Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Do you go to the dentist just for checkups?
Posted by: jono ()
Date: August 05, 2006 04:28AM

I haven't been to the dentist in about 5 years.

I had a lot of cavities as a kid, painful ones. But since going raw (and generally eating much healthier) about 3 years ago, I havent felt any cavities whatsoever. Also, I havent even used any toothpaste for about 2 years - i'm just flossing and brushing with water. (I also havent caught a cold in atleast 3 years)

So my mom is now mad at me for not going to the dentist, saying I shouldn't blame her when my teeth start falling out.

Ya, basically I just wanted to ask do you go to the dentist just for checkups? Or are you waiting until there's a problem?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Do you go to the dentist just for checkups?
Posted by: khale ()
Date: August 05, 2006 08:22PM

I do go to the dentist for checkups and regular cleanings.

Why would you not?

I mean I understand that you might not want mercury amalgams in your fillings, or to be placed on antibiotics, or to submit to unnecessary x-rays, but you can discuss these things with your dentist and work these things out. My dentist knows I'm not crazy about unnecessary x-rays so we only do this if we feel its absolutely necessary. Most of the time a good ole fashioned oral examination will reveal if there are problems.

I personally think its a good idea to have plaque and tartar build-up removed at least twice a year, that's why I have the cleanings. A good, pure, whole food diet does wonders for keeping the immune system healthy, which goes a long way toward keeping the mouth and teeth in good shape. Still, if there is a lot of plaque build up on the teeth, bacteria and etc. can get trapped so why not get it removed?

~K

Posted by: purenkind ()
Date: August 06, 2006 12:27AM

i also have my teeth cleaned regularly twice a year. i've never had a cavity in my life and i believe part of the reason is because of my regular cleanings. i have the oral hygenist do the cleaning and if she notices anything suspicious she lets me know. otherwise i don't do xrays or even have an exam with the dentist. just regular cleanings with the hygenist.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: August 06, 2006 02:02AM

I don't go to the dentist much because well, I just don't feel like it

I make sure to brush throughly though, especially after sweet stuff. smiling smiley

I'm going to start growing wheatgrass again which is great for teeth.

Posted by: jono ()
Date: August 06, 2006 02:33AM

Thanks for the responses.

>>Why would you not?<<

khale, I could think of many reasons... money, inconvenience, awkwardness, having my gums prodded at with sharp pointy utensils, etc.

You make a valid point of having your plaque removed. But the last time I went to the dentist, they had me gargle this dye which was to stain the areas where plaque existed. It turned out my brushing was so good they only found two tiny areas of plaque in the back of my mouth. The girl scraped it off in less than 10 seconds (it was probably just an area I had missed while brushing that morning).

>>i've never had a cavity in my life...<<

purenkind, you're so lucky you never had any cavities. i got regular cleanings as a kid but still ended up with a mouth full of cavities. i blame it on all the soda and candy i ate.

>>I'm going to start growing wheatgrass again which is great for teeth.<<

NNNNNarz, I can personally attest to wheatgrass doing wonders for your teeth. Even before I went raw, I started drinking wheatgrass juice (the powdered kind but better than nothing). I noticed within a few days that some sensitive teeth (possibly cavities) were no longer sensitive any more. I'm sure fresh wheatgrass juice is even better.

Posted by: learningtofly ()
Date: August 06, 2006 03:19PM

purenkind Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> i've never had a cavity in my life and i
> believe part of the reason is because of my
> regular cleanings.

Hey purenkind,

This is amazing (no cavities). Do you think there are any other reasons for you to be blessed like this (things you do or eat)?

Cheers,

LTF

Posted by: purenkind ()
Date: August 06, 2006 09:15PM

i just think i have very hard teeth! when i got my wisdom teeth out i stayed awake the whole time, just had novicane and nitrous, and the dentist couldnt' get my teeth out! he had to break them into pieces first, then remove them! he kept saying "where did you grow up? i've never seen such hard teeth in my life!" i grew up on long island, ny, so, maybe there was flouride in the water or something. i really don't know.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: September 17, 2006 06:30AM

I have a Fantastic 90 min AUDIO CD TITLED RAW AND DENTAL HEALTH, by Dr. Jameth Sheridan from the 2004 Raw foods Festival in portland, OR. Amazing CD that explains everything you ever wanted to know about Vegan Raw Diet and Dental health and the Most Natural and Effective methods of taking great care of your teeth and gums ! write me at DJ7510@AOL.COM

Dave

Posted by: Funky Rob ()
Date: September 17, 2006 10:32PM

I've not been to the dentist for about 5 years. Why not? Because I no longer trust the people who put mercury fillings in my mouth!

Rob

--
Rob Hull - Funky Raw
My blog: [www.rawrob.com]

Posted by: jadedshade ()
Date: September 19, 2006 03:12PM

I havent been to the dentist in about 5 years either, I am going to get them cleaned soon though. As far as any work goes I am not going to have any done because I am not having any problems with them.
The backs of my front bottom teeth are stained so I want to get that resolved and have a general clean up to make sure any nasty plaque comes off.

Posted by: monochromatism ()
Date: September 21, 2006 03:16AM

jono,

As I've posted elsewhere on this board, I used to be a dental assistant, and as a person knowledgeable about most things dental, I'm going to recommend that you start going again. As for your latest experience at the dentist, even though there was only a bit of surface plaque to be removed (here's the important part, so everyone should take note)...

EVEN WITH TWICE DAILY BRUSHING AND FLOSSING, YOU CANNOT TOTALLY PREVENT PLAQUE-BUILDUP BELOW THE GUM-LINE.

I know no one likes to hear this, but it's true. There is plaque below the gum-line no matter how good you are with your brushing and flossing, which is why even dentists must get their teeth cleaned every 6 months. Even though you may not be feeling the effects now, it will most likely catch up with you at some point further down the line.

Ok, so I hope everyone listens to me and goes for a cleaning twice a year like you're supposed to. smiling smiley

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables