Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

molasses and herbs
Posted by: humbug ()
Date: August 09, 2006 09:24PM

I've been reading some really interesting stuff on rawfoodexplained.com. A lot of it is what I already believed or had a hunch was true but was glad to find more evidence to back me up. Two new viewpoints are that blackstrap molasses are no better(perhaps worse) than white sugar, and that herbs are poisons and should be avoided. I feel inclined to believe these viewpoints but would be interested if anyone has any further comments or reading material on this.

Many thanks
Humbug

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: molasses and herbs
Posted by: sodoffsocks ()
Date: August 09, 2006 10:41PM

Everything is poisonous, or at least if you look hard enough you can find people making such claims for anything. Also, if you take a large enough dose of anything (even water), you'll die (or get sick at best).

Is molasses raw? I thought it was similar maple syrip and had been boiled for a long time. Although there seems to be enough people putting maple syrip in food and claiming it's raw.

The text on herbs I looked at on the website you meansioned seems devoid of any scientic process or references. While i'm not saying they are wrong or right, I can't take them seriously when they make wild claims without backing them up.

Cheers,
Ian.

Posted by: Little Bug ()
Date: August 10, 2006 12:06AM

Nothing is worse than white sugar.

Posted by: Raine ()
Date: August 10, 2006 03:49AM

Actually, Splenda may be worse than white sugar.

A friend of mine insists upon using Splenda and one time at her house I noticed that it fizzed when being added to tea - that fizzing reminded me of pool chemicals for some reason. A few days later I stumbled upon a site called TruthAboutSplenda.com and one of the items is the breakdown of what Splenda is made from -- evidentally chlorine is involved which accounts for my reaction to seeing Splenda added to tea. They also claim that Splenda is now added to more than 3,000 manufactured products and many of them aren't listing is as an ingredient.

I don't know if it's all true, but if it's half-true, it's scary stuff.

Posted by: innervegetable ()
Date: August 10, 2006 06:02AM

molasses is cooked at high temps. and is almost as bad as white sugar because it contains some minerals iron...

herbs are medicinal in small amounts and poisonous in large

"everything in moderation, especially moderation"

Re: MOLASSES
Date: August 11, 2006 07:03PM

Oh, Splenda is definately not splendid. Really and truly evil is more like it.

Personally, I put a tablespoon of sorghum molasses in my tea because of the high mineral content. Also, I adore herbs and take them every day. But they aren't the store bought irradiated kind.

J.

Date: August 11, 2006 07:03PM

Blackstrap molasses is nasty and burnt tasting.

Posted by: Rawrrr! ()
Date: August 11, 2006 08:29PM

I use Plantation Blackstrap Molasses as a supplement. I called the company and spoke to a representitive. He said it is certified vegan organic and he is sending me a vegan certification.

Just thought I'd spread the word to anyone who like molasses, although it is not raw, it is a wonderful supplement full of iron, calcium, B vitamins, and other nutrients.

Posted by: humbug ()
Date: August 13, 2006 12:16PM

Thank you for this information. Yes, I'm new to the vegan thing, and gradually moving towards just raw food, so I hadn't thought deeply about the fact that molasses aren't raw.

I need to look into the herb thing further.

Thanks again
Humbug

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: August 13, 2006 12:43PM

If someone is making claims like "herbs are poison" they should be disregarded as a dolt.

All primates and even many "lower" forms of life use herbal medicine. I was reading an article the other day about monkies who roll up a leaf of a particular plant when they have parasites and swallow it whole without chewing (evidently it's got a very strong taste). Trust nature not what you read on a free website (even this one winking smiley).

check out this book - Wild Health

Date: August 13, 2006 03:52PM

I'm a book nerd and that looks like a cool book to read. I can't wait to read it!

Posted by: LikeItOrNot ()
Date: August 13, 2006 03:53PM

I agree with the poster who said "Everything is Poisiounus if you look hard enough". So true.

Mollasses aren't raw because it's the byproduct of boiled sugar. It's one of the good sweeteners, it's alkaline forming and high in calcium. And it tastes like crap. I mix a tbsp or 2 in with smoothies just for the alkaline and calcium. Doesn't taste so bad mixed with bannana and strawberries and some other stuff. The brand WHolesome Sweeteners Organic doesn't taste as bad.

There's some info on here:
[www.whfoods.com]

Date: August 13, 2006 04:05PM

Wholesome molasses is also certified vegan. I did my homework after reading that article from the original poster. It is very true that they use animal bone ash to filter many brands of molasses. So the article is correct. From my research, it is the organic brands who don't use bone ash in production. Plantation and Wholesome are the only two brands I know of being certified vegan though.

Date: August 14, 2006 07:06PM

You can get the same benefits of minerals from sorghum molasses rather than forcing yourself to down that wretched blackstrap variety. Sorghum is made from sorghum, not cane sugar.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables