Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Raw food and cold weather
Posted by: deafdrummer ()
Date: September 29, 2009 06:44PM

I would like to get some comments on experiences with raw food and cold weather. I'm mainly talking about those of you who live raw, and it's mainly limited to sweet fruit, some veggies like tomatoes, cukes, lettuce celery, etc., and a small amount of nuts. What has your experience been IF you had been sensitive to cold before, and now you're eating raw food as described?

I noticed just dropping refined oils alone increases my tolerance for cold in AC'ed buildings, and hot weather does not bother me. I just wonder how I'm going to fare this winter. I know last winter I did not have to wear my fleece jacket inside the AC'ed building I work in. This was before I started going raw for short periods.

Stephanie

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Raw food and cold weather
Posted by: roadrunner ()
Date: September 29, 2009 10:22PM

I live in Idaho and it gets cold here and for about 8 months out of the year its cold.
I stay away from bananas in the cold because theyre a warming fruit.
I ate a lot of bananas a couple winters ago and froze my rear off.
Since eliminating them in the winter Im much warmer eating apples,oranges,etc.
Also keep the fat down to 10 % or less. too much fat will also cause cold hands and feet. At least with me anyway, Im finding less fat and my feet and hands are fine.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: September 29, 2009 10:32PM

I've had zero problems with the weather so far in Ireland. I think that people who get thin on ordinary foods feel the cold a lot, but NOT people on raw foods.

Raw foods for some reason make me feel warmer. They give me a vibrancy and energy from the inside out. I used to be so cold all the time before... now I'm not because I have so much more energy etc. I know many non-raw people or raw-skeptics might say that's bs... but that's really the truth, for ME personally anyway.

Posted by: Utopian Life ()
Date: September 29, 2009 11:13PM

I got cold as easily on cooked&raw vegan as I did on a higher fat raw vegan diet, but now on high fruit, I don't get cold as easily. I think being raw in the winter is as easy as being raw in the summer - it's all about making the most of your life and situations.

Date: September 30, 2009 01:19AM

roadrunner Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I live in Idaho and it gets cold here and for
> about 8 months out of the year its cold.
> I stay away from bananas in the cold because
> theyre a warming fruit.
> I ate a lot of bananas a couple winters ago and
> froze my rear off.
> Since eliminating them in the winter Im much
> warmer eating apples,oranges,etc.

What? Wait a minute. Back up. I have noticed when I eat banana meals at work, I would get chilled sometimes for a short while. Why is that happening? Is that why we're supposed to eat fruit based on where we live? I don't know anything about this fruit being warming or cooling.

I have also noticed the same thing after eating nuts or trapped in a restaurant situation. I end up being a bit chilled at work, but not like before.

What are fruits for summer, and what are fruits for winter? I've a bunch of bananas here, so I'm going eat them and freeze off at work for the next couple of days, but I will try out apples and oranges, which I have not eaten a lot of in the last few months.

Thanks!
Stephanie

Posted by: Prism ()
Date: October 01, 2009 05:30PM

I'm in SoCal and while many would think one would be warm enough in the winter here, it can get cold in evenings and nights, sometimes during day and more often then you think. I'm determined to stay as high raw this winter as I can, but it is hard sometimes.

Calories will give you a warmth after you've eaten since you are going to burn them within that first 20 minutes..feels good really. So, maybe eat less at each meal or snack and just make them often enough thru your day so you are getting the calories that will heat up (fuel) your body and speed up metabolism.

I think we eat too much for the most part anyway. Men probably can eat much more fruits, since they often need more calories, and there is a lot of sugar and calories in fruits. Anyone can eat as many veggies as they like, raw or if one feels they want to eat steamed but only without the extras like tons of dressing or other things.

I am still learning myself and the transitions and changes are still happening after 6 years of finding raw foods.

Love,
Prism

Posted by: roadrunner ()
Date: October 01, 2009 10:21PM

When I eat apples and oranges i dont get cold but bananas I freeze!

Date: October 02, 2009 01:15AM

I will let you know in the next few days what I find out. I did notice today after eating apples that I was sweating just a bit, like it was actually warm in the building.

Stephanie

Posted by: Helen ()
Date: October 02, 2009 12:31PM

As to myself, I got cold easily before I had started eating raw, but now, with raw food, it has not gotten better, but sometimes worse.

If I eat fruit in winter, I start really freezing right away. On the other hand, when I eat fats, e.g. raw tahini, and salt, it helps not to freeze so much.

In Germany, many raw foodists say you should not eat too many fruits in winter, but combine starchy vegetables (carrots, beets, parsnips, ....) with nuts (almonds, hazelnuts, walnuts etc.) in one meal and chew very intensively.

I also add ginger and other hot spices to my meals.

What also helps me apart from food:

1. whoolen underwear and socks

2. wearing 2 pairs of socks

3. a "kidney belt" made of whool

4. a special lotion for cold feet that you can buy here in Germany, it also has ginger, chilli pepper extract as ingredients

5. a hot water bottle

But the best is having a good friend that warms you :-)
isn't it???

Posted by: gorillawar ()
Date: October 12, 2009 09:48AM

I get colder on raw foods than on cooked. But then again I drop weight when I eat raw and that might have something to do with it. I am almost three weeks into a juice feast and I get terribly cold sometimes. Maybe it's my energies going elsewhere to aid in detox and rebuilding.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables