Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

I Eat Rubies For Breakfast (Pomegranates)
Posted by: tropical ()
Date: October 19, 2009 06:24PM

Hey, the pomegranates are in the stores (just as the watermellon are leaving). Anyone else enjoying them or are they not in your stores yet. Anyone have any tips for picking a good one. There is usually no problem with them, I did get one that was not ripe yet and the berries had little color, many pomegranates will have a few bad berries too. But I mostly love them. I get them for $1.65 each (conventional).

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: I Eat Rubies For Breakfast (Pomegranates)
Posted by: RaeVynn ()
Date: October 19, 2009 06:42PM

As soon as I can get them for less than $3 each, I'm there!

Live Well, Laugh Often, Love Much
We are all in this together!
Namasté

Posted by: EZ rider ()
Date: October 19, 2009 07:24PM

I got some yesterday at an oriental market for $1.49 a pound which was $6.63 divided by 4 pome's thats about $1.66 each. I like to get the pome's with the deepest red color I can. I havn't had any pome's since last winter so I had to kinda re-learn my technique of scoring the skin and breaking them apart.

Posted by: plainlydressed ()
Date: October 19, 2009 10:00PM

How do you know when they are ripe? I just saw them today at my supermarket @ 2/$4.00. I LOVE pomes, but always thought they were too expensive for regular consumption. Is there any trick to know when they are edible?

"Educate and inform the whole mass of the people... They are the only sure reliance for the preservation of our liberty."
—Thomas Jefferson

Posted by: Trive ()
Date: October 20, 2009 12:22AM

I always make a glorious mess when eating a pomegranate, so when (a while back) I saw Martha Stewart de-seed one sooooo easily, I decided to give it a try. I scored it with a knife and hit it with a spoon the way I remembered her doing. My result was much splatting and very few seeds. Hmmm, wrong end? I tried with another pomegranate, cutting from the other end. Again, much splatting and very few seeds. By the time I finished, the kitchen looked like a crime scene! I have since watched a You Tube video, "Chef's Trick" and see what I was doing wrong. If I find them 2/$4.oo, I'll give the de-seeding another go!

The Joy of Cooking (Ha!) cookbook says to avoid pinkish, dull-looking pomegranates and that they dry out quickly at room temperature. (It didn't describe what ripe should look like. I assume it is plump and red.)

My favorite raw vegan

Date: October 21, 2009 05:51PM

They ARE a little expesive, I consider them a luxery item and we only eat 1 per day. I eat them by cutting off one end so I have a stable base to cut it into fourths. Then I put that fourth in a bowl on top of a paper towel and pick the berries out. The paper towel is both to wipe my hands and keep juice from splattering. It can take a while to eat a pomegrante this way, think TV finger food.

Posted by: jamielor ()
Date: October 21, 2009 06:22PM

I juice mine on a citrus juicer with oranges. It's not messy at all. I don't like the texture of the seeds but I love the juice!

Posted by: phantom ()
Date: October 25, 2009 06:08AM

Mmmm... I am going to get myself a whole box of them this week. >8)

Last winter, I had it down to about 5 minutes/pomegranate for peeling.

When my raw roommate and I were both eating them, the kitchen floor was always SO MESSY!!! Like a CRIME SCENE!!!! =D

Posted by: Lizard ()
Date: October 26, 2009 12:22PM

Wonderful post! I just bought two in the store to try. I cut one open and there was no fruit, just seeds. Humm...so I'm guessing it wasn't ripe? What should it look like? Taste like? I had some fresh pomegranite juice the other day and know I'd love to try the fruitsmiling smiley

Posted by: loeve ()
Date: October 26, 2009 12:55PM

I've had a few and heard that if you gently press and roll it around the countertop some of the juice will separate inside, then with your hands it can be sqeezed out into a bowl. It worked though it's bloody messy. Then the remaining juicy seeds can be separated from the more bitter pithy matrix.

Posted by: loeve ()
Date: October 26, 2009 01:49PM

This is what the 'seeds' should look like --

[k53.pbase.com]

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: October 26, 2009 05:17PM

Trive,

The best way to seed a pomegranate is to have someone you love do it for you : )

Posted by: Trive ()
Date: October 26, 2009 05:30PM

Tamukha,
Great suggestion!

My favorite raw vegan

Posted by: EZ rider ()
Date: October 27, 2009 12:07AM

Lizard

I cut one open and there was no fruit, just seeds.

The seeds are the prize in the Pome because they are like little bags that contain the delicious juice.
If you still have the Pome try eating the seeds.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/27/2009 12:08AM by EZ rider.

Date: October 27, 2009 02:59PM

I should mention why pomegranates are so great. I never gave them much attention until I read this article about how a 1/4 cup of pomegranate juice a day made a big difference in arteriosclerosis. I'm assuming that the participants in this study were on the SAD diet since it doesn't say otherwise.

[www.all-creatures.org]
Reversing Arteriosclerosis with Pomegranate Juice
Michael Greger, M.D.
[www.veganMD.org]

Folk medicine has been extolling the medicinal qualities of pomegranates for thousands of years. Modern science has been a bit slow catching up, but with the fruit's intense ruby red color, it should come as no surprise it has topped the antioxidant charts, blowing blueberries right out of the water. But Israeli researchers have just permanently placed pomegranates on the map with a landmark study published this summer in the journal Clinical Nutrition.[1]

The researchers took a group of people coming into a vascular surgery clinic with severe carotid artery blockage--the arteries in their neck providing blood flow to their brain were 70-90% obstructed. Half of the patients were then instructed to drink a little less than a quarter cup of pomegranate juice every day for a year.

At the end of the year, the arteriosclerotic plaques in the arteries of those who did nothing predictably worsened, thickening 9%, closing their arteries off even further. But in the pomegranate juice group, after just 3 months the plaques in their arteries shrank 13%. By 9 months the plaque was down 26%. And after one year of drinking less than a quarter cup of pomegranate juice a day, the arteriosclerotic lesions were 35% reversed. The investigators attribute the anti-arteriosclerotic properties of pomegranates to the antioxidant polyphenols (which I talk about in my new Stopping Cancer DVD).

So should we start forking out $4 a bottle for that "Pom Wonderful" juice that started popping up in grocery stores? Well, you can get cheaper (and organic!) pomegranate juice in your natural food store, but the whole fruit is always preferable to juice--you get the additional benefits of the fiber and other nutrition discarded during processing. Expect to start seeing pomegranates in your local produce section as the growing season peaks around October.

Posted by: Lizard ()
Date: October 27, 2009 04:22PM

Thank you all for the wonderful information. I can't wait to try the other one I bought, I guess I'll give it another week before I cut into it. Gives me something new to look forward tosmiling smiley Thanks again all.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables