Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Taste in Organic Celery
Posted by: deafdrummer ()
Date: October 09, 2009 03:02AM

What is going on with the taste of celery sold in this part of the country (Texas)?!? I haven't found the salty celery except on rare occasions in the last ten years. What's going on?

I think someone may have hit it on the head when it was mentioned that something was used to bind the iodine to the salt.

Is iodine a nutrient that is not being found in sufficient amounts in our food? Thusly, it's the iodine we crave and not the salt - if it had been bound to sugar instead of salt, would we be fighting to get off deserts and not salty foods?

The other question is, what is the addictiveness of inorganic iodine? Could it be we're hooked on iodine and not the salt itself?

Stephanie

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Taste in Organic Celery
Posted by: mysbenson ()
Date: October 09, 2009 03:08AM

I haven't heard about anyone binding iodine to the salt in celery. If you're getting organic celery you wouldn't be getting celery tampered with. Organic celery does not taste salty, it has that celery taste that is unique, the celery that tastes tinny is not organic. Celery taste is so unique I can't describe it but I can tell if celery was grown in an organic field that has soil rehabilitation or not from the taste, I have been eating celery so long. Celery has a lot of natural sodium in it, not salt. Salt is sodium chrloride. Natural sodium does not have the salty taste of sodium chloride. You may perceive the salt in celery on a deep level but it would not taste like table salt if it is organic. If you have never had organic celery, try some. Best, Mys Benson

Date: October 09, 2009 03:27AM

mysbenson Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I haven't heard about anyone binding iodine to the
> salt in celery.

No, no, no. Iodine bound to the salt in table salt.

Oh h***, I'm tired. I didn't even noticed I left out organic in the body of the message. I meant organic celery. It might be one out of every thirty bunches that might have the taste it should have (sodium taste). Otherwise, it's just got that "celery seed" taste. It's bland in that case.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/09/2009 03:30AM by deafdrummer.

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: October 09, 2009 11:33AM

deafdrummer,

Are you getting whole celery, or celery hearts? The latter are an industry favorite because the public tends to prefer tender texture to decisive savory taste where celery is concerned. Celery hearts are naturally more bland, because they're the most immature part of the stalk. I don't know what's happened with celery, period. Once in a while I buy conventional celery to make something for others and I'll pop a slice in my mouth and go, "bleh!" It's like the celery taste is being bred out of celery . . .

Posted by: Wheatgrass Yogi ()
Date: October 09, 2009 11:41AM

I juice a lot of Organic Whole Celery. The Stalk is usually
pretty dirty, but washing each Rib takes care of it.
I like the rich Earthy taste.....WY

Date: October 12, 2009 02:39AM

I always get whole celery. It usually is organic, and the taste is bland most of the time.

Stephanie

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: October 12, 2009 04:39PM

Stephanie,

The only thing I can think of is to contact the grower and ask about their methods, i.e. "do you blanch the stalks prior to harvest?" You might mention that the celery doesn't have the usual pungent celery flavor and that this is disappointing in an organic product. That might give the grower pause. Good luck.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables