Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Getting enough calories
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: August 08, 2006 02:54AM

I'm wondering if anyone knows of some easy ways to get plenty of calories without spending oodles on food. I'm still trying to lose some weight from having hypothyroidism so 1200-1300 calories a day is fine for me. However, my husband, who is already on the thin side, works a very strenuous job and according to sites like fitday he needs about 3000 calories a day. Right now he's still eating some cooked foods to get these extra calories but eventually he wants to work his way up to being 100% raw as well. We have a very fixed budget and I'm finding it hard to afford all of the raw foods it seems like we're going to need.

Thanks for the help!!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Getting enough calories
Posted by: jono ()
Date: August 08, 2006 03:43AM

nuts and buckwheat sprouts come to mind.

bananas are relatively cheap.

watermelons from the asian market have been very cheap lately.

raw eggs are cheap too but not very tasty.

eating healthy can be expensive, i know, it sucks.

Date: August 08, 2006 04:49AM

Thanks! We're already stocking up on bananas, the cheapest food we've found so far. I probably should also have mentioned that we're vegan for ethical reasons so things like raw milk and eggs would be out of the question. I'm thinking we may just have to do 75-80% until we're in a better place financially.

Posted by: rosie ()
Date: August 08, 2006 08:02AM

here is a website i've found for compiling nutritional data on individual foods as well as receipts.

www.nutritiondata.com

Posted by: summer ()
Date: August 09, 2006 03:47AM

sunflower seeds are pretty cheap and packed with nutrition, it makes a great creamy pate or spread if you have a food processor, or sprout them a day and spike your salad with them...
if you live in the southern parts, coconuts might be a good food to eat, not the Thai ones, I am thinking florida ones if you can get them...

in my opinion raw food does not have to be expensive, and has been one of my challenges also, to discover how to eat raw Less expensively than cooked...this way of eating can't just be for the wealthy, or dependent on imported/transported foods that cost so much...bio regional foods from farms usually is a way better option...
the much touted gogi berries from China, for instance, with 18 amino acids, well, sunflower seeds have 18 amino acids as well, can be locally grown, and way cheaper...especially by the sackful...

Date: August 09, 2006 08:18AM

Thanks everyone!! We finally found a grocery store that has cheap fruit, (mangos 3/$1, watermelon $.49/lb, bananas $.44/lb) which is really cool. It's not organic but it'll work. We do keep a sack of raw sunflower seeds since they're pretty cheap. We also had our first young coconut and it was so good. And they're the same price here as the mature ones so we're going to keep buying those. I thought the farmer's market would be a good place for cheap produce but they're just as expensive as Wild oats. We're shopping around a lot though and are determined to make this work smiling smiley.

Posted by: Ally ()
Date: August 11, 2006 05:37AM

You might consider getting your sunflower seeds and other seeds and nuts organic. The organic sunflower seeds are still pretty cheap.

It's possible that toxic chemicals from conventional growing methods are concentrated in seeds and nuts. This is just a theory I have from my own experience. The last couple of times I ate NONorganic seeds and nuts (several years ago), I became VERY ILL, with major pain in my stomach. The nonorganic walnuts that made me sick came from a roadside stand. Several months later, I bought some nonorganic sunflower seeds from the health food store, and the same thing happened. Nonorganic fruits and vegetables don't have that effect on me, but since the experience with the seeds and nuts, I buy organic everything whenever I can. I NEVER buy seeds and nuts anymore that aren't organic.

Good luck, Ally

Date: August 12, 2006 06:40AM

Thank you! All of the seeds/nuts we've bought so far have been organic. Wild Oats is the only local place that has them raw and they only offer organic ones. The main items we've been buying that aren't organic are tomatoes, bananas & mangos and a few random fruits and veggies when we see them on sale. I buy as much organic food as I possibly can afford. And I never buy non-organic lettuce, grapes or apples. Now I'll add seeds/nuts to that list as well smiling smiley.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables