Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Taste or Gulp? what do you do? smiling smiley
Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: August 18, 2009 09:20PM

Back when i ate really SAD, i would seriously woof my food down and get on with the next task at hand.

I find now i savor the flavor of what im eating .. trying to find that sweet taste in the strawberry, really feeling the tang of a good orange, mulling over the umami type sensation i get from a perfectly ripe avocado

so how do you do? do you just chuck it all down the hatch or really get into the flavors and sensations of what you are eating smiling smiley

this morning i was sitting on my deck the sun was up for about an hour and coming round the trees and i was feeling the first rays warming my skin making the little hairs stand up then fall back smooth on my arm , closed eyes while savoring the taste of perfectly just picked yellow plum

moments like that just make it all feel so good smiling smiley

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Taste or Gulp? what do you do? smiling smiley
Posted by: Utopian Life ()
Date: August 18, 2009 09:27PM

I do both. hehe Depending on mood and how much time I have to eat. But I prefer to taste. smiling smiley

Posted by: suncloud ()
Date: August 18, 2009 09:29PM

Great post Jodi!!!!!

I think raw food tastes better than cooked, so it's more fun to take more time tasting it!

Posted by: Molli ()
Date: August 18, 2009 09:31PM

I try to really enjoy my green juice drink each morning. If I eat when I'm at about a 5 on the hungry scale instead of a 10, I try to enjoy it all. If I'm at a 10 I might wolf down the first few bites.

I am still getting flushed in my face off and on for a few seconds after I eat a lot of greens. I'm not sure this is going to go away! At really wierd. Doesn't seem to matter what variety of greens I eat (either juice or raw).

Posted by: pborst ()
Date: August 18, 2009 09:33PM

depends what I'm eating. Smoothies go down quick, salads go down slowly and mindfully. It's become something of a tradition. Quick breakfast, slow lunch. smiling smiley

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: August 18, 2009 09:58PM

Jodi,

I am so mindful of my food now, because I have to chew-chew-chew! Not long ago, I ate a breakfast of 5 small Red Delicious apples, cored and cut into eighths. I was so astonished to find that the first apple had distinctly spicy notes, and the second apple had distinctly floral notes, and the third was rather earthy and nutty, and so on--I'd never experienced that before. Well, maybe early in childhood. Lucky, lucky children : )

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: August 19, 2009 12:00AM

yea i agree i do both too but as Tam says im getting more mindfull over my food smiling smiley

something ive noticed is im not enjoying green smoothies as much as ive used too, its sucha a mosh of flavors i think it confuses my mind smiling smiley
i think i need to either simplfying them more or make mono smoothies lol smiling smiley

Tam intersting about the apples .. where on the tongue are the various taste sensation receptors? just curious ..im wondering if once one receptor area is satiated perhaps another comes alive .. or maybe im way off smiling smiley

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Posted by: juicerkatz ()
Date: August 19, 2009 12:03AM

I am always "on the go", so this is a problem for me, always has been. I really enjoy savoring the flavor of the raw foods, and I even "chew my juice", as Jay Kordich puts it. When I remember to "slow down", things taste much better to me!

Posted by: Trive ()
Date: August 19, 2009 05:28AM

Taste, definitely. I find that food tastes soooo much better raw. I savor each bite when I eat fruit, especially. It seems like such a treat to get to eat it.
Now that everything I eat is raw, even foods that I used to eat raw (when I also ate cooked foods) are MUCH more flavorful than they used to be! It's like a party in my mouth.
Since many cooked foods have hidden fats, maybe fats coat my tongue, blocking my taste buds from 100% availability? Well, that's a theory, anyway. Fortunately, cooked foods don't hold taste appeal for me anymore, but when I used to eat them, it was easy to gulp and not really enjoy what I was eating.

Posted by: Sundancer ()
Date: August 19, 2009 11:20AM

I savor at home and in restaurants, and wolf down my food at work.

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: August 19, 2009 11:51AM

Jodi,

.. where on the tongue are the various taste sensation receptors? just curious ..im wondering if once one receptor area is satiated perhaps another comes alive .. or maybe im way off smiling smiley

You may be right about the taste receptor sites; I don't recall where I registered this or that flavor. But I also think that it was that the apples were purchased bulk, in a bag, and were probably from different trees, and perhaps even from different orchards. It would make sense that they would taste different from one another if that was the case. I like to think that things other than wine can have "terroir." : )

Posted by: eaglefly ()
Date: August 19, 2009 12:43PM

Gulp.
Just a bad habit i have where I think I am tasting my food.

Vinny

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables