Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

New to sprouting
Posted by: Molli ()
Date: August 07, 2009 02:56PM

This is my 6th day raw, and I decided to try to sprout garbonzo beans last nite. I soaked the beans, put them in a mason jar with cheesecloth and a rubber band across the open top and set the jar at an angle. This morning I rinsed the beans, put the cheesecloth back on to cover the opening, set the jar at an angle and began preparing my green juice. I heard a sizzling noise coming out of the jar for several seconds! Must mean it is working? I hope so!

Do your sprouts sizzle?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: New to sprouting
Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: August 07, 2009 09:10PM

This could be some enzymatic action, but on the other hand, they might be fermenting. How hot is it where you put them? Be sure to rinse them often, and keep them in a cool dark place.

Date: August 07, 2009 09:13PM

Its not hot at all -- I'd guess about 74 degrees. I didn't know to keep them in the dark though. They only sizzled right after I rinsed for several seconds and then stopped. They have already started sprouting now -- its been less then 24 hours.

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: August 07, 2009 09:24PM

Yeah, enzyme action--it's Aliiiiiive! Garbanzos taste best when only about 1 day sprouted, btw. But up to three is OK. Be sure to taste them each day to see what you prefer.

Date: August 07, 2009 09:34PM

I'll taste a couple later tonite. I'm so excited that it is working!!!! Now I can get some more jars and start sprouting more stuff!

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: August 07, 2009 10:31PM

the sizzling sounds like trapped water escaping to me, though enzymatic action seems like a fun thing to blame it on!

Posted by: Krefcenz ()
Date: August 07, 2009 10:55PM

Not familiar with the jar method. I've benefited from drying my sprouts. Excess moisture can cause spoilage. Glad it's working.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables