Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Solitary Practitioner's
Posted by: thenewguy ()
Date: October 07, 2009 01:50PM

Hi Everyone,

Curiosity question: How many of you are living a raw food lifestyle without any direct contact with another person who is doing the same?

Except for you guys/girls, I'm doing it alone

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Solitary Practitioner's
Posted by: flipperjan ()
Date: October 07, 2009 02:34PM

Me, although my daughter is keen - but no one else.

Thank goodness for this forum

Posted by: deafdrummer ()
Date: October 07, 2009 04:24PM

I am completely solitary as well (in person). It made me realize about a year ago that I have no living example before me who has gone raw for extended periods of time, and it makes me wonder what our potential is. Maybe we're near our potential, maybe we're nowhere near our potential, I don't know.

Stephanie

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: October 07, 2009 05:02PM

im pretty much solitary , my hubby eats alot of raw just because its here smiling smiley

most of my friends have no interest smiling smiley

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Posted by: plainlydressed ()
Date: October 07, 2009 06:17PM

Waving from "Solitary Confinement" in Central PA. =) Hubby eats whatever I fix for him, but still cooks his beloved meats and eats his processed foods. He loves my green smoothies and juices and big salads, but I'm all alone here as well. =(

"Educate and inform the whole mass of the people... They are the only sure reliance for the preservation of our liberty."
—Thomas Jefferson

Posted by: fiddler1 ()
Date: October 07, 2009 10:11PM

I too am living the solitary raw life. Many workmates, friends and family always want my recipes and love to come over to eat my food but are unwilling or unable to make the change themselves. Many say "I wish I could eat like you but I just can't give up my meat". I have the reputation at work as being "the healthiest eater alive". It keeps me from straying too far for fear that I might let them down! Many think it would be too much work.
I am a phys-ed teacher and many of my very impressionable teenage students ask about my eating habits. It really seems to make sense to them. I always do a demo class a few times a semester to let them taste and create some raw foods. They love it!
At home my meat eating boys and hubby always enjoy my raw salads, onion breads, macadamia and red pepper "cheese", raw brownies etc. If I didn't do it, they wouldn't eat it. My 17 year old tells me that he has great bm's after my foods! Glad I could be of help! Anyhow, we carry on and reap the benefits and try to help others on the way if we can.

Posted by: eaglefly ()
Date: October 07, 2009 11:04PM

Solitary.
I am in south central Pa,and its very meat and potatoes here.

Vinny

Date: October 07, 2009 11:45PM

Hey Vinny. Where in South-Central PA ?? I used to live in York County and also Dauphin County and worked in York, Hanover, and Harrisburg through the years. Sorry. Didn't mean to hijack this thread, but just got excited that there just might be a fellow RAW-ist within driving distance!! DINNER??!! *LOL* =)

"Educate and inform the whole mass of the people... They are the only sure reliance for the preservation of our liberty."
—Thomas Jefferson

Date: October 08, 2009 12:40AM

Cool!
Small world.
I live in Dover,just north of York.

Vinny

Date: October 08, 2009 12:54AM

That's awesome Vinny! I now live just south of Williamsport, close to Lewisburg. We should plan a meeting sometime just to drive our spouses crazy to hear us conspire about that nasty, boring RAW stuff they have to look at and hear about every day all day long!! LOL. I will send you a private message with my contact info, if that's ok.

—Thomas Jefferson

Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: October 08, 2009 01:03AM

I think many...or maybe even most folks are going raw on their own (I know that I did/do).....not having another person going raw too. In any event, no one ever eats quite the same or at the same level...even long-term raw food people.

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Date: October 08, 2009 01:10AM

Ok plainlydressed.
Thats fine.

It is neat that there is someone eating raw pretty close by.
Oh...there was supposed to be a raw restaurant opening up in Hanover in the town square,but havent heard when.I understand they give classes and everything.
We need to spread the word that eating raw is NOT boring.In fact it is so satisfying to eat a simple stalk of celery,knowing it is going in and doing me good,and not leaving anything bad behind.
I love raw.
I pray for the day when its the common way to eat.

Vinny

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/08/2009 01:11AM by eaglefly.

Date: October 08, 2009 01:21AM

Oh that's right !!!!! So glad you reminded me of that !!! The cafe is actually in New Oxford, on Route 30 between York and Gettysburg. I used to live just 2 miles down from the square in Abbottstown going east on 30. Anyway, here is the website and their "about us" pages. My hubby and I have been wanting to go down there someday. We should plan a meeting there. I THINK (??) you can order food there like a cafe.

[www.lovinglifecafe.com]

[www.lovinglifecafe.com]

—Thomas Jefferson

Posted by: Krefcenz ()
Date: October 08, 2009 01:50AM

It's a secret. Shhhhh.

Date: October 08, 2009 02:50AM

> We need to spread the word that eating raw is NOT
> boring.In fact it is so satisfying to eat a simple
> stalk of celery,knowing it is going in and doing
> me good,and not leaving anything bad behind.
> I love raw.
> I pray for the day when its the common way to
> eat.

We need to find a way to connect. Doing it online is not enough. I need to see someone in person, do things together, and know that the person is not going to fall far behind us in health, one after the other.

It's almost like we need to agree to move to a specific place, find jobs there, and continue to help raw fooders move so that we can reach some kind of critical mass. We're under siege here with society trying to kill every one of us.

Stephanie

Posted by: Trive ()
Date: October 08, 2009 02:52AM

Hey, TheNewGuy,

I visit this site often because I am doing it alone. Thank you all for being here! Fortunately, my wonderful, loving husband is supportive in that he listens to me talk about raw foods and tries things I make. However, saying there hasn't been much support from other people is an understatement. When I told one sister, you'd think I'd said, "I see dead people!" After I emailed my other sister, she emailed back a recipe for "Parmesan-Crusted Artichoke Cakes." Ingredients included 1 cup bread crumbs, 3/4 cup mayonnaise and 1/4 cup whipping cream. I count that as progress, though, because at least it didn't include meat! smiling smiley

Date: October 08, 2009 02:58AM

Stephanie,
I know your feeling.
What we can do is live our life,and be an example for others.
It will all be ok.

Vinny

Date: October 08, 2009 07:32PM

eaglefly Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Stephanie,
> I know your feeling.
> What we can do is live our life,and be an example
> for others.
> It will all be ok.
>
> Vinny

It will be too late for them. It will not be apparent to them until I'm in my 80s. I will be rockin' my drums off while they sit in their chairs under an afghan, and then go stand on top of the roof the next day. Plus, I'd have to find me dates half or one-third my age by then.

Stephanie

Posted by: Amarynth ()
Date: October 11, 2009 01:27AM

There's people from PA here?!

I'm solitary too. Upstate NY here and I'm willing to drive to PA for a raw meal! smiling smiley

Posted by: suncloud ()
Date: October 11, 2009 03:14AM

I know one other raw person who lives several miles away. I run into him down town about every 5 years or so. If he's on a bike, he has a big jar of fresh coco water and spoon meat (green coconut meat) with him. If he's in a truck, he has fresh coconuts in the back.

My husband is vegan, but not raw. I give a lot of credit to him for supporting me completely. I was never able to stick to raw until we teamed up. I told him I wished I could stay all raw. He said, "Well then, why don't you?" I couldn't think of a good reason. smiling smiley.

Posted by: luvyuu ()
Date: October 11, 2009 03:27AM

Yeah i'm alone... i do go to an occasional raw foods potluck... but that's about it...

actually i started when i was in spain and i was traveling with a raw foodist... it was nice... inspiring... she ate what she ate and i ate what i ate... but it was a lot nicer then i realized... when i came back to the states... i'm always surrounded by people who think i should eat meat..."you just need a good steak" heh heh heh"... it's a constant struggle... cause i do crave it... the smell of it cooking and i even dream of it... but i keep on... and i owe most of that to this forum and you wonderful people... thank you!!!!!

love laugh and dream

Posted by: OkunDeji ()
Date: October 16, 2009 04:04PM

I too am on my own, sort of, on this island. I have come across two men who were raw in the past ( for 3 & 6 months) and are they are no longer living that way. None of them can tell me why they went back to cooked, as they both report great health and strength whilst raw. I have heard of another more reclusive man who has been eating unfired for 30 years. I am seeking him out. I tried to garner interest in starting a pot luck and so far that fell flat on its face, so I here with you guys for support ;-)

Posted by: polskadot ()
Date: October 16, 2009 05:10PM

I'm doing it alone too, though I just started a couple of days ago. Everyone I've told so far has had the EXACT same response: "That is going to be really hard." And they all say it in such a way that I won't be able to do it. What a great motivator!
My boyfriend offered to go raw with me, but he lives 1200 miles away, so I'm not sure if that counts or not.

Posted by: Trive ()
Date: October 16, 2009 07:35PM

Instead of finding it "really hard," I have found it to be just the opposite - really easy. I, too, thought it would be hard and scary until I tried it and realized how simple and easy it actually is.

Whereas when I ate cooked food, I used to feel guilty about my food choices or how large a serving I took, now I eat as much raw food as I want and don't gain weight. That's liberating! No hunger or feeling of deprivation.

There's nothing hard about food prep and clean-up, either. Sometimes it's just grab and eat fruit. That's the fastest fast food there is! Clean-up is swish and drain. How easy is that!?!!

I guess the hardest part is doing it alone. Slowly, but surely, that will change as more people learn more about raw food, meet raw food lifestylers, and try it themselves. (At least I hope so.)

Date: October 17, 2009 03:06AM

Seems,thanks to this thread in itself,we ARENT really going it alone.
smiling smileysmiling smiley

Vinny

Posted by: ILoveJen ()
Date: October 20, 2009 02:48PM

alone.

Posted by: phantom ()
Date: October 25, 2009 06:37AM

I was solitary for the first 4-5 months of raw, doing strict natural hygiene.

Then I heard of a raw restaurant opening up down town, I went there, and I was BLOWN AWAY. I was like, "I'VE NEVER MET A REAL RAW FOODIST BEFORE!! OMG)(!@$*)!@#($*)!@(*$)!@($* I'VE ONLY MET YOU IN MY DREAMS AND ON THE INTERNET!!"

This forum was totally my lifeline...

Fast forward 2 years later... I (with the blessings of an investing partner) have a raw restaurant of my own. I am blessed to meet so many other people on the journey, and it is incredible. Even more incredible, though, has been the support of the community. To meet so many raw foodies in person, to hear their experiences, insight, and wisdom... is the most incredible thing ever. Seeing all the people in the community--all the other people going it alone--holding a little space for them to come and crawl out of the woodwork--is really gratifying. And there are literally all kinds of people who come, from all ages, all walks of life. It is humbling to be surrounded by so many insightful people.

All the raw foodists I have met in person are just as sweet and supportive and full of compassion as all the people who I have met here, online. Love is THE driving force in the movement, everywhere.

I used to drive 2-3 times a week 45 minutes into the city, ALONE, just to have a raw dinner by myself at the only two raw restaurants in the area.

Well, you are what you eat, right? =D

And people come from HOURS away!

I thought I was the only person who did these things, but there are people who do it everywhere and all the time. So please, know, that you are not alone. =)

I think part of the reason the physical support within the community is so strong, is because we have all been there, at some point or another, where the journey has felt completely solitary. It is one of the tests on the path...

Even if we don't know each other, in a way, we do know each other, because doing has a way of affecting being... We are also all connected by our actions, when we act out of love.

We need to keep reaching out to the world~! =)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables