Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

considering the switch
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: August 31, 2009 07:39AM

Hi everyone,

I am new to the site and the raw vegan lifestyle. I haven't made the switch yet but am seriously considering it. I do however have some conserns and questions. I had weight loss surgery about 15 months ago. I have lost almost all of the weight I wanted to. I am not considering raw veganism to loose more weight but to be healthy. At this point I usually consume about 800-1000 calories a day and the doctor recommends consuming at least 60 grams of protein per day. From what I have read thus far it seems like most people get 25-40 grams of protein on a 2000 calorie intake. I am wondering if anyone has suggestions for getting in all of my protein while only being able to eat 4-6 oz at meals with small snacks in between. Can I use protein supplements like the powders? I would also love to hear from someone who has had weight loss surgery and later became a raw foodist.

Thanks,
Christina

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: considering the switch
Posted by: flipperjan ()
Date: August 31, 2009 09:32AM

Hi Christina - welcome to this site.

You will get lots of very useful information here about protein intake and how much one requires etc. Some of the others are probably more erudite and able to answer your questions more fully than I am able to do.

One thing that springs to my mind is that you might have to eat very frequently to get enough calories when you can only eat small quantities at any one time.

Best of luck with your investigations

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: August 31, 2009 12:10PM

Christina,

First, congratulations on your new-found health : )

Second, I agree with what flipperjan writes, but it might help us to advise you if we knew why your doctor recommends that much protein. Is there a risk from the procedure of losing muscle tissue through metabolic changes? Does the doctor subscribe to the "protein is sating" hypothesis, and is attempting to regulate your appetite this way?

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: August 31, 2009 04:12PM

Yes, that is exactly why my diet requires this much protein, the risk of loosing muscle mass. It is a common requirement for post-surgery diet. Some physicians require as much as 100 g of protein per day.

Thanks for the input!

Christina

Posted by: pborst ()
Date: August 31, 2009 05:02PM

naturelover Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hi everyone,
>
> I am new to the site and the raw vegan lifestyle.
> I haven't made the switch yet but am seriously
> considering it. I do however have some conserns
> and questions. I had weight loss surgery about 15
> months ago. I have lost almost all of the weight
> I wanted to. I am not considering raw veganism to
> loose more weight but to be healthy. At this
> point I usually consume about 800-1000 calories a
> day and the doctor recommends consuming at least
> 60 grams of protein per day. From what I have
> read thus far it seems like most people get 25-40
> grams of protein on a 2000 calorie intake. I am
> wondering if anyone has suggestions for getting in
> all of my protein while only being able to eat 4-6
> oz at meals with small snacks in between. Can I
> use protein supplements like the powders? I would
> also love to hear from someone who has had weight
> loss surgery and later became a raw foodist.
>
> Thanks,
> Christina

Christina,

Welcome. There are many raw vegan protein adjuncts you can use to get to 60 grams. Rice protein and hemp protein would be my first recommendations. [www.vitaminshoppe.com][www.manitobaharvest.com].

Both of these have been recommended by Brendan Brazier, a vegan triathalon performer. I think for day to day, whole raw vegan foods are fine. If you have a special protein need, both rice and hemp protein supplements which are produced through using enzymes at low temperature are just fine. Best. And welcome.

Paul

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables