Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Can anyone comment this please ?
Posted by: Mry_PL ()
Date: September 02, 2009 06:50AM

Hi everybody,
let me introduce myself as I am new here.
I have been in AU for 4 years now and currently live in Melbourne. My name is Peter. Me and my wife want to overcome some health probs so that`s why we both looking for answers and challenges. So any help appreciated.
I started reading and introducing a raw diet into our lifestyle about a month or two ago. I didn`t eliminate all bad stuff from my diet yet but slowly doing it. I have purchased myself a Vitamix blender and I love all smoothies that come out of it.
My question is about poisoning vegies.
I don`t know if it`s true or not but it looks like some of vegies look like they not good for you in their raw state:
Example: Brassica`s family (so cabbages, broccolies,cauliflowers also spinach kale). I love them all and what is more I grow them in my vegie patch so they fresh and delicious. I put like 8 leafes of spinach and kale into my smoothies etc. But after reading this link below I found myself very confused ....
Maybe someone experienced could comment on that as I don`t want to promote some more health problems by eating these vegies raw then... Do you introduce a little bit of steaming to certain type of vegies?
I would appreciate answers on that but please don`t say that feel if it`s right for you and if yes keep doing it.
Is there any scientific prove that they OK to be consumed like that ?
I hope you understand my point as I will be consuming them nearly every day.
You can google it or try this one out :
[forums.chef2chef.net] or what I found on google :

Google was this info:

"Spinach has only 13 calories per serving and packs a punch for Vitamin A as well as folic Acid (especially important for pregnant women) and is rich in carotenoids and antioxidants. It is also rich in chlorophyll. Debate exists whether it is more beneficial to cook spinach or eat it raw (juice it). Spinach contains oxalic acid. While this cleans our intestinal tract, oxalic acid binds with calcium and diminishes the absorption of calcium in our bodies. Cooking turns the oxalic acid into crystals that could damage kidneys and limit the absorption of iron but cooking also breaks down cell walls and allow us to absorb more nutrients.

All your comments really appreciated.
Thanks, Peter

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Can anyone comment this please ?
Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: September 02, 2009 12:29PM

Peter,

Welcome! Here is a discussion from a couple of weeks ago citing this same info; read the responses to the OP:

[www.rawfoodsupport.com]

Options: ReplyQuote

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables