Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Certain raw food implications?
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: September 13, 2009 12:25PM

Hi,

I've heard that "raw cabbage is implicated in depressed thyroid functioning". Are there any implications to eat raw broccoli or any other certain raw vegetables?

Thank you.

Jupiter

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Certain raw food implications?
Posted by: plainlydressed ()
Date: September 13, 2009 03:06PM

I use tons of raw cabbage in my daily smoothies, so I would be curious as well for any information on this.

"Educate and inform the whole mass of the people... They are the only sure reliance for the preservation of our liberty."
—Thomas Jefferson

Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: September 13, 2009 06:42PM

I don't believe this is a big issue. Do you have a hypothyroid condition? If so, then you can certainly limit these cruciferous items. The litmus test for foods is to go without them for a week....then fast for a day....then eat just this item for a day.....and see how it reacts to your system. In any event, the positive effects of eating just raw food will.....for many individuals....far outweigh any minor 'transitional' negative effects that certain raw foods may cause them. Just my opinion/experience.

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Posted by: Krefcenz ()
Date: September 13, 2009 10:00PM

jupiter Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hi,
>
> I've heard that "raw cabbage is implicated in
> depressed thyroid functioning". Are there any
> implications to eat raw broccoli or any other
> certain raw vegetables?
>
> Thank you.
>
> Jupiter

Jupiter,

Hi. Could you tell us where you heard that? It would helpful to know the source. Lots of claims are made about eating specific foods raw but without knowing what the basis, it make it hard to evaluate. Eating a raw food diet may result in both risks and benefits. What important is to look at the data critically and make up your own mind. For example, I'd recently heard from a colleague that a raw food diet causes dental caries (cavities). I ask him for the source looked at it and have dismissed it. [content.karger.com]

In looking at this study, right off the bat, the number study subjects (130) is much too small to make generalizations for the general population. Second, it's based on food questionaires which are notriously unreliable and subject to extensive recall bias. Finally, the specifics of what raw foods and what dental hygeine factors can play are not discussed, in the abstract anyway. I'm using this study as an example of some authority which can be dismissed pretty easily instead of getting scared into doing something much more risky.

Kref

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: September 13, 2009 10:22PM

Kref,

I think jupiter is referring to the idea that the goiteregens in cruciferi impede iodine uptake in the thyroid gland.

Date: September 14, 2009 11:35AM

Hi Kref,

Please see following article:

[editor.nourishedmagazine.com.au]

Posted by: Krefcenz ()
Date: September 14, 2009 02:48PM

Tamukha Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Kref,
>
> I think jupiter is referring to the idea that the
> goiteregens in cruciferi impede iodine uptake in
> the thyroid gland.

I understand that. What I am asking is to look at the original data and groundtruth it to see if it has merit rather than simply assuming it before we look at other vegetables. Cruciferous vegetables in general are very important in fighting cancer. Obviously thyroid function is important to overall health. But for many phytochemicals, there really is no substitute to cruciferous vegetables.

Kref

Posted by: anuiyer7 ()
Date: September 14, 2009 03:54PM

Jupiter, I have also heard about this, but I forgot from which source... Please let us know what you find. My allopathic doctor however did advise NOT to eat cabbage , cauliflower as I also have hypothyroidism..

Best Regards
Anu

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: September 14, 2009 07:30PM

Kref,

The curious thing to me about the cabbage debate is that iodine is also essential for fighting cancer!

Posted by: loeve ()
Date: September 14, 2009 10:43PM

We've had threads recently discussing cruciferous veggies. Here's one -- [www.rawfoodsupport.com]

Kref, if you are interested in the original study it was done at John Hopkin on rabbits around 1930.

"The rabbits were placed on a diet consisting of a daily ration of approximately 250 gm. of
cabbage and a weekly ration of approximately 20 gra. of hay and 50 gm. of oats.
No water was given the animals to drink and they were maintained under standard
laboratory conditions which have been fully described in a previous communication (4)." [jem.rupress.org]

As you can see the poor rabbits were fed only cabbage, hay and oats. The lucky ones were fed cabbage grown along the Atlantic seaboard where they likely got iodine from the soil near the sea. They didn't develope goiters.
Animal studies like this are cruel and worthless.

Date: September 15, 2009 12:09PM

Sorry, I thought I posted following source the other day, but it did not come to the list. It mentions briefly and there is no reference attached. Not clear if it is true or faulse.

[editor.nourishedmagazine.com.au]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables