready. Fresh (raw) corn on the cob is indeed very similar to steamed in texture and taste. Fresh (raw) corn on the cob is "milkier" than cooked corn. But it is definitely not hard. Corn on the cob that is hard has been left in the field until it is dried like that, and then used for cattle feed. Corn meant for people will be succulent, sweet, and soft. That's why when you cook corn on the cob you only need to boil or steam it for a few minutes (until it's hot), because it's so darn perfect as it is (cooked fooders just like their food warmed up). My son loves his corn raw now.

Posted by: musicbebe ()
Date: August 06, 2009 02:11AM

Another way to tell the difference between cooked and raw corn on the cob, is this: Corn that has been cooked or steamed and then refrigerated will go rank if left sitting out for much time (or even if left in the fridge for much time). Fresh (raw) corn on the cob will last much longer.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables