Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

How much protein in a day?
Posted by: Lizard ()
Date: October 28, 2009 01:06PM

I've never focused on my protein intake and I'm just curious how much everyone gets in a day? I know it's not important for us to have alot but how many grams do we need? Is there such a number or an average? sorry if this has been asked before.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: How much protein in a day?
Posted by: plainlydressed ()
Date: October 28, 2009 02:12PM

This is one of my favorite videos answering that question. I know the answer in my head/heart, but find it hard to articulate it in scientific terms to those people who often ask me that question in a way that they can understand and that makes sense to them. I love this video and found it very helpful for me in explaining my raw diet to others from the SAD world:

[www.youtube.com]

Here's another helpful video by David Wolfe. Not quite as thorough, but a quick overview of sources that cover most all of our varied preferences. Some Raw Foodists prefer to stay away from the nuts and seeds (which is why I like the first video explanation above the best), but David just gives a quick list of suggestions in this video that might be helpful in your research:

[www.youtube.com]

"Educate and inform the whole mass of the people... They are the only sure reliance for the preservation of our liberty."
—Thomas Jefferson

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/28/2009 02:23PM by plainlydressed.

Date: October 28, 2009 04:16PM

Thanks Plainlydressed,

That first video made me say "duh", he he. Thank you so muchsmiling smiley

Posted by: debbietook ()
Date: October 28, 2009 06:49PM

Hi Lizard

On the rare occasions I've put my day's eating into Cron-o-Meter I've had all sorts of protein figures from around 20 to 40g.

Here's an excerpt from a blog article of mine on protein:

'How much protein do we need?

No one knows how much protein you, as an individual, need to consume at this precise point in your life. What scientists have come up with over the years is figures based on what they believe the average person needs.

And what's interesting is that the recommended daily protein figure has been revised downwards several times since it was first set.

'Learning materials' on protein were first distributed in the 1930s and were provided by...the meat, dairy and egg industries. Our grandparents were indoctrinated in the idea that we must eat animal products to obtain sufficient protein and at one stage the US Govt RDA was 118 grams!

In the 80s the RDA fell to 46-56g and many now feel 20-30g a day is adequate (or about 1 gram per five pounds of body weight). (In fact, even in the 60s some were recommending 20-30g, eg Hegsted DM Minimum Protein requirements of adults American Journal Clinical Nutrition May 68). In the UK, the figure is still around 50g and is much higher than the World Health Organisation recommendation of 30g.

So - what the 'experts' said 80 years ago regarding protein wasn't actually correct. Small comfort for those brought up to eat T-bone steaks for 'strength' suffering from bowel cancer now. Or for those with clogged arteries due to high intake of meat fat, dairy and eggs. In fact, more illnesses are due to an excess of (animal) protein in the form of meat and dairy than to any 'shortfall'.
So, from 118g a day, we're now down to...20-30g? And bear in mind these recommendations are for the average person.'

The full article is here:

[debbietookrawforlife.blogspot.com]

(Also, the less we abuse our bodies, the less protein (eg for maintenance/repair) we should need.)

Date: October 28, 2009 08:21PM

Such great information, thank you all! I love this place:>

Posted by: plainlydressed ()
Date: October 28, 2009 10:03PM

Lizard Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thanks Plainlydressed,
>
> That first video made me say "duh", he he. Thank
> you so muchsmiling smiley

** GIGGLE ** I know !!! That's exactly the same reaction I had also!! =) I've been wondering all these years how to explain to others how we get protein on a VEGAN diet, but it took my transition to RAW for me to find the answer for the best explanation! =)

debbietook - EXCELLENT article!! Have filed that away for my own future reference as well. THANK YOU !! =) Love finding ways to prove "them" wrong. Heh. =)

"Educate and inform the whole mass of the people... They are the only sure reliance for the preservation of our liberty."
—Thomas Jefferson

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/28/2009 10:04PM by plainlydressed.

Posted by: ILoveJen ()
Date: November 02, 2009 10:03PM

great article.

Posted by: eaglefly ()
Date: November 02, 2009 10:34PM

I heard somewhere your body needs about 23 grams a day.
If so,it is easily had from fruits,veggies,sprouts,and seeds.
All of that being very assimilable. Basically predigested.

Vinny

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables