Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

phlem in throat after eating
Posted by: mark58 ()
Date: August 06, 2006 03:08PM

Hi.

I have been eating a raw diet for almost 4 months and in the last month I've noticed that I often get mucous/phlem in my throat after eating a meal or snack. Has anyone else experienced this? Does anyone know the cause?

thanks for your insight,

Mark

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: phlem in throat after eating
Posted by: learningtofly ()
Date: August 06, 2006 03:14PM

This is mucus protection from something less-than-ideal that you are eating. This exact same thing happens to me, and I've observed this for years. I don't recall it ever happening before raw though. I think the body's primal intelligence becomes more active when we are raw and it starts to quickly identify harmful things and creates mucus to eliminate them.

Some contributors to this phenomenon for me:

Salt
Starchy raw foods
Capsaicin (hot peppers)

Cheers,

LTF

Date: August 07, 2006 04:29AM

I don't use salt or hot peppers... is it possible that this mucous comes from eating too much sweet fruit?

LTF, thanks for your post.

Best,
Mark

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/07/2006 04:30AM by mark58.

Posted by: chilove ()
Date: August 07, 2006 03:15PM

No, fruit is ideal and cleansing, not mucus forming at all. What else are you eating?

All the best,

Audrey
www.rawhealing.com

Date: August 07, 2006 04:02PM

mark58 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I don't use salt or hot peppers... is it possible
> that this mucous comes from eating too much sweet
> fruit?

It's possible that the cleansing from the fruit is carrying out older toxins in a "medium" of mucous.

I have experienced this.

Cheers,

LTF

Posted by: Little Bug ()
Date: August 07, 2006 05:24PM

"It's possible that the cleansing from the fruit is carrying out older toxins in a "medium" of mucous"

Yes, that would be my guess. Mucous is a cleansing reaction or cleansing meduim as you say. The appearance of mucous means your body is strong enough to throw off old toxins. Nice work LTF.

Date: August 08, 2006 04:25AM

Hi Audry.

I am on the Ann Wigmore Diet...
so lots of energy soups with apple or watermelon, buckwheat & sunflower greens, lettuce, avocado, and sprouts (usually mung bean, alfalfa, and/or lentils), sometimes I add other veggies (cucumber, beets and beet greens, swiss chard…).

Breakfast is usually a mix of fruit, occasionally with buckwheat sprouts, and almond, sunflower or sesame milk.

For lunch and dinner I have the energy soup and a salad (containing some of the above ingredients plus some fennel, red or yellow pepper, or carrots), some seaweed and some fermented veggies.

Other foods: Soaked and sprouted seeds and nuts (occasionally a grain, but I am moving toward eliminating grains from my diet… feels right), Rejuvelac, and wheatgrass juice.

I think that covers everything.

Thank you all for your insights,
Mark

Date: August 08, 2006 04:17PM

Hi Mark,

After a quick scan of your diet, I would highlight the following suspects as contributing to the phlegm:

Sprouted legumes: mung beans, alfalfa, lentils. Definitely lentils as they are starchy.
High oxalic acid greens (beet greens, swiss chard)
Starchy seed (buckwheat)
Sprouted grain

Do you use any form of salt at all, such as tamari/nama shoyu, unrinsed seaweed? These could also contribute to mucus production.

Cheers,

LTF

Date: August 09, 2006 05:25AM

Thanks LTF.

Should I look at this mucous as a sign to eliminate its cause from my diet...?
or do you think it is a temporary phase of detoxing (as suggested with the fruit) and of no real concern?

I had a salad last night (unblended and without fruit) in order to test some foods. The mucous appeared. >Sprouted legumes: mung beans, alfalfa, lentils. Definitely lentils as they are starchy< (all in the salad) at least one or all are most likely the cause. I am also suspicious of the baby buckwheat greens.

Thanks for your insight,
Mark

Date: August 10, 2006 04:33AM

nut milks, & fermented vegies will do it...
for me also: spirulina & yeast flakes,
also - cashews & brazil nuts, which i don't believe really r raw...

LOVE & BLESSINGS, Basia

Date: August 10, 2006 04:45AM

thanks,
Mark

Date: August 11, 2006 04:27AM

LTF (or anyone)

Should I look at this mucous as an allergic reaction and a sign to eliminate its cause from my diet...?
or do you think it is a temporary phase of detoxing (as suggested with the fruit) and of no real concern?

thanks for your reply,
Mark

Date: August 11, 2006 04:39AM

that's a million dollar question, that many raw fooders ask themselve, as far as i know, ....i've never managed to find answer for it, in 3.5 years of being totally raw....maybe it takes longer
LOVE & BLESSINGS, Basia

Posted by: ThomasLantern ()
Date: August 11, 2006 06:46AM

I would imagine any food, including fruit, could be mucous forming if you overeat it, because if any food is overeaten it spoils.

Posted by: Ani ()
Date: August 11, 2006 11:52AM

Robert Gray (wrote a book about gut flora and mucoid-forming foods) says, buckwheat sprouts are starchy unless they are sprouted at least for six days. They then turn into leafy greens.
I experienced congested sinuses when eating buckwheat sprouts (3 days sprouted), and they also are somehow addicitve to me - probably because of their high glutamic acid, which might react as a neurotransmitter in the brain. (Glutami acid-rich foods are not so good, if one has leaky gut: the proteins are able to have excitotoxic actions by going into the bloodstream to the brain...) So I stopped using them.

Date: August 13, 2006 03:37PM

mark58 Wrote:
> Should I look at this mucous as a sign to
> eliminate its cause from my diet...?
> or do you think it is a temporary phase of
> detoxing (as suggested with the fruit) and of no
> real concern?

If mucous is raised immediately, IMO it os proof that your body is defending itself against elements within that food. IMO this is a sign to eliminate that food from your diet. Fruit may be the only exception to this, as with fruit it is most likely the fruit acids/sugars that are cleansing and bringing out old toxins, and the body creates mucuos to carry them out.

> I had a salad last night (unblended and without
> fruit) in order to test some foods. The mucous
> appeared. >Sprouted legumes: mung beans, alfalfa,
> lentils. Definitely lentils as they are starchy<
> (all in the salad) at least one or all are most
> likely the cause. I am also suspicious of the baby
> buckwheat greens.

I would suspect the leafy sprouts last (alfalfa and buckwheat greens) since they are starchless. Lentils would be the #1 suspect for me, then the mung beans. By eliminating single ingredients one by one, you may be able to pinpoint if it is ONLY the lentils, or if some of the others are contributing as well.

Cheers,

LTF

Date: August 13, 2006 03:44PM

mark58 Wrote:
> LTF (or anyone)
>
> Should I look at this mucous as an allergic
> reaction and a sign to eliminate its cause from my
> diet...?
> or do you think it is a temporary phase of
> detoxing (as suggested with the fruit) and of no
> real concern?

Mucous production is always a sign that your body is defending itself. (Personally I wouldn't call this an allergic reaction, but an indication of a vibrant and intelligent immune system that is recognizing the subtler toxins in foods.)

The only exception I can think of is when you eat a very clean, cleansing food like juicy fruit and it raises mucuos.

Cheers,

LTF

Date: August 13, 2006 03:50PM

Hi mark58,

I just wanted to clarify that when I originally wrote that buckwheat sprouts are starchy, I was referring to the seed sprouted or soaked and eaten whole. These are very starchy. This is different from buckwheat greens (grown from that seed) which are leafy and starchless.

Cheers,

LTF

P.S. Technically speaking there may be a bit of starch in the stem of buckwheat greens (not 100% sure), but if there is IMO this is insignificant.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/13/2006 03:53PM by learningtofly.

Posted by: Arvydas ()
Date: August 13, 2006 04:55PM

I've noticed that this will happen to me after eating cashews and other so-called "raw" nuts, as well as raw garbanzo hummus. I think it's a reaction to the lectins in the sprouted legumes and the oxidized/rancid fats in the cashews (which, though they may be called raw, are twice roasted at up to 350F during shelling).

Posted by: Ally ()
Date: August 14, 2006 02:10AM

I get phlegm in my throat immediately every time I eat greens - ANY greens - even a small amount and even though they are raw organic. If I answer the phone right after eating greens, people ask me if I have a cold. Often I wake up with a sore throat after eating greens. In addition, my eyes swell and stay swollen for a couple of days, and I feel tired. I've been like this for many years. I eat greens anyway, and I'm able to eat them more often now that I'm running. Fasting occasionally seems to help a little, but still I can't eat greens everyday. I have to give it a break (like today) and eat just fruit and nuts/seeds to get my energy back and my eyes unswollen.

The other day, my friend fixed me just about a quarter cup of fresh wheat grass juice, and I immediately felt woozy and a strong sensation of having to go to sleep - almost a prickly feeling all over my face and in my brain. Any ideas?

Fruits and nuts/seeds never do that to me (I don't eat cashews or nut butters).

Mark58, do you get phlegm after eating just fruit?

-Ally

Date: August 14, 2006 04:04PM

Ally Wrote:
> I get phlegm in my throat immediately every time I
> eat greens - ANY greens - even a small amount and
> even though they are raw organic. If I answer the
> phone right after eating greens, people ask me if
> I have a cold. Often I wake up with a sore throat
> after eating greens. In addition, my eyes swell
> and stay swollen for a couple of days, and I feel
> tired. I've been like this for many years. I eat
> greens anyway, and I'm able to eat them more often
> now that I'm running. Fasting occasionally seems
> to help a little, but still I can't eat greens
> everyday. I have to give it a break (like today)
> and eat just fruit and nuts/seeds to get my energy
> back and my eyes unswollen.
>
> The other day, my friend fixed me just about a
> quarter cup of fresh wheat grass juice, and I
> immediately felt woozy and a strong sensation of
> having to go to sleep - almost a prickly feeling
> all over my face and in my brain. Any ideas?
>
> Fruits and nuts/seeds never do that to me (I don't
> eat cashews or nut butters).
>
> Mark58, do you get phlegm after eating just
> fruit?
>
> -Ally

Now THAT sounds like an allergy.. Does lettuce do this too?

Posted by: Ally ()
Date: August 14, 2006 09:50PM

Dear learningtofly.

Yes sad smiley

-Ally

Date: August 17, 2006 09:37AM

>Mark58, do you get phlegm after eating just fruit?

-Ally<

Hi Ally.
It seems that I always get "some" phlegm (in different degrees) after eating just about anything. I started the Master Cleanse yesterday and I still have phlegm. It is less but still there. I hope to be rid of it by the end of the cleanse and then start introducing foods one at a time to find the culprit/s.

thanks.
Peace,
Mark

Posted by: shep252 ()
Date: August 17, 2006 09:03PM

I get flem after eating any kind of nuts.

I wish you well on your cleanse, mark!

Posted by: shep252 ()
Date: August 18, 2006 02:25AM

I thought about this. Well, haveyou ever had chronic acid reflux or heartburn in your life? What I know from myself is that I did, and I always had phlegm in my throat. I still get it now and then because my esophagus is trying to heal. Just a thought.

Another thing I thought of is.."Why do pepole think that mucus is such a bad thing? The body naturally produces the stuff to keep everything moist and working. If it is in excess, then maybe it could be allergies from pollen and molds. This is allergy season, you know.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/18/2006 02:38AM by shep252.

Date: August 21, 2006 07:22AM

Hi Shep.

I've never experienced acid reflux (that I know of) or serious heartburn of late.

I am on day 6 of the cleanse and the phlegm is mostly gone now.

I just read in David Klein's book that mucous/phlegm is the bodies response to toxins (can't find the passage right now).

peace,
Mark

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables