Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Mushrooms and Larabars
Posted by: spekgirl ()
Date: September 21, 2009 11:40PM

hey all.
im new to raw eating and i have noticed im having alot of mushrooms i think like 400grams a day at times and also i have 2-3 larabars a day too im wondering if this is okay in the raw eating?

God said, "I have given you every plant with seeds on the face of the earth and every tree that has fruit with seeds. This will be your food." Genesis 1:29

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Mushrooms and Larabars
Posted by: life101 ()
Date: September 22, 2009 12:44AM

S, Some raw foodists eat mushrooms. I don't b/c they are a fungus and I read that they cause cancer. IMHO, I think you are eating so many b/c they have a "meaty" taste. This is the fifth taste, "umami" in Japanese. ( Remaining are salt, sweet, bitter, sour.)

The Larabars are another way of getting more nuts which some use in place of meat protein.

I like Larabars but I eat them occasionally when I go hiking, etc. for a quick snack. I prefer raisins & almonds for a more wholesome snack, though. The freshest would be fresh fruit.

You are still transitioning so be easy on yourself. You will find more wholesome alternatives to what you are currently eating when you are ready let go of your current mainstays. There are lots of websites for free raw food recipes when you want to experiment more.

Plug you food values at Fitday.com to ensure you are eating enough nutrients and supplement when needed. Good luck. Therese

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: September 22, 2009 12:48AM

I have been about 75% raw for about two months now and I was eating one Larabar a day, but I find the further in to this I go, I like them less and less. I have heard that they are not considered "raw", but heard that they are a good transition food to raw eating. I read the package and all that is in them is fruit and nuts, so, I personally think that they are ok, in moderation. Not sure about the mushrooms tho. I have been doing alot of smoothies fruit and veggies in the morning and much more veggies in the smoothie in the afternoon. Dinner is tough for me, cause my husband is not quite ready to go completely raw, but I try to include some raw items in our dinner menu. I make a raw applesauce in the vitamix using mcintosh apples, strawberries and blueberries almost every night. Hope this helps and congrats on committing to raw. - Deb-

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: September 22, 2009 12:31PM

spekgirl,

If your diet is varied and composed mostly of fresh foods, like fresh fruits and vegetables, this is probably just a transitioning phase for you. I eat raw "bars" only when out-and-about on a fitness tear. They're like cooked granola bars, in that respect. IMO, they are not a substitute for actual food.

life 101,

All fungi are not the same. I have never heard that mushrooms cause cancer; they have polysaccharides that act against cancer cells, in fact. But cultivated mushrooms have fewer than wild, medicinal ones, so I think to eat them for flavor or B vitamins is OK.

Posted by: kingpenguin ()
Date: February 10, 2010 02:32PM

I've noticed that often Larabars are put in a raw food section at the store or labelled by the store as a 'raw' food. However, only certain Larabars *say on the label* that they are raw.

I check the Larabar label to make sure it's one of the 'raw' varieties. And I also like them less and less the farther along I've been on raw. I consider them great for days where I'd probably eat something worse if I *don't* chow down 3 coconut creampie Larabars in a row.

-KP

Posted by: powerlifer ()
Date: February 10, 2010 03:00PM

mushrooms as has been said are good for you they contain immunse stimulative polysaccharides.

what kind of mushrooms are you eating'?

Posted by: banana who ()
Date: February 10, 2010 09:56PM

Mushrooms supposedy contain Vitamin D, from what I read. I am curious why fungi would be bad for us...anyone know? My philosophy is that if it isn't poisonous, we were meant to eat it.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: February 12, 2010 06:23AM

I don't b/c they are a fungus
Vegans can eat fungi.

and I read that they cause cancer.
Many species help prevent cancer. Which species was supposed to cause it (and what is your source)?

Posted by: CJJ ()
Date: February 13, 2010 01:31AM

I loved Lara Bars but stopped buying them once General Mills bought out the company. As far as I'm concerned GM is on the same level with mega-fast-food chains and Wal-Mart (evil).

I've read somewhere that mushrooms purify the soil, i.e. suck up all the bad stuff so I think you're good-to-go if they are organic mushrooms.

Posted by: Omega ()
Date: February 13, 2010 01:53AM

Mushrooms grow in the dark and I think we're better off eating foods that absorb light.

Posted by: kingpenguin ()
Date: February 13, 2010 02:37AM

GM!!! what is with small lovely companies selling it all to the wolves! AUGH! Every time you find a product worth buying, BAM. This sux. I JUST ate one.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables