Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Protein Smothie
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: August 08, 2006 04:04PM

Hello,
Anyone has any suggestions about a good protein rich smothie? or what will mix good with flax seeds/sunflower seeds?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Protein Smothie
Date: August 09, 2006 11:12AM

anyone?

Posted by: sunshine79 ()
Date: August 09, 2006 04:34PM

I used to drink protein shakes all the time after lifting weights - however, since going raw, I've replaced shakes with shots of E3Live Blue-green algae, and it works just as good if not better.

However, I have seen raw food protein mixes at health food stores - mostly they are nut or hemp seed based, so you can always try those. Or look online.

Try adding hemp powder or spirulina or blue-green algae to your shakes (don't worry, they don't taste fishy or gross like they sound). I've tried the Crystal Manna flakes before and was really impressed, it's just quite an expensive product, though.

Also when I was a vegetarian I read that combining any 3 of the following: nuts, seeds, beans, and grains - will make a complete protein (on a raw diet you prob won't feel the need to be so anal about "proper" protein though).

Good luck!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/09/2006 04:37PM by sunshine79.

Date: August 09, 2006 07:59PM

Thanks for the advice, I'm currently looking for hemp protien powders it seems really nice, the only problem is that I live in Israel and no one seems to ship these things here.. sad smiley

Posted by: sodoffsocks ()
Date: August 09, 2006 08:50PM

Grow your own?

Date: August 10, 2006 08:27AM

What hemp? It's Illegal here.. our goverment still lives in the stone age and they put hemp in the same category with marijuana..

Posted by: jackie ()
Date: August 10, 2006 11:56AM

Here's my two cents:
I prefer hemp seed which has been shelled and not turned into powder. That's just another level of processing.

To ship it from Canada or the US in 5 pound buckets would be so expensive, I don't think I'd do it.

I'd stick to adding nuts (almonds, walnuts, etc. whatever's local) and see how that works re: protein for you. And, even though it's not raw, there're some decent whey products you can use - a little goes a LONG way in my opinion. Half a scoop = 10 grams or so, that's plenty.

Without whey or other protein powder, and without a lot of nuts, but with lots of greens and other veggies and fruit, I can get up to 50 grams protein daily. That's about all I need.

Now, if you have friends visiting Canada, they can be persuaded to buy you some hemp seeds and bring them home to you! It's about $5.00/pound, which I think is reasonable.

Good luck!

Date: August 10, 2006 07:33PM

Thanks for the advice and like u said even if they do ship is too expensive.

My father travels a lot from work, maybe if he will be in Canada or the US he could buy me seeds or powder..

Posted by: nik ()
Date: August 10, 2006 10:38PM

Can you get peas or lentils or any other legumes you can sprout? They only take 1-2 days to sprout and you can have a constant supply. They are good added to salads etc. I don't know what type of protein powders are available to you in your stores there. Pea protein and rice protein powders are good though. You can add nuts to your smoothies too, like a nut milk thing with the water and strain it if you wish.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables