Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

What's wrong with me? HALP
Posted by: Lara_Hastings ()
Date: August 07, 2009 06:22AM

Well, everything went rather well on this raw thing for three days, until I woke up this night feeling so hungry I thought I'd faint. I didn't make it to the fridge, I had to throw up instead. And my stomach went all loose. Oh, man. I threw up twice that night.
Should I be worried? Is this sorta normal when transitioning?
I also wonder if antibiotics may be the cause of this? My doctor put me on those things for two weeks. I started eating them yesterday, it's a very strong dose. So my ph level in my stomach is off balance, going raw all of a sudden maybe would not be the best thing for it right now?

But this morning everything seems to be okay, sipping on some fruit smoothie slowly.

But I wonder if I should just take a time out, and start again on raw foods after I'm done with the antibiotics?

Waiting for some answers, thanks beforehand smiling smiley

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: What's wrong with me? HALP
Date: August 07, 2009 07:20AM

I took some antibiotics this morning, and noticed that I had forgot to take them yesterday! So what happened this night had nothing to do with antibiotics.

Posted by: socalvdubgirl ()
Date: August 07, 2009 08:18AM

Taking antibiotics can have that sort of effect on you read the lable of the side effects. Even if you skipped a dose it is still in your system. Forget about the insident and continue to eat whatever you are comfortable with.

Date: August 07, 2009 08:39AM

But I didn't start eating them until today sad smiley

Posted by: thenewguy ()
Date: August 07, 2009 11:12AM

Lara_Hastings,

I had some more issues with diarrhea yesterday. I also had a run of extreme hunger in the afternoon (around my old twinkie or chips time) that was hard to put down. Half and avocado finally did the trick I think.

Anyway, I'm holding on tight to the concept that these are either detox symptoms or our bodies adjusting to the new diet. I've been on medication before in the past where I have side-effects and the Dr said just to wait a few days until my body adjusted... maybe this new high fiber/nutrient change is the same.

Just a thought.

- Bill

Posted by: loeve ()
Date: August 07, 2009 11:51AM

Faintness and vomiting can be serious symptoms possibly caused by electrolyte imbalance. A timeout might be best.

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: August 07, 2009 01:08PM

Agree with loeve. If this continues to happen, start drinking lots of fresh coconut water and eat whatever you want that's healthy. It is possible that the antibiotic is just running through your liver now without anything cooked to slow it down, so a break is a good idea.

Posted by: plainlydressed ()
Date: August 07, 2009 01:29PM

Yes, this sounds like a very serious adjustment period. BUT..... If the dr put you on antibiotics, it sounds like there is some type of infection raging in your body and your body will try to attack the infection when you switch to raw foods, so the detox symptoms will be much more severe. Aside from the fact that antibiotics will RIP UP YOUR DIGESTIVE SYSTEM, it sounds like your body is detoxing very very seriously, and I would agree with the suggestions above.

Several suggestions I might add:

1. Stop the raw diet until you finish the antibiotics. It is not good to take a few and stop taking the rest. You need to finish the prescription or it will do MORE damage to your body, but they MUST be eaten on a full stomach. Be sure to keep your diet healthy and free of refined foods, sugars, dairy, and fats, but you MUST have a full stomach with antibiotics. Starches and NATURAL fats are good for this (potatoes, breads, grains, nuts, seeds, avocado, olive oil, etc.). If you take the medication on straight raw diet when your body has not even adjusted to it yet, it will cause SERIOUS problems like you are already experiencing.

2. After completing the medication, start making the change GRADUALLY, but adding more raw to the diet while your digestive system heals from the medication damage. Gradually increase your raw in-take and decrease your cooked foods, but keep them gentle and simple while your body heals - avocados, bananas, apples, cucumbers, etc. Stay away from acidic and harsher type raw foods in the beginning.

3. It sounds like you are switching from a very SAD diet straight to raw, so your body will detox pretty intensely if it is not already adjusted to vegan and/or raw foods. It has to detox out all the toxins from the SAD diet, PLUS whatever infection you are fighting, PLUS the after-effects of the antibotic, so you will definitely face some serious challenges, but if you take it slow and gently, you WILL make it through the tough phase. =) I promise. Definitely follow the suggestions above - fresh coconut water, avocado, LOTS of water, and proceed gently as your body heals.

3. Purchase some Activated Charcoal Powder from your local health food store (or online) and make "slurry water." Carefully mix a heaping tablespoon of the powder into a tall glass of water and let it sit for approx 10 minutes. The powder will settle to the bottom. Sip on the water throughout the day to help settle your tummy and heal the damage. It will absorb toxins as you detox and will also help to stop the diarrhea and vomiting and will heal you from all the damage from stomach acids. You can also drink the charcoal water straight after mixing it without waiting for it to settle. It is tasteless, but chalky and messy, but will be very helpful and beneficial during this healing process.

Good luck and keep us posted. You WILL make it through this!! =)

"Educate and inform the whole mass of the people... They are the only sure reliance for the preservation of our liberty."
—Thomas Jefferson

Posted by: Molli ()
Date: August 07, 2009 02:51PM

This is my 6th day raw and I haven't had those symptoms. I was feeling flushed for 2 days -- very brief moments -- but that went away. I woke up with a sore throat the 3rd day and that went away. I felt really really tired on the 2nd and 3rd day, but that also went away. I'll probably have some more detox symptoms, but that is it so far.

Date: August 07, 2009 05:43PM

Thank you very much for your replies. I will take it slow, rest and eat normally. But I will include more raw now that I have sprouts and other goodies in my fridge smiling smiley

I think it must be that there is an infection going on like plainlydressed pointed out which makes the detoxing so severe. I've been bitten by an insect which caused borealis.

I hope I will continue with the raw foods after the antibiotics, this did scare me quite a bit though and gave kind a bad start. I will remember to start more carefully with the transition. I thought I would have had an easy transition because I've been vegetarian for 2 years, and also had periods of veganism. I guess you never know.

Charcoal water seems to be a good idea, if things get shitty. But I think my stomach has calmed down quite a bit now. I ate some soy yogurt, and then a little bit of full grain macaronis with greens. It seems to have done the trick, but I'm still very exhausted, it must be the medicine.

Thanks again, I will report back on how things are going after these two weeks.

Posted by: tropical ()
Date: August 07, 2009 07:02PM

Antibiotics will also kill all bacteria, so you need to take some probiotics so the bad bacteria don't take over. The bacteria game in the colon is played like a game of musical chairs - if there are good bacteria present then is no place for the bad bacteria. Also, I've heard that the best time to take probiotics is in the morning.

Date: August 08, 2009 07:41AM

Yes, I'm taking probiotics also. Didn't know that mornings was the best time though. Thanks.

Posted by: plainlydressed ()
Date: August 09, 2009 08:10PM

It's also best to take them WITH food, especially sweet foods like fruits, etc. because the probiotics need to feed off of something (usually sweet) to work properly.

"Educate and inform the whole mass of the people... They are the only sure reliance for the preservation of our liberty."
—Thomas Jefferson

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables