Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

longevity
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: September 12, 2009 04:10AM

Does anyone know of any vegan who lived past 100?

I could not find anything on google, and 100 year old isn't *that* exceptional nowadays. I've been reading bios of some of the people who lived past 115 and they all ate meat.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: longevity
Date: September 12, 2009 04:19AM

1. The percentage of vegans is tiny nowadays, maybe 3%? Back 70+ years ago the world was a very different place. The vast majority of people had no idea about nutrition's effects, nor would they dare ever claim to know better than a doctor. Many people weren't literate at all. So you'd be talking <0.1% or less of actual RAW vegans... it just wasn't something ordinary people would do... (hell, you can still say that today).

2. Vitamin B12, calcium and to a lesser extent vitamin d and amino acids were poorly understood years ago. So the raw vegans either gave up their diet or were deficient in those things. Instead of looking at why we need so much of these things in the first place (calcium caused by overgrowth of our bones) or how they're being taken away by agriculture (vitamin B12 in fruits), some people resort to animal protein. With supplements or very well chosen foods we don't need to do that.

Posted by: debbietook ()
Date: September 12, 2009 06:34AM

No, I don't know of any vegans living past 100, but, as Superinfinity mentioned, there are few vegans anyway...I'm sure there will have been some that have lived that old, but have gone unreported.

Some say that Norman W Walker, the juicing advocate, lived to 109. But he didn't. He died at 99 (which of course is still pretty good!) and references to goats' dairy in his books suggests he was vegetarian rather than vegan.

However, you might find this article of interest:

[debbietookrawforlife.blogspot.com]

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: September 12, 2009 09:21AM

actually there are many vegans in the world undocumentated ..especially in the areas of asia

when i was in nepal i stayed in many near 100 % vegan or 100% vegan villages. these people dont blog or record their lifestyles etc ..so there is no way you would even know what they are doing

dont assume something just because you dont see it in print lol smiling smiley

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Posted by: eaglefly ()
Date: September 12, 2009 01:57PM

There was a 115 year old woman who just died and she existed on bacon and ice cream the article said.
I think she was surely the exception.
Perhaps she would have lived to 150 on raw foods?

Vinny

Date: September 12, 2009 02:46PM

eaglefly Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> There was a 115 year old woman who just died and
> she existed on bacon and ice cream the article
> said.
> I think she was surely the exception.
> Perhaps she would have lived to 150 on raw foods?
>
> Vinny

That's bullcrap. eaglefly you should know better than posting such misleading lies, I know for a fact it's wrong.

Posted by: flipperjan ()
Date: September 12, 2009 03:08PM

SuperInfinity wrote

'That's bullcrap. eaglefly you should know better than posting such misleading lies, I know for a fact it's wrong'

You have such a kind and polite way of expressing yourself SuperInfinity.

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: September 12, 2009 03:22PM

i read that article too eaglefly smiling smiley she also never smoked or drank .. who knows about the rest of her life .. perhaps she led a very stress free joyous life .. nobody really knows smiling smiley

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: September 12, 2009 03:56PM

Jodi and eaglefly,

I, too, have heard about her, if she's the cheery Frenchwoman I'm thinking of. I think she was a fine example of what salutary effects having a darned good attitude can have. No matter how healthy the diet, if your soul focuses on the grim and dim, your physiological health will suffer.

Date: September 13, 2009 01:30AM

but you know, you hardly ever hear of Anyone living that long so... there you go.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/13/2009 01:31AM by coco.

Posted by: The Fruit Faery ()
Date: September 13, 2009 01:30AM

Tamukha Wrote:
> Jodi and eaglefly,
>
> I, too, have heard about her, if she's the cheery
> Frenchwoman I'm thinking of. I think she was a
> fine example of what salutary effects having a
> darned good attitude can have.

No matter how
>healthy the diet, if your soul focuses on the grim
> and dim, your physiological health will suffer.

I agree!
Health will inevitably be compromised on a diet of the grim and dim!
(aware of this article too)
ffx

Posted by: juicerkatz ()
Date: September 13, 2009 03:14AM

Tamukha Wrote:
> Jodi and eaglefly,
>
> I, too, have heard about her, if she's the cheery
> Frenchwoman I'm thinking of. I think she was a
> fine example of what salutary effects having a
> darned good attitude can have. No matter how
> healthy the diet, if your soul focuses on the grim
> and dim, your physiological health will suffer.

Well, guess I'm doomed then... Largely because of my childhood experiences which still haunt me, much of my outlook tends to gravitate towards grim & dim, or at the very least cynical...

Plus, now I'm bummed out 'cause I have read years ago that Dr. Normal Walker lived to age 119, but now it looks like that isn't the case, according to a prev. post.

Posted by: eaglefly ()
Date: September 13, 2009 05:20AM

All I know is what I read on my AOL news that came up about her.
She ate bacon and ice cream.

Vinny

Posted by: rawpreston ()
Date: September 13, 2009 06:08AM

Article:
[news.yahoo.com]

Posted by: debbietook ()
Date: September 13, 2009 06:31AM

Hi juicerkatz

Yes, but at least you're doing fine on the things that are easier to control :-)
(eg diet)

I do subscribe to the theory that people who have a marvellously positive outlook all the time, are unfailingly cheerful, always see the bright side of life, get loads of fresh air and sunshine, lots of exercise, but eat... a normal diet, may well be healthier than many on a 'good' diet, as they'll have more energy available to eliminate those toxins that do come their way.

For the rest of us however... thank goodness for the raw food diet!

Date: September 13, 2009 12:08PM

Wait a sec, you're bummed because Normal only lived to be healthy 99? Sheesh, we could all just be so lucky...
Take telomeres into consideration when you think about longevity. We are designed to die, it's coded into our DNA. We're not meant to live forever, or even for that long really. Close to a hundred years is a spectacularly long time long IMHO.

Date: September 13, 2009 12:52PM

coco Wrote:
> Wait a sec, you're bummed because Normal only
> lived to be healthy 99? Sheesh, we could all just
> be so lucky...
> Take telomeres into consideration when you think
> about longevity. We are designed to die, it's
> coded into our DNA. We're not meant to live
> forever, or even for that long really. Close to a
> hundred years is a spectacularly long time long
> IMHO.

True...Dr. Norwalk suffered colon cancer at one time, so he didn't eat healthy up to that point. Wonder how long he would have made it if he would have started out young on a raw food diet...

But...We all know of folks that last into their 90's eating a horrible diet, grossly overweight, no exercise, etc. Of course, the difference between them & us is that we will live up to our last years, full of life & on no meds at all!

Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: September 13, 2009 06:45PM

My answer is no....but the real issue is....is the individual following their own 'matrix' for what THEY think is healthy? If so, they have mental/spiritual health....and the body must surely follow.

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Date: September 13, 2009 07:32PM

juicerkatz Wrote:

>
> Well, guess I'm doomed then... Largely because of
> my childhood experiences which still haunt me,
> much of my outlook tends to gravitate towards grim
> & dim, or at the very least cynical...
>
> Ha! (laughing with you, not at you!)
If you beleive the above to be true, then it will be!
Somehow, i dont think so!

Anyway, its what you decide to do about right here, right now that counts!
Fun decision making!
ffx

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: September 13, 2009 07:54PM

juicerkatz,

You are not doomed unless you will it so. I am thinking more and more that what matters is to live in the "present," which elongates the moment, then the hour, then the day, and so on. If every moment or virtually every moment is gratifying, that turns into a gratifying hour, then a gratifying day, and so on. And the longevity of one's life becomes less important than the quality of that life. A long miserable life cannot end soon enough, but a short happy one is exquisite. Focus on the moments you have now, and from now on, and they will magnify : )

Date: September 13, 2009 08:40PM

Tamukha Wrote:
> juicerkatz,
>
> You are not doomed unless you will it so. I am
> thinking more and more that what matters is to
> live in the "present," which elongates the moment,
> then the hour, then the day, and so on. If every
> moment or virtually every moment is gratifying,
> that turns into a gratifying hour, then a
> gratifying day, and so on. And the longevity of
> one's life becomes less important than the quality
> of that life. A long miserable life cannot end
> soon enough, but a short happy one is exquisite.
> Focus on the moments you have now, and from now
> on, and they will magnify : )

Living in the present moment is the easiest way to live.
Practicing total acceptance of what is.

The fantastic thing is that you just choose to do it right here right now and then the past falls away, offering a clean slate for the now and indeed the future.
There is really no need to drag stuff from the past into the now through into the future.
We always have a choice.
You do not have to be a 'spiritual enlightened guru' to access the present moment.
Its right here right now. Become totally present and you have accessed it.
Job done!
ffx

Posted by: juicin' john ()
Date: September 13, 2009 09:40PM

yes i also confirm the article about the woman living to be 115 on crispy bacon, fried chicken, and ice cream diet. she probably had some good homegrown food at earlier days along with her upstanding attitude.

what's nice about life and using it to our advantage is that we can have a very crude impulsive individual in our midst and rather than fall into a negative state from his or her ignorance and lack of awareness...we can actually use it a way of convincing our mindful selves of the "ugliness" of such behavior and by remaining conscious of ourselves thereby crate an opportunity to avoid it in our own behaviors. i don't feel sorry for those who make their choice of sleep over wakefulness.

we actually gain an opportunity of evolution to a better leval at the expense of those who mindlessly choose "involution".

we cannot change the external world.. but we can always discover how to optimize our own inner world.

juicin' john

Date: September 13, 2009 10:38PM

Y'know, I find it interesting that so many folks give advice when they don't fully understand a situation; First off, let me preface this by saying that I am not intending to offend anyone in this post, but in the one-dimensional world of the internet it may come across that way...

I would refer to my friend John, who many of you graciously posted suggestions for in the anxiety thread. He is an individual that has been so beat down, his story is just incredible. Parental abuse to the 9th degree...much more than I could image an individual going through...my story pales in comparison.

With him, it has been just one thing after another, his adult life follows suit, kinda like "Bad News Schleprock" (rem. Pebbles & Bamm Bamm)? It is not so much that he is creating his situation, it is that he cannot seem to rise out of it.

At any rate, unless a person experiences this firsthand, they cannot understand that this cannot all be cured by the power of "positive thinking". Sometimes, a person has no fight left in them...if you knew the guy that I am talking about, you wouldn't be so quick to judge....

Not saying we should back down & give in to despair, but rather that it is not always something that is easily overcome.

I guess we all don't see everything through the same lenses...

Note - Sorry, don't mean to veer off topic, just thought it needed to be said. winking smiley

Date: September 13, 2009 11:39PM

juicerkatz wrote
>Y'know, I find it interesting that so many folks give advice when they don't fully understand a situation; First off, let me preface this by saying that I am > not intending to offend anyone in this post, but in the one-dimensional world of the internet it may come across that way...
-------------------------------------------------

The one dimensional world can distort, bearing that in mind,it is not my intention to offend you.

Have you considered that it may not be advice that people are giving, but simply sharing the experience?

We all have our stories.
Maybe it was reaching the depths of despair that brought people to the place they are now.
Maybe its best not to share what you don't want commented on. I learnt this lesson here!

juicerkatz wrote
> At any rate, unless a person experiences this firsthand, they cannot understand that this cannot all be cured by the power of "positive thinking". Sometimes, a person has no fight left in them...if you knew the guy that I am talking about, > > you wouldn't be so quick to judge....
-----------------------------------------------------------------
For me....
Its not about judgement, in fact the reverse is true, its about non judgement.
Its not about fighting, its about acceptance.
Its not about positive thinking, its about becoming totally present

juicerkatz wrote
> Not saying we should back down & give in to despair, but rather that it is not > always something that is easily overcome.
-------------------------------------------------------------

I once held a similar view and would defended it.
I now hold the view that it is as easy or difficult as you choose to make it.

Just some thoughts on your post. I accept that they may well not be your truth.
With respect
ffx

Date: September 14, 2009 12:21AM

The Fruit Faery,

No problem w/ your posts/no offenses - I welcome the comments, & I didn't view them in a negative manner. You are very respectable, I appreciate that. I take your comments to heart.

God Bless...

Posted by: RaeVynn ()
Date: September 14, 2009 06:23PM

While I have every intention of living forever (so far, so good!), beyond the idea of longevity is the question of quality living.

I'd rather live to be 80, for instance, if I can be healthy, vibrant, active, and joyful, than to live to be 100, and spend my final years sick, ill, disabled, depressed, etc.

Eating raw, for me, is ensuring that my 'golden years' will, indeed, be valuable years to me!

Live Well, Laugh Often, Love Much
We are all in this together!
Namasté

Posted by: Wheatgrass Yogi ()
Date: September 14, 2009 07:44PM

juicerkatz Wrote:
> Plus, now I'm bummed out 'cause I have read years
> ago that Dr. Normal Walker lived to age 119, but
> now it looks like that isn't the case, according
> to a prev. post.
That's right....here's his gravestone.

[img.photobucket.com]

The 'key' to longevity is 'regularity'. The old 'healthy'
(and I use that word rather loosely) people I know eat the same thing
day-in and day-out (and at the same time everyday). The Raw Food Gurus (of the past) didn't eat properly because of their lifestyles. The Raw Food Gurus of the present won't live any longer (speaking engagements and traveling cause Stress....I don't think Jack LaLanne, or Jay Kordich, will make it to 100....maybe LaLanne will because of his fitness level....WY

Posted by: RawPracticalist ()
Date: October 17, 2012 07:44PM

Posted by: michelemm ()
Date: October 17, 2012 09:12PM

Excellent point. Focus on the strengths, positives and regardless of what you eat, I think there are many factors to take into consideration for longevity.

Posted by: madinah ()
Date: October 17, 2012 10:37PM

I did not know that men could still be potent and conceive a that age. For those raw men, we may be looking at 120.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables