Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

another question, sleep
Posted by: Annie_pie ()
Date: October 01, 2009 02:20PM

Sorry i'm so full of questions but i'm learning a lot through this forum. We heard about people eating raw feeling more energy and needing less sleep, but we have been feeling the opposite. We are in our second week of doing totally raw so maybe we are still detoxing, but both myself and my husband can't seem to wake up in the morning. We feel a lot of energy throughout the day, but when our usual wake up time at 5 comes around we can't pull ourselves out of a deep sleep, sometimes we don't hear our alarm and we don't get up until 7 when the kids wake us. Whats going on? We are eating a good amount of food, about 45% fruit 15% sprouted grains and 30% veggies, especially dark leafies, and 10% nuts and seeds. Once we wake up we are fine and feel more energetic than ever, and we're going to bed on time.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: another question, sleep
Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: October 01, 2009 03:58PM

There is nothing wrong here. The standard diet is chock full of stimulants, so its natural that going to a raw diet might have the effect of making you sleep more. Also, if your body is doing some housekeeping (detoxing or cleansing), this sleep is where the bulk of that housekeeping is occurring.

Get the extra sleep and be thankful for it, as it is healing your body. In time, when your body is finishing detoxing, you may need less sleep, depending on how clean your diet is. The cleaner the diet, the less the toxin intake, the less the need for internal housekeeping.

Date: October 02, 2009 01:29AM

Thanks. I actually have been vegan for 4 years with no coffee, caffiene (even chocolate), and low sugar. I'm used to whole grains and greens, but i'm sure there is still a lot of detoxing to do. how about your sleep, bryan? Are you all raw? do you sleep well?

Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: October 02, 2009 07:02AM

I have been all raw for nearly 8 years. I started with raw foods 6 months before becoming all raw. I don't always get all the sleep my body wants, but I like to get 8 to 9 hours of sleep a night when possible. And if I need to be up in 6 hours, I can do that quite easily, if my previous night's meal was fat free or very low fat.

You're bodies being in very deep sleep at 7am suggests that your body is still detoxing last night's meal. You might try eating no fatty foods in the evening meal and see if that helps.

Date: October 03, 2009 11:04PM

Thanks. We actually don't eat in the evening. For years we have been on a two meal plan where we finish our second meal around 3 or 3:30, then don't eat until breakfast. This helps my husband sleep a lot better. Maybe we are just expecting too much. Although we are sleeping later, we both noticed that we have more energy and motivation during the day. I fell like going a little further and pushing a little harder on my bike rides, and more focused with my daughters homeschooling. Maybe we just need the sleep, but we also need the time in the day. Thanks for your help.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables