Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

building strength???
Posted by: luvyuu ()
Date: September 25, 2009 05:06AM

Hi there... so I have been mostly raw for about a year now... i wanna say about 90% ish... anyhow...not so important... what i have noticed... is that i'm not as strong as i used to be... Example... I learned how to surf before i was raw...heck even before i was vegan... i was vegetarian... i was able to jump up on the board and fall of course and fight the waves for hours and hours even my boyfriend was impressed with my persistence...

and well i surfed twice now since i have been raw... the first time was in Spain about a year ago... and now i'm in California and i'm surfing again... In Spain I noticed how weak i was... it was hard to jump up on the board and i was exhausted from fighting the waves after a very short time i couldn't wait for my rental time to be up... i attributed this to being newly raw and getting over some "bad" water i had gotten so i figured i was weak from that as well....

but now a year later... I am still weak... when surfing today...I was exhausted from fighting the waves and it was really hard for me to pop up on the board... and i was chilled so easily... i know a wet suit will help that...when i can afford one... and i'm not completely out of shape... i ran 3+ miles the other day... and ride my bike where ever i go...and do sit ups and push ups and yoga...etc

so what can i do about this weakness... i am feeling full when i eat... and i've lessened my fat intake... and increased my greens... i am in the process of revamping my diet again... so i can start weaning off the dried fruit... as it has helped me as a transition snack...

so my eating so far goes sort of like this...

green smoothies with various fruit and lots of spinach for breakfast

a big salad for lunch...including but not limited to
beets beet greens carrots romaine lettuce cucumber zuchinni ginger garlic chard
basil cilantro olive oil or hemp oil... lemon lime red yellow orange pepper occasionally avocado... very occasionally coconut and it's water in my smoothie... so obviously not all this in one salad... but this is been what i have been having most lately... and it is my biggest meal for the day

in the evening i've gotten into a habit of raisons bananas dried mango dried papaya dried pineapple for a snack before dark... and as i said i am weaning off of this... mostly it's raisons and bananas but i've decided no more to see how i feel...

i was eating quite a few almonds and sunflower seeds...but i have taken a break from those as well it's been a week or so since i have had those...

so all this is just to give an idea of what i have been eating... and i'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions...

love laugh and dream

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: building strength???
Posted by: rawpreston ()
Date: September 25, 2009 05:38AM

Is only the surfing more difficult? How is your running? How are your energy levels in general?

Good instincts with cutting back on nuts and seeds, you may have been getting too much fat, it's common. Fat is not the muscles' fuel, and excessive fat is not conducive to athletic pursuits. Overeating on fats means undereating on carbs, which means glycogen stores are not up to snuff. Fats also interfere with the uptake, transport, and delivery of both oxygen and glucose to all cells of the body, thereby also inhibiting performance.

You may want to try keeping that fat intake low for a while and recheck your energy/stamina. I recommend 80/10/10 for the proper way to do lowfat raw vegan. I'm pretty exhausted from singing its praises in the other thread but I highly recommend you check out the book smiling smiley Doug Graham has been a hardcore athlete for life and he knows this stuff.

Posted by: loeve ()
Date: September 26, 2009 02:43AM

Muscles fire by nerve impulses carried by electrolytes. Since you are fortunate to have access to the sea maybe check out the local fresh sea vegetables? The California coast is famous for it's kelp beds. I've never tried that but yesterday went diving for sea lettuce, bladderwrack and codium which I like with carrots and coconut. It keeps me going.

Posted by: EZ rider ()
Date: September 26, 2009 03:39AM

The timing of your eating could be a factor. When you eat something, say fruit for example, it digests quickly and is available as an elevated blood sugar level. If however you havn't eaten in awhile and then exercise your blood sugar levels could be low. You could experiment with eating some easily digested carbs before exercising while allowing enough time to get the blood sugar levels increased but not so much time that the blood sugar level decreases again.

Date: September 26, 2009 06:13PM

wow loeve that sound cool... diving for sea lettuce... i love it... so I am in San Diego... where do i go to get this kind of stuff... i love sea veggies

i will try the timing thing Ez rider...maybe i will bring some fuits to the beach with me and eat them just before...

I really do have to get grahams book... i've been trying to get to the 80 10 10 mark for a while maybe if i have the book i will be more motivated...

thanks everybody...

love laugh and dream

Posted by: Utopian Life ()
Date: September 26, 2009 11:04PM

I would eat more fruit and less fat and then strength train.

Date: September 27, 2009 01:22PM

luvyuu Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> wow loeve that sound cool... diving for sea
> lettuce... i love it... so I am in San Diego...
> where do i go to get this kind of stuff... i love
> sea veggies
>
>

The best place to go is usually a rocky coast line (open ocean) at low tide where seaweed can be picked just by walking along. There are many species and all are edible. The main types are green, red and brown. Or you can pack a mask and swim fins (or just swimming goggles) and gather any time. Some species grow below the low-water line. I usually just take from whatever the surf washes up on the beach but it's fun to go out for it sometimes.

Date: September 28, 2009 01:22AM

So it's all edible??? cause at the beach we are close to there is tons all the time... but my roommate tells me that there are some kelp beds near by as well... I have been wanting to buy a snorkel anyhow... so this is good motivation...thanks...

as an update... i am still weak yesterday i over did it... and i know that when i was a cooked eater i could over do it but not so easily... i ran about 2 miles... and then i went surfing about an hour... and today i've been feeling so so tired and weak... eating more fruit is a struggle for me cause if i eat too much i don't feel so good... and last night i dreamt about bananas and my sister telling me (in the dream) that i need to be careful of eating bananas because of worms... strange dream aye... she was also checking my blood pressure and heart rate and other vitals... using bananas... i know i have strange dreams... any how... i'm gonna keep increasing the greens and go gather some sea veggies...

love laugh and dream

Posted by: flipperjan ()
Date: September 28, 2009 10:14AM

mightened be a bad idea to get your iron and thyroid tested. A deficiency in either (both in my case) can leave you barely able to get through the day depending on severity.

Date: September 28, 2009 04:03PM

my thyroid is fine...just had it checked last winter... Iron I think is ok though i haven't had it checked... yeah when i can afford it i may have some blood and Urine checked to see if there is something more going on...

love laugh and dream

Date: September 29, 2009 12:30AM

luvyuu Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> So it's all edible??? cause at the beach we are
> close to there is tons all the time... but my
> roommate tells me that there are some kelp beds
> near by as well... I have been wanting to buy a
> snorkel anyhow... so this is good
> motivation...thanks...
>
>

Yes, luvyuu, up off Vancouver Island there are about a thousand species and all are edible. It's the same everywhere so it seems. I'm off Cape Cod and nibble on new varieties often. It's so different than land plants where they have defenses against bugs and animals. Sea veggies are very chewy raw though. Maybe that and their low caloric value protects them. If I didn't have a juicer it would be tough winking smiley

Date: October 01, 2009 02:45PM

Hey luvyuu, someone has made a list of sea veggies and rocky intertidal beaches for San Diego. [nsgl.gso.uri.edu]

The beaches where I live are sandy and so sea veggies only have stones and shellfish to holdfast to. We get a lot of codium (fragile), an invasive species destructive to shellfish, but good to eat. It's also on the San Diego list along with sea lettuce (ulva).

Date: October 02, 2009 12:30AM

wow... thanks...that's quite a list... at the moment many of those words mean nothing to me... but i will start defining them and discovering them and devouring them... at the moment i am fasting... my moon is coming more regularly now... i've had a smoothie this morning but the rest will be water with a bit of lemon juice and unsweetened cranberry juice...

blessings...

love laugh and dream

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables