Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Diet suggestions!
Posted by: newhoove ()
Date: October 07, 2009 07:14PM

Before I ask my question, here is my diet. Bare with me, my diet is a work in progress that is slowly progressing to raw.

Early Morning: fresh juice
Morning: 1-2 cups steamed cauliflower/broccoli, maybe an egg yolk
Lunch 4-5 bananas
Mid afternoon: mangos or more bananas
Dinner: Vegetables in a corn tortilla wrap

Ever since I introduced bananas/mangos to replace my other high caloric foods, I literally can't function. My speech is real choppy, my thought process is slow and my digestion is 'okay' but I have inflammation and bloating.

What the heck is going on?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Diet suggestions!
Date: October 07, 2009 07:17PM

P.S. days in which I eat fruit for 95-100% of my day, my brain function is even worse.

Posted by: plainlydressed ()
Date: October 07, 2009 07:27PM

I'm sure others will have more educational answers, but from my own personal experience, it sounds like you are attempting to mix raw with cooked and the body is confused. I, personally, experience sluggish confusion and an almost euphoric/dizzy feeling when I slip up on cooked food and still keep up with my RAW ingredients. It's like my body is fighting a losing battle trying to detox the toxic ingredients with the more RAW stuff I pump into my system, but can't win out over the cooked toxins that keep building up. I will also experience bloating, gas, cramps, and messed-up digestion when I mix the two. Things only settle down when I go 100% one way or the other so my body is no longer confused and not struggling so hard.

I'm not sure if this is the answer for your particular situation, but that's my own personal experience. Otherwise, it sounds like you're off to a great start. Congratulations as you keep at it and find what works best for YOU. Hang in there. =)

"Educate and inform the whole mass of the people... They are the only sure reliance for the preservation of our liberty."
—Thomas Jefferson

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: October 07, 2009 08:54PM

newhoove Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> P.S. days in which I eat fruit for 95-100% of my
> day, my brain function is even worse.

Bull****.

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: October 07, 2009 09:13PM

whats bullshit is telling someone their own personal experience is bullshit

do you feel that is being supportive in a support forum?

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Posted by: Utopian Life ()
Date: October 07, 2009 10:44PM

My guess is that you ned more calories and maybe the fat from the yolk isn't combining well with the fruit. Also for the corn tortilla wrap, are the vegetables cooked or raw? If cooked, how so?

Date: October 07, 2009 11:14PM

SuperInfinity Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> newhoove Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > P.S. days in which I eat fruit for 95-100% of
> my
> > day, my brain function is even worse.
>
> Bull****.

Your care and concern cuts through me like a knife. Thanks for choosing your words so carefully! I guess I should of asked for your opinion specifically through a PM. Your suggestion of 'bullshit' is so constructive and paints a pretty picture of how your raw diet is benefiting your emotional lability.

I have a history of taking multiple anti-biotics, leaky gut, candida, celiac, and crohn's disease. I have a history of intestinal inflammation, joint paint, and most likely brain inflammation.

Actually, I'm going to stop my post here. I'm putting too much thought into such negativity.

Date: October 07, 2009 11:35PM

You can choose to ignore any post you wish, New.

Date: October 07, 2009 11:36PM

Plainlydressed -- I think you are exactly correct. I am so worried about transitioning slowly, it may be making me worse. I need to really re-think my transition strategy. I wish I had a sebatical from school.

Utopian -- My next move was transitioning off of egg yolks and maybe replacing it with avocado (that probably wouldn't combine well either?). I should test eating fruit in the mornings and then eat a high fat meal. The veges I eat are steamed for about 5 minutes.

Thanks everyone!

Date: October 07, 2009 11:38PM

Oh, that's good the veggies are steamed and not sauteed/fried!

Yes, I think if you eat fat, try to eat it later in the day, even if it's avocado. Try to do 1/2 avocado or 1 oz. nuts per day and no more fat if you can (or transition slowly). This will help with digestion and with eating more fruit/nutrients!! smiling smiley

I hope you feel better soon.

Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: October 07, 2009 11:49PM

Superinfinity,

I've asked you before to not address people disrespectfully like you do. For now, I am giving you a 30 day break from the forum. After 30 days, I will re-enable your login account.

Posted by: flipperjan ()
Date: October 08, 2009 02:47PM

Newhoove

It's a very annoying fact but the 'cleaner' your system becomes the more easily things can trigger off an uncomfortable reaction.

Before I knew anything about raw I ate fruit whenever I felt like it and didn't notice any adverse reactions (that I was aware of smiling smiley ) but now I find that I really must eat all my fruit during the day BEFORE I eat anything else.

I know it is only a little bit of steamed veg and an egg yolk that you are eating in the morning but that takes longer to digest than the fruit that you put on top of it. That might certainly cause some bloating.

Maybe it is too many bananas for you at the moment - some people find them troublesome other folk swear by them. It is a bit of trial and error.

Don't worry about your diet being a work in progress - mine is too - ask as many questions as you like - most folk here are only too happy to try and help and support.

best wishes

Posted by: WorkoutMan ()
Date: October 08, 2009 03:41PM

I hope it is a raw egg yoke! Which are known to promote gut function.

Posted by: thenewguy ()
Date: October 08, 2009 05:23PM

Hmmm... the more I read, the more I'm thinking that I might be extra lucky regarding having a little cooked food occasionally.

I probably shouldn't comment on that subject any more. It appears that most people either 1) can't stop eating cooked and fall off the wagon or 2) Have severe digestive or other physical problems.

I'm going to post a new topic about this smiling smiley

Good luck newhoove! Sorry for the negativity in the thread earlier, looks like Bryan took care of if.

Bill

Posted by: RaeVynn ()
Date: October 08, 2009 06:32PM

I will second (third?) the idea that it would be best, if you are transitioning into raw, to stick with just raw early in the day, and save your not-raw items until later.

The raw fruit and veggies (not nuts, seeds, or avocado) will digest quickly.

The not raw items will take much, much longer to digest.

If you eat raw fruit and veggies AFTER not raw items, they will 'gang up' on it, because they are being held back in the tummy too long. Fresh fruit, especially, since it has all its natural enzymes, will start to ferment if it's too long in the tummy.

the 80/10/10 book talks about having fruit for breakfast - fruit for lunch - fruit, then a big veggie salad for dinner, where you might have some higher fat items (like half an avocado, or a few nuts/seeds), so that your digestion isn't bothered.

Hope this helps!

Live Well, Laugh Often, Love Much
We are all in this together!
Namasté

Date: October 09, 2009 02:29AM

thanks everyone!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables