Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Help! Traveling to the UK and staying raw?
Posted by: CMiller ()
Date: September 28, 2009 09:11PM

Hi!
My husband and I are traveling to the south of England in a couple of weeks and I'm a little nervous about sticking to my raw foods lifestyle (which I'm absolutely loving) while I'm there. Can anyone give me names and locations of health food stores or markets where I might find fresh organic foods? Perhaps things that might be travel friendly? Thank you!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Help! Traveling to the UK and staying raw?
Posted by: gorillawar ()
Date: September 28, 2009 09:45PM

The last time I was in the UK I ended up eating lots of cukes. Grocery stores is where I bought them. Try the site below for health food stores and restaurants.

[www.happycow.net]

Posted by: debbietook ()
Date: September 29, 2009 04:29AM

Hi

I'm in the South of England (Reading, Berkshire), but without knowing where you are exactly, can only help in general terms (ie there's an organic co-op market near me, but could be a long way from where you are!).

'Health food stores' probably aren't your best bet. Here they tend to be full of pills and potions rather than fresh foods.

But Tesco, large supermarket chain, have a good range of organic fruit and veg - even melons, pineapples etc.

If you're in London, you should be able to find organic grocers/good farmers' markets nearby. Brighton similarly.

Anywhere else...suggest you join the Raw Food UK forum and ask there:

[health.groups.yahoo.com]

And, if you take a trip to London, Vitaorganic (Wardour St, Soho, near Oxford Circus) is the best bet for wonderful raw salads (well, almost raw - bar the brazil nuts!).

Posted by: flipperjan ()
Date: September 29, 2009 07:19AM

As to healthfood stores - it depends what you eat. They don't have much fresh fruit and veg usually but if you want nut butters, coconut oil, seaweed and that sort of thing then they are your best bet.

If you say where you are going I will do some research for you. You will find vegan cafes in the big cities which will probably do lovely salads - places like London, Bristol and Brighton

But in the country yyou will be lucky to get a decent salad at a pub. The chef in my local says that vegans and vegetarians should be burned - to my credit I managed to have a polite conversation with him!!!

Not all places are like that but it really is luck of the draw.

I don't know how prices compare but I find fruit particularly very expensive.
Bananas are probably the cheapest fruit.

Posted by: Hellokitty ()
Date: September 29, 2009 01:23PM

where in the south are you going, if your going to Brighton youll be fine there is even a raw reasturant there

Date: September 29, 2009 01:30PM

Thanks so much for all the advice! We'll be in London and then in Brockenhurst. In our travels, we'll visit Salisbury, Southhampton, and Dover. (Yes, we're jumping hither and yon. :-) ) Best wishes....

Date: September 29, 2009 01:32PM

I'm sure I could come up with a reason to visit Brighton. :-) What is the name of the restaurant? Thanks!

Posted by: Funky Rob ()
Date: September 29, 2009 02:03PM

The raw cafe in Brighton is called Mana [www.mannaofbrighton.com]

If you are visiting London I have created a map of London with raw cafes and places to buy organic fruit and veg:

[www.rawrob.com]

Rob

--
Rob Hull - Funky Raw
My blog: [www.rawrob.com]

Date: September 30, 2009 05:12AM

Wow, that's fantastic! A big encouragement...thanks!

Posted by: Helen ()
Date: September 30, 2009 02:25PM

I love London because of the great raw food variety.

In London there are great raw food restaurants:

www.safrestaurant.co.uk (not been there)

www.villagewholefoods.co.uk (my favourite!!!)

www.vitaorganic.co.uk

www.inspiralled.net (with live music in the evening)

www.rainforestcreations.co.uk (a really great market stall at different markets at different times)

and

Tony's Hemp Store, 10 Caledonian Rd, N1 9DU (7837 5223). KIng's Cross St Pancras tube/rail.

There is also a new one in Notting Hill .... I just cannot remember the name right now, sorry! (Maybe google notting hill + raw )

You can also find a large variety of exotic fruits in asian supermarkets, e.g. in Brick Lane. I bought a huge jack fruit (about 10 lbs.) for 15 GBP there.

Date: September 30, 2009 02:29PM

I live 200 miles away from London but I might as well be on a different planet. Jack fruit - never ever seen one!! smiling smiley

Date: October 01, 2009 05:30AM

Helen, what day is the Brick Lane fruit and veg market? I've heard of the Sunday market but thought that was things other than fresh produce.

Date: October 01, 2009 06:46AM

Sorry, just googled and answered my own question. The fruit market's on Sunday as well, in Sclater Street.

Posted by: Helen ()
Date: October 01, 2009 12:17PM

I bought the jack fruit in a supermarket in Brick Lane, I did not go to the veg and fruit market there.

But on Sundays there is Spitalfield Markets near Brick Lane, and there is a stall from Rainforest Creations with lots of great raw food, you get it in a box to go. They have juices, falafel, different salades, dips, cakes, cookies and lots more.

Posted by: Hellokitty ()
Date: October 01, 2009 02:13PM

Sorry i havent been on for a couple of days but yea its called manna

Date: October 01, 2009 03:30PM

Thanks, Helen, so in that case it doesn't matter which day I go (when jackfruit are in season, that is.)

Agree Rainforest Creations. I've had their food at events - salads particularly good.

Date: October 01, 2009 04:09PM

What is a jack fruit?

Posted by: Funky Rob ()
Date: October 01, 2009 11:48PM

Dragonfly (www.villagewholefoods.co.uk) is now unfortunately closed.

Rob

--
Rob Hull - Funky Raw
My blog: [www.rawrob.com]

Date: October 05, 2009 05:02PM

It's so encouraging to have the support of other raw foodies. Looking forward to trying out a few of these places....Thanks!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables