Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

nauseous, dizzy, and weak on 100 percent raw
Posted by: musicbebe ()
Date: October 19, 2009 09:17PM

I had been eating mostly raw foods with some cooked food before determining to go 100 percent raw to get rid of these hemerrhoids I've developed, because its my last hope before surgery. I am feeling nauseous, dizzy, and weak. I thought it is either detox, or maybe the non-organic apples I am eating in abundance. If its detox, how long am I likely to keep experiencing these symptoms for? I've lost a whole lot of weight over the past 10 months, and am now at a very lean weight. I feel I should have done most of my detoxing with my mostly raw diet. Anyone gone from mostly raw for at least a year to 100 percent raw? And how was detox and how long did those symptoms last for? Thanks!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: nauseous, dizzy, and weak on 100 percent raw
Posted by: plainlydressed ()
Date: October 19, 2009 09:48PM

It might for us to know what your daily diet is. We might be able to better help with suggestions. Can you share your daily diet intake?

"Educate and inform the whole mass of the people... They are the only sure reliance for the preservation of our liberty."
—Thomas Jefferson

Date: October 19, 2009 11:02PM

Right now I'm eating lots of raw apple pie, with a crust of soaked pecans, walnuts, raw oat flour, raisins, and dates, and filling of (non-organic) local apples, and a little agave nectar and lemon juice and raisins. Soooo good. Also salads with raw flax oil, raw apple cider vinegar, and braggs liquid aminos. Also some guacamole and carrots, green smoothie (dandelion, raw oj, pineapple, orange), and that's been it. I need to go shopping for variety. Maybe its been 30/30/30 for fruit/veggie and greens/fats and protein (nuts). I have felt this way before when trying close to 100 percent, and then my foods I ate were a little different. I tend to think I'm feeling this way less because of what raw food I am eating and more because of what I'm not eating (ie, ezekiel bread, baked potatoes, cooked soups etc...). But maybe you all have some different insight.

Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: October 20, 2009 02:22AM

You are still eating many processed items....and some of these items (or just certain combinations of items) may not be working for YOU. You'll have to experiment with individual items to see how they make you feel. In any event, make sure you are eating regularly...and getting enough calories....and you should do well.

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Posted by: deafdrummer ()
Date: October 20, 2009 03:23AM

I have to warn everyone - FIRE IN THE HOLE! (running off into the foxhole)

------------------

BRAGG LIQUID AMINOS: TOXIC AND UNHEALTHFUL
Compiled by David Klein
www.livingnutrition.com

Below is information I received from an associate on the saltiness of Bragg Liquid Aminos. Below is the text from her letter. Before I get to it, I’ll give some background information on her, so you’ll know where she is coming from.

Griselda Blazey has a B.S. in biology, a M.S. is biochemistry, and a Ph.D. (actually a postdoctorate) in endocrinology. She also has a degree from the now defunct College of Dietary Therapy in England. She authored a book, "Food Matters", and a workbook called, "Nutritional Transformation," and used to teach a course by that name. She taught cell physiology, metabolic disorders, and nutrition at Life Chiropractic College West, in San Leandro, California in the mid-1990s then moved on the New Zealand and has been teaching at colleges there. The first time I heard her theory on the saltiness of Bragg Liquid Aminos was during a lecture she gave at a San Francisco Living Foods Support Group meeting a few years ago. Here is the text from her letter:

"The other topic you asked about in your letter was about how Bragg Aminos are made. Once again, here’s an armchair biologist’s answer, meaning that I don’t know this for sure, but it’s the only thing that makes scientific sense. If I were given some vegetable protein and were asked to make it into amino acids without spending a lot of money on it, I would boil it up with some hydrochloric acid. This would break it down to amino acids, but of course it would be too acidic to be palatable. So I would then neutralize the acid with baking soda, causing the reaction mixture to look like this:

2HCl + Na2CO3 ===> 2NaCl + CO2 + H2O

So the salt gets made by mistake as it were. Now someone (I forget who) followed up on this and contacted the Bragg company to ask if this was how they did it, and they denied it. However, they didn’t disclose how they do actually do it, so in the absence of correct information, and with an extremely salty taste in their product, I still consider the above process to play at least some part in their procedure."

2. From the [www.living-foods.com] Forum
“My point” by Michael
18/06/99 05:59:17

After reading the speculations about Bragg Liquid Aminos posted on this forum and hearing horror stories from others (my sister talked with a man who said he quit using it because it gave him nightmares) I decided to just jump right out and ask the Bragg company themselves.

Decide for yourself if you feel like using it.

1. Is hydrochloric acid used at any time in the production of Bragg Liquid Aminos? I have been told that it is used to separate the aminos from the soybeans (like isolated soy protein) and gives it the salty flavor.

Yes, our product is hydrolyzed in the process.

2. Are you aware of the dangerous effects of glutamic acid within the human body? Do you plan on taking measures to remove glutamic acid from Bragg Liquid Aminos?

The glutamic acid is naturally occurring and cannot be isolated to remove it as an individual amino acid. In our laboratory results analyses show that the Liquid Aminos contain no monosodium glutamate.

3. If BLA is neither heat processed nor fermented, could you please explain why it does not turn rancid at room temperature as opposed to requiring refrigeration?

Our liquid aminos does go rancid if kept out of the cupboard or out of the refrigerator. We suggest storing in a cupboard or the refrigerator. It is the same reason ketchup or soy sauce, or jam, or peanut butter do not go bad if kept in the cupboard. Eventually they will all go bad.

3. A group e-mail message:
November 2, 1998

Hi all:

A while back we were had chatted here and questioned whether above has MSG or not and Patricia Bragg said NO.

We'll here's some info that says yes, and FDA had her remove her NO MSG label. You can check on the documentation self. A friend sent this is who a researcher. I don't have his permission to release his name, but this should ans. the question on YES, above has MSG per FDA.

"MSG-sensitive people react to any glutamic acid that has been freed from protein through a manufacturing process providing that they ingest an amount that exceeds their individual tolerance for the substance. Consequently, consumers refer to all processed free glutamic acid as MSG. This fact was acknowledged by the FDA in the "FDA Backgrounder" dated August 31, 1995.

Under Section 403 of the Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act it is deceptive and misleading to say "No MSG" or "No MSG added" on a processed food label that contains free glutamic acid. It is for this reason that the FDA forced Live Products, manufacturer of Bragg Liquid Aminos, to remove the words "No MSG" from the product's label."

Carol, Colorado

4. Subject: Bragg's
Date: Wed, 02 Jan 2002 23:07:58 -0800

Dear Dave, Was there an article in your publication about Bragg's Liquid Aminos being made with hydrochloric acid and therefore a dead-food, not a live food like Patricia Bragg claims? I am asking because I used to work for Patricia and I know the truth about the liquid aminos. I am considering telling it all and need to know if there is anyone in the health food field that would like to know if I spill the beans. Thanks for your help.
Ruth Wilner.

5. Subject: Re: bragg's
Date: Sat, 27 Apr 2002 21:35:57 -0700

The factory that makes the liquid aminos is named Walker Foods and it is in LA somewhere. I think that the recipe is a trade secret and they will not divulge how it is made...but I don't think they can deny the hydrochloric acid.

I did NOT work at Walker Foods. I worked for Patricia Bragg at her headquarters in Goleta, California. I was aware of the process by which liquid aminos was made, but never witnessed it being made.

I heard it through reliable sources that the soybean slurry (collected from soybean leftovers) is covered with hydrochloric acid in vats and left to "digest" .

The beans and acid mixture produces it's own heat, Patricia denies that it is heated beyond 98° and I tend to believe that.

I think Patricia tells people it is simply made with beans in barrels of water for obvious reasons. She is a self-proclaimed health crusader and I think she really wants to believe that it is made with pure distilled water only. She also doesn't want to loose her customers, or credibility with her health followers. She will not even listen to others who tell her that mislabeling a product is not honest, nor legal.

If you think about it, hydrochloric acid is a natural product, produced by our bodies every second of everyday we live. It is what digests our food and supplies nutrition to our bodies. There is nothing unhealthy about hydrochloric acid. What is unhealthy is the addition of the base to neutralize the acid...this is what gives the beans the salty flavor...I believe it to be something on the order of baking soda, another product that is not inherently bad for us in small quantities.

Bragg does not isolate any of the proteins released by the hydrochloric bath. The liquid that rises to the surface in the procedure is skimmed off, neutralized and bottled, making it concentrated protein.

So, is this bad? I believe that the product is not unhealthy. It is salty tasting but tests at only 10% of table salt. It tests with no msg detected at all except for a trace of glutamic acid (an amino acid.) Why then does Bragg deny the addition of hydrochloric acid and the base to neutralize it? I am at a loss to explain that.

I hope this helps you with your questions. Please get back to me with your thoughts. Ruth

6. From: Jack M. Ebner, Ph.D.

I just saw the 'warning' you posted on Bragg's Aminos. I, too, was a victim of this crap. I used it liberally for at least two years and upon fasting, what I noticed was the smell of this substance coming out of my body whereupon I knew that whatever it was, it wasn't a
substance the body was able to use contrary to what the bottle has printed on it. I broke that particular fast at 10 days even though I knew I needed to go longer as the smell was still coming out. That's the good news. The bad news is that I now have noticeable varicose veins on the back of my left thigh, right back knee cap and in both calves the
veins stick out also. I know it was the Braggs as my diet other than that was pretty clean and I observe all the other tenets of Natural Hygiene. That stuff hardened up my veins and arteries. I was playing volleyball 2 1/2 years ago and went up to hit the ball and felt something snap in the back of my left thigh. My tissues was so ossified, I snapped a tendon or some muscle tissue and crawled off the court. It took two weeks in bed and off my legs and another two weeks of walking like a cripple before I regained the ability to walk normally.

I did a 15 day fast last September and could smell the Braggs coming out again but this time I got it all. Unfortunately the varicosed veins are still there. I don't think there's anything short of surgical removal that will disappear them. Have you heard of anyone disappearing them hygienically or otherwise non-surgically? Just thought I’d share my
experience with Braggs in case that will help others you may choose to share same with.

Jack M. Ebner, Ph.D.
Biophysiology
Kailua-Kona, Hawaii

7. From: Madelyn K. Hill
Date: Sun, 15 Sep 2002 08:38:00 -0400
Subject: LABELING LAWS DON'T 'BRAG' ABOUT HIDING MSG IN AMINO ACIDS

MSG is the sodium salt of the AMINO ACID glutamic acid and a form of glutamate. Read on and you will see how the labeling laws permit it to be hidden in everything from soap to vitamins to condiments to food. Hydrolyzed proteins or protein hydrolysates are acid treated or enzymatically treated which contain salts of free AMINO ACIDS.

MSG can aggravate existing conditions or cause burning sensations, rapid heartbeat, asthma and neurological damage. That's just within 3 hours of use. Becomes less safe depending on quantities ingested or applied and condition of one's health. Over
extended periods of time, studies show it can cause cancer, MS, MSG symptom complex, brain lesions, nerve cell damage, gastrointestinal problems and so on. The body uses glutamate as a nerve impulse transmitter with glutamate response tissues in
others parts of the body as well. Abnormal function of glutamate receptors have been linked to most every type of neurological disease including Alzheimer's, Huntington's chorea.

The level of other vitamins in your system (including B6) can also determine the impact it can have.

MSG goes under many names including monosodium glutamate. Do you know what glutamate is? AN AMINO ACID.

MSG is only one type of free glutamate, so foods stating no MSG or no added MSG can be misleading, as hydrolyzed protein is a form of free glutamate.

Monosodium glutamate goes under the name of glutamate, AMINO ACID, monosodium glutamate, glutamic acid, calcium caseinate, sodium caseinate, gelatin, textured protein, hydrolyzed protein, yeast extract. Most of the time, containing MSG are malt, barley malt, bouillon, stock, carrageenan, maltodextrin, whey protein, pectin (anything enzyme modified). NATURAL FLAVORS, protein fortified, soy protein.

The following can be used to create MSG: protease enzymes, fungal protease.

MSG can be used in soaps, shampoos, hair conditioners. The most common hiding places are in ingredients called 'hydrolyzed proteins and, amino acids.

Aspartic acid found in aspartame and nutra sweet causes MSG reactions.

Binders and fillers for medications, nutrients and supplements may contain MSG.

December, 2003 letter to Bragg
From John Tsevdos <Jtsevdos@JTEnterprises.com>
John received no reply.

To whom it may concern:

I have been a faithful customer of your “bragg’s amino acids seasoning” for several years. Lately I have heard from more than once source that your product is not “live”. I also heard reports of it being over-acidic something I am sure you know contributes to candida (yeast fungus). I have tried calling you to get answers to this several times. I was told someone would call me back who was qualified & never did. Then I was told I’d get something in the mail that answers my questions (I also did not get). I am sending you hard copies of the reports I have gotten from a nutritional researcher. I believe there are “2 sides of a story” so I am giving you a chance to reply. If I do not get a reply, because of that AND the fact that no one has ever verbally replied to my calls, I will consider that an admission of guilt. I will use of what seasoning I have left & never buy your product again.
I look forward to a timely response. Should you have any further questions, please call me at * bet. 10-5 PM EST. Thank you.

John Tsevdos

MSG, is it really the devil?
Posted by: eran ()
Date: October 20, 2009 04:49AM

A few month ago, I was amazed to find out that there is loads of MSG in many products I was consuming. I decided to do some MSG research.

Apparently, the anti MSG propaganda started when this researcher, who felt a bit of a headache after dining in Chinese restaurants, linked MSG to the headaches, and called the phenomenon "The Chinese Syndrome".

Studies were attempted, isolation of MSG was always successful, and not even one study actually showed any solid evidence linking MSG to any health problems.. But since those propagandas grow regardless of any sound logic, MSG is believed to be a horrible thing, which the healthiest populations of the world has been consuming for centuries...

I would name it, my friends, "scientific reductionism".

Have a great day!

Posted by: Utopian Life ()
Date: October 20, 2009 10:46AM

I think your diet is too high fat and processed as well. Try eating just fruit and tender greens and give it at least 2 weeks.

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: October 20, 2009 01:16PM

musicbebe,

Agreed with Utopian Life. Your regimen seems to me to be transitional, but sort of in a holding pattern, perhaps? Are you finding your body craving simpler, whole foods yet? This might be a sign that it's time to refine the combinations and do more mono-eating to get concentrated nutrients. If you aren't experiencing a change in appetite, and weight loss aside, do you feel generally well, with recent acute dizziness, nausea, etc.? Or have these been present for a long time? If so, it could be that you are developing some sort of deficiency; testing may be warranted. In either case, please keep us posted.

Date: October 20, 2009 01:41PM

Yes, I would really prefer having an abundance of other simpler fruits and veggies. Money is an issue though. I agree that braggs isn't the best, but I was having that before PLUS cooked foods. I would think that even though some of my "raw" food choices aren't perfect, the fact that I'm not eating COOKED food is a big improvement, but why do I feel worse without cooked food? Which makes me think its detox, or maybe a deficiency, or in the absence of cooked food my body is extra sensitive to the braggs, or to the pesticides in those conventional apples? Or maybe I'm pregnant...I'm gonna take a test today grinning smiley

Date: October 20, 2009 06:24PM

Yeah. I'm pregnant smiling smiley smiling smiley smiling smiley. So it's just a little morning sickness...

Posted by: OkunDeji ()
Date: October 20, 2009 11:24PM

congratulations musicbebe :>winking smiley

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: October 21, 2009 01:41AM

congrats musicbebe !! grinning smiley a baby rawbie ! grinning smiley

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: October 21, 2009 01:06PM

musicbebe,

You must be so relieved! Congrats!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables