Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Tired
Posted by: Mseight04 ()
Date: September 23, 2009 02:22PM

I'm living raw, but I'm always tired. I need help. Not sure what to do.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Tired
Posted by: juicin' john ()
Date: September 23, 2009 02:53PM

energy leval are not only related to physical requirements ..but also have alot to do with mental and emotional aspects. we live in a time in history where it is possible to be overwhwlmed mentally and emotionallly as we as physically so you need to evaluate the condition from a wholistic perspective.

if you dicover that there are emotional and mental issues involved with your tired feeling....be creative and put together a program which refreshes you in those areas. perhaps 100% raw is not exactly right for you and you need to adjust your percentages to create your own balance in your life.

juicin' john

Date: September 23, 2009 04:38PM

Thank you. I think I'm ok mentally. Do you think it would help to add other ingredients to my smoothies (Cacao, Maca, Hemp & Lucuma)? The only thing I add right now is spirulina.

Posted by: anuiyer7 ()
Date: September 23, 2009 05:21PM

MY suggestion: Increase Fresh juicy fruits, and less salads. Most of the calories (ideally) should come from fruits. When you are very tired, juices help also.

Take care
Anu

Posted by: juicin' john ()
Date: September 23, 2009 05:23PM

i hope you don't think i was insinuating that you were mentally challenged...i surely was not... what i was getting at is that on amental and emotional leval if we are "stressed" we could lose energy. balance is the key word. only you can acess that.

regarding the things to add to a smoothie...yes you could create a stimulating effect with the chosen herb or food.

i found that after years of detoxning my energy leval have improved alot. it took awhile but that is another thing you could think about.

wishing you the best..

juicin' john

Posted by: Prism ()
Date: September 24, 2009 02:38AM

Energy is from our fuel source, and if our bodies aren't in top shape to burn and use that energy we give it we may feel tired. It could take years, with some set backs to get bodies into some semblance of top shape and to know what balance one's body needs are to ingest, digest, and burn cleanly the fuel we use such as fruits and veggies, nuts and seeds, fats, and number of calories and when to eat it, how much to eat, what is stored to use later, etc.

It takes dedication and diligence, learning, and experimenting with our bodies and I find that one size does not fit all.

Some of us (me included) are not willing for whatever reasons to go to far reaches with some things that might help out such as exercise, getting down to that low fat ratio of our bodies, sticking with it day after day. Some people encounter problems out of their control that all of a sudden tampers with their health, maybe it's contaminated foods, chemicals, pesticides, jobs, molds, etc.

But overall I think we can make leaps and bounds to slow the clock down, reverse it even, and find better or more enhanced health thru our better health practices, and whenever one eats plenty of fresh raw produce, keeps their environment clean and gets rid of things they can control is looking at a better investment in their overall health and it increases year after year, due to our learning curve and the more time we have to get rid of things later..say in our sixth year of raw, since you can't seemingly do it at once 'cause you can't do what you don't know yet.

So, you should feel tired at times, and the toxic waste has to go somewhere..and it's taxing on a body dependent on what state of health its in to go thru the process.

Food sources that create the illusion of quick energy probably would be used for short term gain when what you are eventually after is the long term gains. So it's up to you if you want to use those types of quick energy sources. A minimum or some moderation at times are not going to be that hurtful over the long time, just keep working on the long term goals one by one and they will come.

IF I'm ever in a marathon or Iron Women race I'll let you know..maybe when I'm in my 70'ssmiling smiley

Love,
Prism

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: September 24, 2009 11:55AM

Mseight04,

I agree with the other posters, but would simply say to make sure you are getting enough calories. You could just be tired from a lack of food, simple as that.

Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: September 24, 2009 02:20PM

Mseight04,

Don't add the superfoods to counter your fatigue. This will just cover up and suppress the symptoms without achieving any real healing. And all this will do is defer the healing (and perhaps make your condition worse).

What your body is asking for is rest. For me, when I went from a high fat raw diet to a low fat raw diet, I became fatigued all the time. But I realized this was detox, so what I did was make space for me to get all the rest and sleep I needed. I took 4 months off from work, and slept all the time. At first, I slept 16 to 18 hours a day. Over each month, my need for sleep reduced a few hours a month, until the end of the 4th month, where I only needed 10 hours of sleep each day.

After I allowed my body all this sleep, I began to gain some healthy weight (I was underweight), the dark circles under my eyes went away, and I felt the most healthy I had ever felt in my whole life.

If could be that you are not eating enough calories. Try eating some more fresh sweet fruit and see if your fatigue goes away. If it does not, then what your body is trying to do is to catch up on some sleep debt (like my body did) to give the body an opportunity to heal itself.

Date: September 24, 2009 09:34PM

LOL, no, not at all. I understood. I appreciate ur advice.

Ty

Date: September 24, 2009 09:35PM

Thank you.

Date: September 24, 2009 09:36PM

That's what I'm thinking. I'm also trying 2 lose weight, so maybe that's what it is.

Date: September 24, 2009 09:45PM

I have been sleeping alot. When I get home from work, I don't want 2 do anything but sleep. I actually went 2 sleep last night/afternoon, LOL @ 1400 hrs, & slept until 0800 hrs this morning. I wish I could not work,& sleep, sleep, sleep! Unfortunately, I have to work, & I'm a college student, that's why I'm trying 2 focus on energy. I may not be eating enough. I truly believe that it is. I just don't know how much 2 eat, & not gain weight, & alot of times, I don't want 2 eat. I would say, I'm 95% raw. I do eat ezekial bread, & nutbutter (from the store), from time to time, that is why I say 95%. No matter what, I'm not going 2 give up. I know this is what I want 2 do, & I'm going 2 do it (stay with it)!

Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: September 24, 2009 10:15PM

Mseight04,

Perhaps you ought to take a few weeks off from school/work so that you can sleep. Explain to your advisor that you are sick and your body is calling for a lot of sleep right now. Even if you have to stay out of school a quarter or semester, this is a small price to pay for your health.

Perhaps you can get a loan from family or friends to carry you over during this time of healing.

Posted by: thenewguy ()
Date: September 25, 2009 06:52PM

Hi Mseight04,

I'm curious... were you tired BEFORE you went raw? Or does this seem like a "symptom" of going raw?

You mentioned wanting to lose weight also. If you're overweight, maybe you have sleep apnea or some other sleep disorder that is preventing you from getting a restful sleep? Just a thought from another angle.

Bill

Posted by: The Fruit Faery ()
Date: September 25, 2009 07:08PM

Hi Mseight04
Rest is important. So is exercise. Moving your body, however tired you may be will help.
Do you do any form of exercise?
Exercise promotes a deeper quality sleep / relaxation.
If you are concerned about weight, maybe choose exercise rather than calorie restriction to work on shedding the excess.
Maybe you could eat a little more if you were to increase your exercise level until you find your body's point of balance.
Exercise also has a positive effect on the mind and is an excellent motivator.
ffx

Posted by: Krefcenz ()
Date: September 25, 2009 09:41PM

Mseight04 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'm living raw, but I'm always tired. I need
> help. Not sure what to do.

A couple of questions,

- what did you eat before you went raw?
- what type of raw diet are you eating now?
- how long have you been eating this diet?

I think answering these questions could helpful but agree with most of the posters on the thread, esp with detox.

Kref

Date: September 26, 2009 04:59AM

Hi Bill, no, I was good. I sleeping is not my problem. I can sleep. On alot of days, I just feel weak & tired. Like I'm missing energy. Like I need something to pep me up. After work, I feel drained. All I want 2 do is sleep. This is not every single day, but most days.

Date: September 26, 2009 05:02AM

Hello, I'm doing minimal workout b/c I just don't have enough enery 2 do more. I do 20 mins on my treadclimber, & weight training every other day. I'm going 2 figure this out. I've decided 2 try & eat more, & hopefully that will give me more energy to workout more.

Date: September 26, 2009 05:17AM

I tried Raw in Jan 09. The first couple of weeks, I was tired, but my energy level returned. I stayed Raw for a few mths, & quit. I felt great though. I started back Sep 09. It's been a couple of weeks, but I feel worst as far as the energy dept than I did in Jan 09. I've lost 10 pds (lost in the first week). I do believe I'm not eating enough. As I said b4, I'm not sure how much I should eat. I only eat when hungry, & that's not often.

I use to eat alot of stuff. Especially sweets, & junk food. Now I eat mostly fruits. I have either Juice or smoothie everyday. I make dishes like raw pasta, marinated mushrooms, avacado's/guacomole, nuts, nut milk, salad (everyday), fruit, fruit, fruit, water, ezekial bread & nutbutter. I've try different recipes in a couple of books I have, but I haven't been raw that long, so I have a way 2 go.

Today, I actually felt stronger. I didn't do much though. Just hung around the house. I slept alot. I ate a little more. So maybe that's it. I need 2 eat more.

Posted by: EZ rider ()
Date: September 26, 2009 05:23AM

Mseight04

I just feel weak & tired. Like I'm missing energy. Like I need something to pep me up.

In the past have you used stimulants like caffeine ?

Posted by: The Fruit Faery ()
Date: September 26, 2009 08:54AM

Mseight04 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hello, I'm doing minimal workout b/c I just don't
> have enough enery 2 do more. I do 20 mins on my
> treadclimber, & weight training every other day.
> I'm going 2 figure this out. I've decided 2 try &
> eat more, & hopefully that will give me more
> energy to workout more.

Yes!
Increase food, exercise and rest. Move through the tiredness and find the wonderful space beyond. Make sure that you rest afterwards and enjoy!
All good.
I wish you well
ffx

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables