Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

gaining weight
Posted by: eecho ()
Date: August 20, 2009 05:16PM

My girlfriend is trying to gain weight, and I am encouraging her to do it through raw foods / high raw. Does anyone have experiance with this? She is 100 pounds, and maybe... 5'4"? Anyway, she is visibly really skinny and has told by doctors that her weight is "dangerous", and besides that she is not comfortable weight what she does and would like to weigh more.

She used to eat complete garbage because she had a low food budget. Even at one point she tried doing a "fast food diet" to try to gain weight which didn't help. Now, she eats muuuuch better and has become vegetarian + fish and eggs, whatever that is called. She feels better of course but hasn't gained a significant amount of weight. I have a feeling it has something to do with her digestive tract and an overactive metabolism. She is going to start taking digestive enzymes before meals (raw and cooked) to see if that helps.

I've looked and found *some* stuff on weight gain, but most raw food info is about losing weight. Any links, videos, and especially books would be extremely helpful. Thanks!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/20/2009 05:17PM by eecho.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: gaining weight
Posted by: Lizard ()
Date: August 20, 2009 05:23PM

I've read on this forum somewhere that exercising makes you gain weight. This way she could add on some muscle mass. Does she currently exercise? Also, I've read that maybe eating less would help. Just a couple of thoughtssmiling smiley

Posted by: eecho ()
Date: August 20, 2009 05:30PM

She runs maybe twice per week. I'm going to try to help her do some other strength training as well. Also, I agree about eating less but its not a 100% shot, and right now she is convinced she needs to try and eat more. I think either one is possible

Posted by: Hellokitty ()
Date: August 20, 2009 05:56PM

I would agree with Lizard excersise and eat bananas- I love love love them. i have to be careful of my weight but even im not that skinny. it is true that it could be her digestive track. Celiacs desease can cause this in some people. a sign of celiacs is loss of energy and going to the loo 5 times a day, and adaminal pain. well that was a sign in my sister in law, but she didn't have the weight issue, some people do.

Posted by: mysbenson ()
Date: August 20, 2009 06:22PM

Your girlfriend is on the right track. I used avocados and nut butters on Manna Bread when I was losing too much. After my metabolism evened out I didn't need so many avocados or nut butter. It could her metab will even out as she heals from the raw foods diet. She will heal and her health will improve. Best of Luck.

Posted by: musicbebe ()
Date: August 21, 2009 01:20AM

Read "Quantum Eating" by Tonya Zavasta. It may be a little advanced for someone who hasn't started eating raw yet, but she has chapters devoted to gaining and losing weight on raw. It has to do with resetting your metabolism through not eating passed a certain time, to allow your body to experience a sort of "daily fast." The book is very well researched. You may want to read it.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables