Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Does anyone.......
Posted by: ROIRRAW ()
Date: August 29, 2009 06:49PM

not juice? I saw this video earlier,
[www.youtube.com]
and it got me feeling a little guilty about my diet as I've been raw since xmas and don't juice. I used to juice when eating a standard diet but just prefer eating raw food although I do green smoothies most days. My problem seems to be that I don't have enough space for a juice. I eat fruit for breakfast or a fruit/green smoothie at 5am ish and then have a big salad at 1pm , and some fruit during the day.And then eat fruit,salad or ceral in the evening.The cereal is organic with nuts , grains, raisens etc.. with soya milk. As a sidenote is cereal considered good or bad and any ideas where I can squeeze in a juice? Thanks!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Does anyone.......
Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: August 29, 2009 08:09PM

ROIRRAW,

I don't eat cereal, as I have given up grains. I don't juice, as I have lent the juicer to a friend. I do lots of green smoothies, and eat whole fruit, so I think I'm OK. In the fall, when I get the juicer back, I may squeeze in a serving of raw root vegetable juice a few times a week, but it isn't something I fret about. If you feel well and all with the regimen you have, and cannot accommodate juicing, don't feel you have to right now : )

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: August 29, 2009 08:29PM

Excuse me but why the hell did you get the idea that juicing is a GOOD thing?

Juicing is non-optimal. It's how people get calories fast, there is no chewing and fibre etc. involved in juicing.

Date: August 30, 2009 02:25AM

Thanks Tamukha, I will take your advice yet again! I am having a cool green smoothie as we speak. I get this cool organic kale and it works so much better than spinach. Such a nice flavour and my skin glows after it.Any reasons as to why you gave up grains?

SuperInfinity, it seemed like common sense, getting a very high intake of nutrients etc in a way that was easier for our system to deal with.. plus it seemed that most people that overcame health worries etc..did so because of juicing. I did think it was wasteful to get rid of some much pulp/fibre that I would otherwise eat but on the upside if I was juicing I would probably go through far more material and therefore get more nutrients into my body. That dude on the youtube clip looks pretty amazing for an eighty something year old. He must be doing something right.

Posted by: plainlydressed ()
Date: August 30, 2009 02:43AM

Once again, SI, you shine forth with such warmth and comfort. =) There are many of us who actually DO believe in the health benefits of juicing and enjoy it immensely. However, there is no LAW in the Raw World that says we should or should not juice. Quite frankly, it's a personal decision based on personal education and research and personal HEALTH results. Quite frankly, if someone wants to JUICE for their health, they are DARN WELL WELCOME TO and it's not my, nor YOUR place to judge or criticize their decision OR their sincere, honest questions on the quest for learning!!!

SI, I might suggest that you, personally, might want to reevaluate your own diet and lifestyle, because it certainly doesn't help your knee-jerk emotional and harsh reactions to posters with opinions that might not mirror your own OR who are simply asking sincere, honest, INNOCENT questions - NOT seeking to be slammed for simply LEARNING !! Calm down, take a chill pill, and please THINK about what and HOW you speak to people before you rashly hit the "post message" button. PLEASE !!

SuperInfinity Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Excuse me but why the hell did you get the idea
> that juicing is a GOOD thing?
>
> Juicing is non-optimal. It's how people get
> calories fast, there is no chewing and fibre etc.
> involved in juicing.

"Educate and inform the whole mass of the people... They are the only sure reliance for the preservation of our liberty."
—Thomas Jefferson

Date: August 30, 2009 02:48AM

I'm not sure what Tammukha's reason will be for giving up grains, but the most common reason why Raw folks avoid grains is because they have to be cooked or toasted to be safe for consumption. You can still use them in the raw diet if they are sprouted, I think, but I'm not the expert. Hopefully others will jump in with more answers for you.

I, personally, believe in juicing for a cleanse and/or serious healing benefits, but not necessarily FOREVER. I also believe in alternating juicing with other raw meals like smoothies, plain produce, or raw recipes. Once again, it's a personal, individual decision based on your OWN needs, health conditions, preferences, and desired goals. And please don't ever let ANYONE make you feel stupid or less intelligent for making choices that seem to work the best for YOUR personal needs. =)

"Educate and inform the whole mass of the people... They are the only sure reliance for the preservation of our liberty."
—Thomas Jefferson

Posted by: loeve ()
Date: August 30, 2009 01:37PM

I don't juice, at least not the way Jay Kordich describes it. I use my juicer more like a grinder and use both the juice and pulp. It's more like blending and saves my teeth and jaws from a lot of tough chewing and prolonged contact with certain acidic fruits and veggies (like the local wild grapes and rhubarb).

I understand some like to separate the juice from the pulp for various reasons. I doubt fiber slows absorption very much, maybe 15% if the Glycemic Index of apple and orange juices compared to that of whole apples and oranges is any indication. Some fiber will ferment in some people causing great discomfort. Got to acknowledge that.

Date: August 30, 2009 01:49PM

Once again, a spectacular display of Teh Angry. Sheesh SI, tone it down a little eh?

We juice here and there. I don't make it a priority unless we really feel like having some or there is an abundance of produce that needs to be used it (it's a great way to utilize broccoli stalks, celery leaves, etc). It's terrific if you need a vit/mineral boost (better than a vit tablet!) and great for healing illness too. Oh, and fasting.
We do a lot of smoothies, especially for breakfast. Just gotta remember to "chew" them too winking smiley.

Posted by: flipperjan ()
Date: August 30, 2009 02:59PM

ROIRRAW - I don't regularly juice at all but the time when i really like a juice is after I have been for a really long run and I am tired and thirsty. I'm talking about anything over an hour and a half. Then i juice as soon as i get home and before I get in the shower - typically it will be cucumber, celery and apples. I think it's about replacing the salts - celery - and being really refreshing - apples and cucumber. when I'm not running I don't even think about juicing - it's funny the patterns we fall into isn't it. What works for one will not work for another smiling smiley

As to when to squeeze a juice in - well you could try not having something that you usually eat and replace it with a juice - see how you feel etc etc. Have fun experimenting

Posted by: RawLibrarian ()
Date: August 30, 2009 03:18PM

Plainly Dressed wrote:

"I'm not sure what Tammukha's reason will be for giving up grains, but the most common reason why Raw folks avoid grains is because they have to be cooked or toasted to be safe for consumption. You can still use them in the raw diet if they are sprouted, I think, but I'm not the expert. Hopefully others will jump in with more answers for you."

Aside from the cooking aspect, many grains (wheat is a biggie) leave acidic ash in the body after digestion. It's a good idea to have the majority of the foods you eat be alkaline. That's a reason that lots of people, not just raw foodists, cut out grains entirely, or cut way back on them.

Posted by: juicin' john ()
Date: August 30, 2009 04:22PM

juicing is possibly one the most powerful things we can do for our health.

not only is it the perfect organic "food supplement" to compliment our regular diet.....it is also very useful as a cleansing routine when used in juice fasting. we all need to clean house internally every so often and juice fasting is a very pleasant and effective way of accomplishing an internal cleanse.

i have been juicing and juice fasting for almost 30 years and i can tell you that it has kept me youthful and healthy. there is nothing like!

what you see in that video about jay kordich is for real. you cannot go wrong by implementing a juicing routine into your daily life.

thank you plainlydressed for your input here.

juicin' john

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/30/2009 04:32PM by juicin' john.

Posted by: EZ rider ()
Date: August 30, 2009 06:47PM

I think juicing veggies and eating whole fruit is a great way to achieve good bowel health and at the same time overcome problems like depleted soil.

Date: August 30, 2009 08:52PM

Yes, it goes without question that the enumerable health benefits of juicing are repeatedly proven through medical science, whether it be used strictly for serious therapeutic cleansing/healing or combined with a whole raw food diet. It's purposes and benefits are astronomical and boundless.

—Thomas Jefferson

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: August 30, 2009 11:23PM

ROIRRAW,

Whooo, you've gotten quite the tutorial here! This thread has actually made me thirsty for a tall glass of pulp-free juice; hope I get my Champion back soon : ) As for grains: I am rather a mimimalist, and my diet most days consists of primarily fresh fruits and tender green vegetables. Grains, even sprouted ones, strike me as extraneous to that regimen. I'm not a birdie, but I am a primate, you know? I'd no sooner start mixing up all kinds of lacuma/mesquite/yacon syrup and goji powder power drinks. It works for some people, but it's too fussy for me--I don't feel the need to.

Date: August 31, 2009 06:36PM

Thanks everyone! Much to contemplate!

Posted by: pborst ()
Date: August 31, 2009 07:22PM

I juice and blend getting the best of both worlds. Juicing definitely breaks down the cell walls better than blending does in terms of getting nutrients. I use the pulp though.

Paul

Posted by: loeve ()
Date: September 01, 2009 03:01AM

Speaking of juicers, Jay Kordich has a new juicer apparently set for international distribution being dual voltage and dual frequency (110/220V 50/60hz 800W), and featuring a solid stainless steel body. I wish him the best.

[juicedaddy.com]

Date: September 01, 2009 03:40AM

ah, he looks like such a lovely grampa type dude. nice energy and clarity for a fella in his 80's. i wonder if that juicer is any good or not. i have the new jack lalaine and i'm not thrilled with it.

Posted by: Trive ()
Date: September 01, 2009 06:26AM

I don't juice and feel great. I prefer having the juice and pulp of fruit and veges in their natural proportions (i.e., as it comes off the tree or out of the ground). I watched the video and whenever someone sells something I wonder about how influenced the person is by the profit motive. That's not to say that he doesn't deserve to earn money from providing a product that he believes in and he may be a very fine person. As to grains, I rarely have them now, so can't offer advice there. You'll experiment and find what's right for you. Different people have different needs. Best wishes finding you way.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables