Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Watermelon and body aches!?
Posted by: lotusblossom9 ()
Date: September 16, 2009 04:44PM

I have never been much of a watermelon eater until recently. Whenever I eat it, whether it is organic or not, my body starts to ache. It is a very uncomfortable feeling. It is now one of my favorite foods but I'm thinking about giving it up because I feel so awful after I eat it.

Has anybody else had this experience? Maybe it's a watermelon allergy?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Watermelon and body aches!?
Posted by: juicin' john ()
Date: September 16, 2009 04:51PM

if it is not organic ...it might have some chemicals which you are sensitive to.

also i don't trust the seedless varieties which are being heavily promoted in the supermarkets these days. only a few years back the majority of watermelons were seeded and now the seedless varieties seem to be outnumbering the seeded. some places don't evan carry seeded varieties. what i'm getting at is that seedless varieties may be a product of genetic engineering and who knows what else.

i go to the farmers market and buy unsprayed seeded watermelons.

jj

Date: September 16, 2009 05:26PM

I was told the reason why the watermelons don't have seeds in them are because they are not mature enough that they have all their seeds in them yet and were picked off the plant earlier on.

I laughed at this idea! My belief is that they were injected with some chemical, that made the seeds go away.

Posted by: juicin' john ()
Date: September 16, 2009 05:34PM

if they picked them at the stage of developement they said they would'nt taste too good would they?

for some reason seedless watermelons are being heavily promoted. monsanto wants to create a situation where they control all seed viability. if a farmer wants to plant something they have to purchase viable seed from monsanto. inbreeding of sterility into the farmer source of seed is what it is.

jj

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: September 16, 2009 08:23PM

lotusblossom,

How exactly does your body ache after watermelon? And are you eating it first thing on an empty stomach and by itself?

Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: September 16, 2009 08:43PM

If I eat too much watermelon too quickly, I get a stomach ache.What I do to avoid the ache is to eat 1/2 the amount that would normally give me a belly ache. Then wait for 15 to 30 minutes to allow that smaller amount of melon to digest. Then eat the rest of the melon in my meal.

Posted by: flipperjan ()
Date: September 16, 2009 09:19PM

seeds cannot just 'go away'

Posted by: The Fruit Faery ()
Date: September 16, 2009 10:24PM

I have taken a break from all melons.
I love them, but even small amounts appear to cause me problems.
I experience severe bloating within a few mins of eating melon, followed within the next few hours by aching/ sore joints and an inflamed colon
I recognised this as eating wheat brings on exactly the same symptoms.

I posted about the melon/ bloating issue on this site. Someone suggested that the melon i had been consuming may have been over ripe. That made sense to me.

Once these reactions occur in my body it can take up to two weeks for it to settle so i avoided melon for a while.
I have tried small amounts of both watermelon and cantaloupe since the initial reaction.
Both times i bloated followed by aching joints.
No more melon for me! just like my wheat experiences, its just not worth it.
My body does not want it and certainly lets me know about it!
ffx

Date: September 16, 2009 11:30PM

Tamukha Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> lotusblossom,
>
> How exactly does your body ache after watermelon?
> And are you eating it first thing on an empty
> stomach and by itself?

It feels like a wave of dull pain comes over my whole body and then intensifies into what feels like a whole body brain freeze. I'll have to sit down for 5-15 minutes to let it pass and then I feel absolutely fine.

I usually eat watermelon first thing in the AM on an empty stomach by itself. The feeling happens with both organic (which I buy at the local organic farm) and conventional watermelons.

I'm wondering if I can prevent it somehow. Perhaps it is a reaction with something I had eaten the night before (I am not 100% raw). Or perhaps it has to do with the amount of fat that I eat. I'm going to have to play around a bit to see if anything will help.

I just love watermelon too much to give it up!

Posted by: The Fruit Faery ()
Date: September 17, 2009 08:59AM

lotusblossom9 wrote...
I just love watermelon too much to give it up!

In my experience, it was the foods that i loved and did not wish to give up that caused my reactions.
Listen to what your body is telling you.
ffx

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: September 17, 2009 01:31PM

lotusblossom,

So sorry, but I'd advise you to give up the watermelon: you may love it, but it is certainly not loving you at this time!

Posted by: Prism ()
Date: September 17, 2009 06:46PM

I ate a ton of watermelon early on when first going raw, and I lost a lot of weight the first year..71 lbs. so depending on your health, maybe it's a cleansing reaction as watermelon is a great cleanser for the kidneys and bladder. It also has an aspirin like compound in it which may help fight inflammation and pain, but due to how much you are eating can create bloating and I think it's due the all the water that is in it or the toxins trying to leave your body all at same time. Eat small amounts.

I have not wanted watermelon this summer..had a few bites at a potluck and that's it. I've wanted a ton of citrus and lemons, grapefruits, things like that this summer. I have been doing a parasite cleanse though so that may be one reason for the change. Plus you do loose the taste for over sweet fruits I think eventually but may take a few years to get there.

I also have been into peaches lately..can't resist them when I come across them..and if I want to eat I think of a juicy ripe peach.

Also, make sure the fruits you eat aren't under ripe..over ripe is better imo, but cut off any really over ripe parts or moldy parts..never ingest moldy over ripe fruits.

Berries are always good for you..and great to add in smoothies. Eat thru the day, smaller portions, but more often..maybe every 2 hours even and make the meal simple with only 1 or 2 items at a time.

Love,
Prism

Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: September 17, 2009 07:14PM

lotusblossom9,

What you are describing is watermelon chill. In my previous post above, I describe how to avoid it.

Date: September 17, 2009 10:50PM

Thank you everyone for the advice. =)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables