Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Dirty Dozen fruits and veggies with pesticides smiling smiley
Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: August 14, 2009 02:16AM

[cosmos.bcst.yahoo.com]

i liked dr. gil, telling us pesticide contamination is overblown tongue sticking out smiley he looks so healthy anyone would believe him ! (not lol)

In a recent study, two-thirds of domestic and imported produce contained no pesticide residue, according to the Food and Drug Administration. Yet the study did not mention the other third of produce which did contain traces of pesticides.

A look at the fruits and vegetables that most often contain pesticide residue.According to findings from 87,000 government tests, the Environmental Working Group dubbed 12 vegetables the "dirty dozen." They are the fruits and vegetables most likely to contain pesticide.

"Some fruits and vegetables can have nine different pesticides in a single serving," said Jane Houlihan, the senior vice president for research at the Environmental Working Group.

Related
Pretzel or Fries? Summer Foods That FoolThe Top 15 Cleanest Fruits and VeggiesChoosing What to Eat When Peaches top the "dirty dozen" list because they require a lot of pesticides to grow, according to the Environmental Working Group.

The rest of the dirty dozen include:

Apples

Bell peppers

Celery

Cherries

Nectarines

Strawberries

Kale

Lettuce

Imported grapes

Carrots

Pears

Here is a list of the ''Clean 15'' fruits and vegetables that are least likely to contain pesticide residue:

(ABC News Photo Illustration) Onion

Avocado

Sweet Corn

Pineapple

Mango

Asparagus

Sweet Peas

Kiwi

Cabbage

Eggplant

Papaya

Watermelon

Broccoli

Tomato

Sweet Potato

Source: Environmental Working Group

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/14/2009 02:24AM by Jgunn.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Dirty Dozen fruits and veggies with pesticides smiling smiley
Posted by: boysenberry ()
Date: August 14, 2009 03:16AM

So on the grapes for instance. I have read that the seeds are really where the nutrition is. When I went to Costco a few weeks ago they had the red seeded grapes from Mexico - so I got those and blended them. Otherwise - they are actually the only seeded grapes I have seen since I started trying to eat more raw.

So which to go for - the revestrol or whatever it is in the non-organic seeded, or the organic non-seeded?

Date: August 14, 2009 03:18AM

i prefer seeded varities of fruits ... hybrid stuff kinda wigs me out smiling smiley they are always my 2nd choice smiling smiley

Posted by: boysenberry ()
Date: August 14, 2009 03:30AM

It is really hard to find anything seeded anymore - well I notice the grapes and watermelon. When they came out with the non-seeded watermelon, I though, Wow, how great. Now that I have read about hybridized fruits, i am like where is that seeded stuff.

Date: August 14, 2009 03:53AM

yea i know what you mean!

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: August 14, 2009 01:04PM

Thanks for posting this. I am so sick of hearing people in suits stating as though it's an objective fact that something or other has been studied and deemed safe. The truth is that most pesticide studies are conducted by the manufacturer, or under its auspices, and are not absolute scientific data. If pesticides are so safe, why does Erin Brokovich still have a job? And no, Doctor Gil does not look a specimen of robust health. Darwinism At Work, my dear Jodi ; )

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables