Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Good online sources for nuts?
Posted by: Jose ()
Date: August 05, 2006 03:44PM

Hey,

just wanted to know what good online sources for fresh nuts there are over there in the US, organic or conventional.

Cheers,
J

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Good online sources for nuts?
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: August 05, 2006 05:09PM

These two are both good. In the shell (or out), both organic (and both within a few dozen miles of me!)

Sun Organic Farms

Jaffe Brothers

Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: August 05, 2006 09:04PM

-You could also try doing a search for the nuts you want on e-bay. Many home growers and small farms will actually sell very fresh nuts - in season of course.

-David Mason

Date: August 06, 2006 04:02PM

Hey, thanks guys, I appreciate it smiling smiley

Cheers,
J

Posted by: jono ()
Date: August 07, 2006 05:22AM

for truly raw almonds, you can try wholesale-almonds.com

its a family run farm.

i just had an email exchange (2 days ago) with them.

they assured me that their almonds are never heated for any reason. their almonds are allowed to sun dry on the tree, and then on the ground floor for a week.

they told me almond harvest is in september and they never sell almonds from the previous year into the new crop year. so i plan on checking with them in september before ordering the freshest nuts they have.

i was also informed by them that retail chains such as costco and trader joes actually pasturize their nuts for legal reasons (who'd a thought).

finding fresh raw nuts (without being ripped off) is such a difficult task for the raw foodist... so lately i've been brainstorming about an online directory of farmers offering truly raw nuts, along with harvest dates, organic status, contact info, etc... its still just an idea right now, and i start school again in a few weeks so i dont know when i'll get to it (if somebody else has the initiative, i think it'd be a worthwhile endeavor). hopefully someday there'll be a certification for raw nuts, just as we're now seeing for raw dairy.

Date: August 07, 2006 03:10PM

cheers jono, didn't know that.

What about good places to order hemp seeds from that would deliver to New Mexico?

Cheers,
J

Posted by: morrisson66 ()
Date: August 07, 2006 03:13PM

I order every year from an almond farm in California called www.andersonalmonds.com. I also order pecans from www.mopecans.com. Both places cost far less than the market prices. I actually get the conventional pecans because they are not sprayed in any way or fertilized by the farm next door uses fertilizer, so they are not certified. Best pecans I've ever had too.

Posted by: jono ()
Date: August 08, 2006 01:49AM

Jose, raw unhulled hempseeds are not legal yet in the US.

so if you have a friend in Canada willing to send you some you could try that.

otherwise, you could try hempnut.com for hulled hempseeds. im not sure how these are sourced and processed though so you might want to ask some questions before making a purchase.

my worry about the hulled hempseeds, is that w/o the shell, the omega 3 fatty acids in the hempseeds will quickly go rancid.

there is legislation in the works for california and some other states to allow growing of hemp... hopefully this will pave the way for making raw, unadulterated hempseeds available to all of us.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables