Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

sick of bananas
Posted by: alicemago ()
Date: August 21, 2009 11:00PM

This is terrible..

Bananas have been a mainstay on my raw diet..( three years)..
I do quite a bit of variety, for me, but prefer eating really simple menus.
I blend quite a bit..
for my 'fruit blends', i often use bananas.
i am really underweight and try to eat the more dense fruits ..like bananas and avocados.

I only eat a half to one avocado max per day..cannot digest any more..

Lately, i have been positively 'gagging' when i drink my banana-based smoothie.
fresh, raw , simple banana is out of the question because even the thought just nauseates me.

any ideas as to how to get some kind of dense fruit into my diet in place of Banana..?
I DO USE papaya when available..

one reason i liked bananas is that i live in Northern climate and bananas are nearly always available..from the supermarket.
Papayas not so.

any suggestions as to a dense /easily available fruit and how to overcome the banana-nausea..?
ps..oh yes, i use LOTS of fresh mint in my smoothies as mint is supposed to discourage nausea..
does not help any more.

alice

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: sick of bananas
Posted by: roadrunner ()
Date: August 22, 2009 12:40AM

LOL ya made it longer than me!
I ate bananas DAILY for 2 years and to the tune of 15 to 25 or so and NOW? LOL I rarely eat them.

Posted by: Wheatgrass Yogi ()
Date: August 22, 2009 12:58AM

roadrunner Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I ate bananas DAILY for 2 years and to the tune of
> 15 to 25 or so and NOW? LOL I rarely eat them.
I know a long-time 100% Raw Vegan who did exactly
the same thing. When I knew her, 15 to 25 a day was about right.
Now she swears she doesn't eat any....along with Durian. It's amazing
how people can change. I probably eat 15 to 25 in a years time....WY

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: August 22, 2009 01:02AM

maybe your body is signalling you to eat more simple or lighter

maybe you dont need bananas anymore

just eat everything else you eat and try them again down the road .. maybe that will work for you smiling smiley

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: August 22, 2009 02:04AM

Also maybe the quality of the bananas you're getting has declined. That would be depressing...

Date: August 22, 2009 02:31PM

Thank you all for your kind responses.

Yes, i guess my body is signaling me to leave off for a while.

being rather slight of stature, i feel that i need something with the protein content of bananas in a dense form..

It is not easy being raw and getting enough dense food, i find. Dense food without high fat content , that is..

I do have trouble digesting high fat foods..They usually make me feel really tired after consmption , and i find that my body expells the waste products through large zits on my face..he he. This only happens when i eat high fat foods.

oh well.
thank you again,
alice

Posted by: eaglefly ()
Date: August 22, 2009 02:58PM

Its my gut feeling that if you are gagging trying to get something down,your body doesnt want it anymore,or at least for a while,for whatever reason.Might be purely psychological.

Vinny

Posted by: The Fruit Faery ()
Date: August 22, 2009 03:36PM

I cant eat bananas at the moment. I tried one this morning after leaving them alone for weeks.
It tasted like uncooked pastry to me!
Both the taste and the texture was just wrong. It was disgusting! I had to spit it out.
It feels quite strange not to be eating bananas.
I don't even think i could manage banana in a smoothie.
Like others have said, you just have to go with what your body is signaling to you at the moment.
ffx

Posted by: OkunDeji ()
Date: August 22, 2009 09:41PM

Hi Alicemago, for other reasons I had to give up bananas. It's got me really miserable having to cut down on the fruit side of my live-it for a while. Maybe some soaked dates might add calories for you. From what others have shared to me, fruit and fat are incompatible, maybe as you eat less fruit you may tolerate more fat. Best wishes.

Posted by: cherimoya ()
Date: August 22, 2009 09:56PM

Talking about bananas I bought a 40 pound box this morning also got some cherries,blueberries and strawberries.

Without bananas as a base for energy if you have can not get other dense fruit like mamay sapotes or heavy kieth carrie Florida mangoes season is almost over for mangoes but mamays are plentiful.

It can be difficult in the winter I live in northern Thailand the bananas take a long time to ripe so I go 2 months without them maybe longer if I get jackfruit.

Where I live there is about 20 acres of trees and a lot of pumpkins or squash calabaza other types of gourds I eat them all the time and enjoy them grate em and put lime and tomatoes for a great meal also in the winter there is a lot of papaya so I eat tons of them until mangoes come in season .

Most people eating raw food dont eat pumpkins and gourds but I enjoy them they are my survival foods in the winter plus papayas and other fruits.

Cherimoya,

Love Peace and Happiness,

Posted by: flipperjan ()
Date: August 23, 2009 03:47AM

cherimoya - you are lucky to have those lovely fruits. I do eat a little squash sometimes but find it hard work. I will try putting some lime on - juice i presume. Any other ideas for squashes - it's one thing we do have a lot of in England.

I have never tasted a nice papaya - maybe they don't travel well. I wouls love to know what they are supposed to taste like smiling smiley

Sorry Alice - hi -jacked thread there. It's a bit of a worry if you need the calories. Maybe mango's are fairly dense and filling. But as others have said you can't make yourself eat something and it is interesting how out tastes change as we go along

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/23/2009 03:50AM by flipperjan.

Posted by: iamwhatiam ()
Date: August 23, 2009 04:27AM

i'm sure you already know or do it, but i love to puree bananas and then freeze them - like ice cream. mmmm...

or slicin em real thin lathered in lemonjuice and dehydrated.

Posted by: TroySantos ()
Date: August 23, 2009 10:07AM

Yeah, dates, frozen bananas, and pumpkins and other squashes - those are good ideas. Also, how do you feel about plantains? If they're available in winter where you live. Ripe plantains, like with pretty blackened peels, and really soft textured flesh ... boy I like 'em a lot.

Another idea is to buy stuff online.

Like you used to do, bananas are my smoothie base. Nothing works nearly as well for me as bananas. With them, I can put pretty much any fruit or vegetable. I just need to make sure I've got a good balance.

Most important thing, in my view, is to not be so concerned about food. That's clinging, and it is painful. And leads to more pain.

Eat, then split.

This way is not compatible with Zen practice. This way IS Zen practice. - Dr. Doug Graham

Nothing whatsoever should be attached to. - Buddha

Date: August 23, 2009 04:45PM

i love reading all the responses..Thank you..

great ideas and wonderful, unique and very fine people here.

many thanks again, Alice.

as far as i am concerned, no one hijacked the thread.. i enjoy learning all i can.
And i am sure all who read the threads benefit from the information therein.
That is why these forums are so valuable.!
(made up of many people from different areas with different experience and knowledge.)

Thank you ALL..
alice

alice

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables